1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hoepuncher, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Feb 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    hoepuncher

hoepuncher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hello all,

I think i have a battery issue but not sure. Here's what happened:

I tried starting my truck the other day but all I heard was clicks...the lights and radio was working just fine and I don't think i left any lights on.. I figured a jump might work from a co worker so it turns out that it worked. I'm not sure what's wrong, the truck is an 08 so I don't think the battery would be bad just yet...

The only thing I can think of is my iPod2car adapter which charges the iPod for 1 hour after turning off the ignition. Do you guys think this is the culprit? I did leave it in overnight to see If it would drain again but so far everything has been working just fine. The only thing i did was tighten the battery terminals.

I'm just scared that this will happen again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Feb 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    hoepuncher

hoepuncher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks ryan. I'll try cleaning the terminals today and search for a way to disable to charging feature after the car is shut off. I hope I don't have to buy a new battery soon..

3. Feb 9, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I wouldn't think your Ipod charger would run the battery down that far. I regularly leave my cell phone in the truck on charge overnight and have a VHF radio that I leave on continuously as well.

I have a battery tester in my toolbox but unfortunately that is of no value to you. They (battery testers) are pretty common though and Autozone, pep Boys, or an independent shop should be able to check the battery for you.

Also I think the battery warranty may be prorated. Check with your dealer to see.

4. Jul 10, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    20tacoma06

20tacoma06 Member

Member:
    Do you have Lojack in your truck? My other car is 1998 Nissan Maxima which sits in the the garage for 7 days and have the same problem. I called the Lojack and it gave me two options.
    First, $79 plus the backup battery for the Lojack. Or
    Second, buy the batter tender (per Ryan's suggestion) and plug it in.

Hope it helps,
    :)

5. Jul 10, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    Tennessee Mike

Tennessee Mike New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pre-runner
    Fortech is right .An ipod chrarger does not draw enough current to kill your battery. In warm climates batteries can die any time for no reason. A good shop or Sears can give your battery a stress teat to check if it's holding a charge. Also they can check your charging sysytem to make sure battery is kept fully charged
    Good luck

6. Jul 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Put a digital volt meter on the battery. A fully charged new battery will be about 12.7 volts at 80 degrees. If it's 12.5 volts it about gone. Less than that you should replace it. Numbers will be a little less for a gel cell i.e; Optima.

Also start the engine and put the meter on it. It should be registering 13.5 -14.5 volts while charging. Anything less than that and you have a charging system problem.

A digital volt meter is a must when tracking electrical problems. You can check all kinds of stuff without having to remove the battery and running it down to the auto parts store for checking.

7. Jul 10, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    t_e

t_e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    miami,fl
    same thing happened to me about a month ago. everything worked fine inside but battery clicked. your battery is done it wont hold charge probably due to a weak or failed cell.

Products Discussed in

To Top