Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bad design Toyota! Water leak expected. WTF! Recall... oh sorry TSB!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #21
Coprolite
monrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to all

monrad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf023 View Post
Any idea what a seal for the cowl looks like?

Replaces the OP's bungie cord.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #22
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monrad View Post
Just for clarification...

In all the time you've owned your '06 prior to having the windshield replaced, it never rained and you didn't wash your truck?
Still waiting on an answer to this.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #23
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Stop it already!!!

I hate seeing this shit!! And honestly, If I wasn't so loyal to Tacomas - I honestly don't know what else I'd buy. I don't like anything else!!!
I never gave anything else a chance - so maybe that's my problem. I find it hard to spend $30K on something that I don't feel 'warm & fuzzy' about.

Seriously...Thanks for posting. This stuff just makes me sick.

Like I've said before....I hope all this crap is a BIG WAKE UP CALL for them to get their shit back to the way it used to be. QUALITY & RELIABLE!!!
I'm in the same boat and have been buying Toyota for many years and didn't even consider another manufacturer, but I have noticed the quality dropping, dropping, dropping and my next purchase won't be a straight drive to the local Toyota dealer.

This water leaking probably explains my previous complaints to the dealer that I have to run my defrosters in this vehicle more then any other vehicle I have ever owned and the windshield always seems to be washed more often because it develops a film on the inside.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #24
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Dang. Hits keep coming. If anyone of you guys with a 2nd gen double cab aren't happy then hit me up!! I'll gladly trade you my badass problem free 04 taco!!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #25
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I'm in the same boat and have been buying Toyota for many years and didn't even consider another manufacturer, but I have noticed the quality dropping, dropping, dropping and my next purchase won't be a straight drive to the local Toyota dealer.

This water leaking probably explains my previous complaints to the dealer that I have to run my defrosters in this vehicle more then any other vehicle I have ever owned and the windshield always seems to be washed more often because it develops a film on the inside.

The film that develops on the inside of your glass is caused by the outgassing from the plastic dash. It happens on all vehicles and is in no way specific to any manufacturer.
I had scanned in an article that explained this. If I can find where it is, I'll upload it.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #26
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monrad View Post
Just for clarification...
In all the time you've owned your '06 prior to having the windshield replaced, it never rained and you didn't wash your truck?
Good question. I've not noticed the leak before. The trim on the cowl was there but on loose! I know that had nothing to do with it. My truck is usually always inside. It rarely rains in San Diego. It's only recent that I noticed the leak because of my last car wash. I've had that funky smell in there before but ignored it. Now with no Cabin air filter in there right now, everything is landing of the floor mat or on the carpet. One can't be the trim piece by itself. The whole cowl is one unit. Sold for over $300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
A little clarification, just because a manufacturer releases a TSB on a specific issue does not mean everyone will experience the problem. A TSB is created to help the service techs diagnose and correct an issue. It does not mean it's something that has to be done to your truck.
I didn't know there was a TSB on that. I know I'm over mileage, but it still wouldn't hurt to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what GMC has to do with this.
The installer said this practice of putting the open space for air to get drawn into the truck is a common practice on GMC vehicles. He's seen it time & time again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Get a new seal for your cowl?
I'm working on that today. Junk yard even!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
OP: Please don't drag down GMC by equating it in some way to Toyota trucks.
My bad. I love my Tacoma.

Don't get me wrong fellas. I still wouldn't trade it in. With the publicity right now, I don't see why toyota wouldn't take care of it as a "Good Will" gesture. Plus I'll swing by a glass place for a second opinion.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #27
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
The film that develops on the inside of your glass is caused by the outgassing from the plastic dash. It happens on all vehicles and is in no way specific to any manufacturer.
I had scanned in an article that explained this. If I can find where it is, I'll upload it.
Quoting this post so it's not missed. Happens on all vehicles, moreso when they're new.

Learned that back when I restored an old Mustang. I replaced the interior and then had to wash the inside of the windows constantly for a few months. I thought I was doing a good thing by keeping the car closed up but it was the new plastic and vinyl that was causing the film on the windows.

Would have done me more good to keep the windows open and allow the gasses to escape.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #28
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
As expected, I went to Toyota and they will do nothing. It's ok. It was a chance I was willing to take and accept. Under the circumstances however, I will not purchase a $300 part to fix what broke when I didn't break it.
So I went to a local junk yard, found an 05 that was torn up and purchased the cowl with the seal still attached for $20. While I was there, they threw in 2 D-rings.
I'll install tonight or tomorrow morning and repost pictures.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #29
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
had this problem before about a year ago with some water on my passenger floor mat.
read the TSB's about the fender seals, checked em but no luck.....
noticed a few clips were missing from the cowl cover and replaced them no leaks so far and we just had el Nino lol

good luck getting yours worked out and nice score at that junkyard lol
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #30
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
god theres a lot of threads like this on here these days. all I can say is 1st gens FTW!!! sorry to hear about the problems though folks.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #31
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan07sport View Post
My '99 S10 ZR2 was a workhorse that I beat the shit out of and never had one problem with. I baby this thing and stuff keeps going wrong.
I hope nobody gets their panties in a bunch about my comment here--not meant to inflame... I think we (me too) get more picky about stuff when it starts out better. My point is, I had a Blazer that, like Bryan07sport, I beat the shit out of and it was a champ!! But then, that was in the days when I fixed a rattle by jamming a sheet metal screw through the interior panel into the frame and called it done! I didn't care as long as it started and got me into and out of the woods. That thing leaked all kinds, and I didn't care, I was just glad it always started. Now I get pissed becuase my glove box latch squeaks every now and again. I have to remember that turning up the radio fixes so many squeaks and rattles!!

Just thought I'd throw that out there--we're spoiled because the truck is bitchin to begin with, and now we want perfection. Perfection is a myth.

just my $0.02.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #32
rtjohnson1964 is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska / work in Shemya Island EAS, Alaska
rtjohnson1964's Tacoma Gallery
if you are so unsatisfied with Toyota go buy a chevy,dodge(goverment bailouts) or ford. Then you will have a legit reason to complain! I am A Toyota certified Master Tech and Have worked for the big 3 dealers and as far as recalls, TSb's and SSB's Toyota Quality is by far the best quality out of all of the brands (far less warranty work!). I own my 08 Tacoma Sport Access Cab 4x4, and yes I have had a few warranty issues but would rather have it than one from the Big 3, I also Own a 08 Scion TC which I have had no issues. My whole point is that Toyota is getting drug through the mud by the press and it sickens me.If you were to take the cowl off a Ford F150 you will find a very similar set up as the toyota. So please stlop baaging on Toyota. ( this is not aimed or ment to upset anyone just Tired of the Toy bashing) hope everyone have a great day
Old 02-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #33
powerban is on a distinguished road
powerban's Tacoma Gallery
Are the 09's and above affected? Seems like only 05-06 have noticed the issue.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #34
The_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The_Dude's Tacoma Gallery
Lovin' my 99

Sucks you 2nd geners are havin' probs though...
Old 02-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #35
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjohnson1964 View Post
if you are so unsatisfied with Toyota go buy a chevy,dodge(goverment bailouts) or ford. Then you will have a legit reason to complain! I am A Toyota certified Master Tech and Have worked for the big 3 dealers and as far as recalls, TSb's and SSB's Toyota Quality is by far the best quality out of all of the brands (far less warranty work!). I own my 08 Tacoma Sport Access Cab 4x4, and yes I have had a few warranty issues but would rather have it than one from the Big 3, I also Own a 08 Scion TC which I have had no issues. My whole point is that Toyota is getting drug through the mud by the press and it sickens me.If you were to take the cowl off a Ford F150 you will find a very similar set up as the toyota. So please stlop baaging on Toyota. ( this is not aimed or ment to upset anyone just Tired of the Toy bashing) hope everyone have a great day
No offense taken by brother. I've had some issues with my truck... I'll admit that. It's all been small stuff for the most part. I still love my Tacoma and wouldn't trade it in. I know for a fact others have experienced the same thing I have. What's great about threads like these are the pictures and awareness tacomians have about their trucks. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I'll check my clips and install the other cowl, but rest assured I LOVE my Tacoma and still love Toyota.
I was mad and blowing off steam. Mud and I are close!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #36
valleythunder is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Hydraulic Mech
Name: Rob
valleythunder's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you Janster. I wish I would have kept my 06 Tundra. Thinking about replacing my Taco with something...

While replacing your taco with something may sound good now, please think of something. Every company in this country with a few rare exceptions. Is making everything as cheaply as they can and turning around and selling it like it was a quality item. Automotive, industrial equipment, etc. Rape the customer for every dime...... Doesn't matter if it is a 100 million dollar 225Kv to 6.9Kv transformer, (which we've bought two of, and have had one leak,) a 480v disconnect that the stamped sheetmetal was so flimsy it ended up just bending out of the way instead of disconnecting the electricity. The company selling a lathe and mill both made in china, and ready to be trashed after two years of use.....

This we collectively have done to our nation all in the name of a buck.....
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #37
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerban View Post
Are the 09's and above affected? Seems like only 05-06 have noticed the issue.
I have an 09 and have water on my pass floor mat when it rains. Going to make an appointment with toyota next week and get it fixed
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #38
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
w8n4mud, post pics of the parts you picked up from the junkyard, I want to see what they look like
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #39
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
YAAAAAHHH! You guys are scaring me. I traded a primo '96 Tacoma for my '09. I also own an '08 FJ. I really hope I didn't make a mistake. There's already enough stuff that I miss about the '96. (it never went to a dealer for anything other than the head gasket TSB and it probably didn't need that).
Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #40
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
LEAK FIXED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
YAAAAAHHH! You guys are scaring me. I traded a primo '96 Tacoma for my '09. I also own an '08 FJ. I really hope I didn't make a mistake. There's already enough stuff that I miss about the '96. (it never went to a dealer for anything other than the head gasket TSB and it probably didn't need that).
Don't get scared.
The part you see here is what I picked-up. The only difference here is that the one I picked up at the junk yard has the molding that was originally falling/coming apart on mine. I installed it already. It came from an 05 Taco.

The part is known as the Cowl. The trim against the window can not be purchased separately. The price at stealerships is over $300. Cowl and 2 D-Rings for $20 at the junk yard. Thank you God!