1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota acknowledges mistakes...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Masada, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    Masada

Masada [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    With all the recent doom and gloom threads about Toyota, I thought i would post this commercial I saw last night. It was nice to see someone take responsibility for their product in an age of finger pointing and blame shifting.

Video cannot be embedded click here to watch.

I don't think I have ever seen any other auto manufacturer step up and take responsibility like this.

I for one applaud Toyota for admitting, publicly, they have some quality control/design issues and are taking steps to rectify the issues.

While this may not be a perfect fix, it is a step in the right direction that other manufacturers usually don't take this quickly.

2. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Disabled by request, that was fast.

3. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Hey, it worked for Microsoft. Their Windows 7 commercials spend a heck of a lot of time bashing Vista and talking about how revolutionary it is that the new operating system actually works.

4. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Double click on the vid, and it will open, and play in a separate window. :)

5. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Masada

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Sorry about that...

it can still be seen here on YouTube

I should have caught that, as it says so right on the embedded link section...

6. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

I still hold them accountable for ME..................:mad:

7. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    While its nice to see a corporation admit publicly that they have made mistakes and their quality has been compromised in later years, it is what it is - a pluck at the American heart strings to gain market share.

8. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Got it, thanks Chris.
    They've hired a pretty good PR firm, that's a real good start.

9. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    I didn't watch the video, but i remember seeing GM do a commercial stating similar things last year.

10. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
  11. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    Masada

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Some people will never be happy until you get a personal apology letter from Toyota. This is a step in the right direction wouldn't you agree? And isn't it better to have them come out and say they have problems rather than sit and say nothing like the rest of the automotive world when the stuff hits the fan?

12. Feb 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Who said I wasn't happy? And I did say it was great to see a modern day corporation admit their mistakes. But get real. The commercial was made to both apologize AND as an attempt to hold their market share. Do you really think their sole intention was to make their current vehicle owners feel warm and cozy, or to try and maintain "face" and market share? Which there is nothing wrong with by the way - as most people gobble it all up. Would you agree?;)

A far less effective way to handle the situation would be to mail apology letters to ALL affected Toyota owners who are feeling this on the front lines. Instead they wisely spent the money for ALL the population to see, and gain attention to ALL consumers. Don't be naive and think it was a sincere apology only, they are trying to capitalize the best they can on a negative situation. Its all marketing if you remain unbiased and view it objectively.

13. Feb 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    The truth is that Toyota knew about the problems long before they became public. There are numerous politicians they lobbied heavily over the years that have discreetly insulated Toyota from the same degree of scrutiny and criticism aimed at US auto manufacturers. This has nothing to do with actual quality, it has everything to do with perceived quality which is all the marketing people care about. The perceptions people have now of Toyota is that it's corporate culture covered up known problems. It won't destroy Toyota, but it may well narrow or eliminate the $2500 per car "quality variance" it has to US manufacturers.

Products Discussed in

To Top