Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bad design Toyota! Water leak expected. WTF! Recall... oh sorry TSB!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #41
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
pics of the trim? Can you see it while the part is on the truck?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #42
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerban View Post
Are the 09's and above affected? Seems like only 05-06 have noticed the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethr21785 View Post
I have an 09 and have water on my pass floor mat when it rains. Going to make an appointment with toyota next week and get it fixed
I haven't noticed any water in my '09 either when I wash it or with heavy rain. If there is a TSB for this I'd like to see the document before going to the dealer to complain.

Any sources?
Similar but differet:

-Coke
Old 02-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #43
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
pics of the trim? Can you see it while the part is on the truck?
I'll try to take a pic and post it soon again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke View Post
I haven't noticed any water in my '09 either when I wash it or with heavy rain. If there is a TSB for this I'd like to see the document before going to the dealer to complain.

Any sources?
Similar but differet:

-Coke
When I went to Toyota, Scott (Service Director at Kearny Mesa Toyota in San Diego, Ca) said there was No TSB on a failing cowl or any of its parts.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #44
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
I'll try to take a pic and post it soon again.

When I went to Toyota, Scott (Service Director at Kearny Mesa Toyota in San Diego, Ca) said there was No TSB on a failing cowl or any of its parts.
Oh okay. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #45
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
hope know one takes this the wrong way. But, to me, it seems like the 2nd gen tacos have experienced more problems then the 1st gen's

I am a 1st gen owner, and I am aware of the frame issue.

but my goal is to buy a 2nd gen one day when I can afford it but all this makes me think twice about a 2nd gen..
Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #46
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

Army: Infantry
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04prerunner View Post
hope know one takes this the wrong way. But, to me, it seems like the 2nd gen tacos have experienced more problems then the 1st gen's

I am a 1st gen owner, and I am aware of the frame issue.

but my goal is to buy a 2nd gen one day when I can afford it but all this makes me think twice about a 2nd gen..
Yes but after considering GM and Ford they still are better
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #47
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
YAAAAAHHH! You guys are scaring me. I traded a primo '96 Tacoma for my '09. I also own an '08 FJ. I really hope I didn't make a mistake. There's already enough stuff that I miss about the '96. (it never went to a dealer for anything other than the head gasket TSB and it probably didn't need that).
The two issues I had(rear leaf springs, transmission shift logic) were taken care of with TSBs and I can gladly say I have had no major complaints whatsoever. I love getting in and driving my truck. I can't say the same about my '08 Accord.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #48
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog tired View Post
Yes but after considering GM and Ford they still are better
I agree with you %100 on that one.

My last truck was a 2003 s10. truck gave me problems after 40,000 miles!! computer issues. truck would randomly shut off, cheap ass door panels. power windows went out three times !!!!! door hinges went bad at 60,000 miles!!

I will probly never buy a GM again.

although I do like the new silverado and f-150's. But how much better do you think the newer GM's and fords really are?? My uncle had a 97 f150. had nothing but problems

however, I have had my tacoma for only two weeks. I love it so far
Old 02-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #49
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke View Post

Any sources?
Similar but differet:

-Coke
The only other TSB for water leaking I think only applied to the '05 (BO004-05 APR 05 Body - Water Leaks Onto Front Floor). This TSB, however, had to do with a bad seam in the firewall/cowl area. They tested mine for this when mine leaked like the OP's, but there were no problems. That's when we determined it was a fluke (and it was in my case). Others have had this same problem when debris gets between the glass and the cowl, so I always pull out any leaves when I see them getting in between.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #50
BeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BeachBoy's Tacoma Gallery
my windshield also cracked and my bottom seal is all loose.

Haven't noticed water getting in but I'll double check for sure!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #51
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Ticking engines, rotting frames, sticking pedals, bad weather stripping, werid tranmissions, faulty oil pumps.... I am starting to feel like I expected too much form toyota.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #52
Coprolite
monrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to all

monrad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Truck View Post
Ticking engines, rotting frames, sticking pedals, bad weather stripping, werid tranmissions, faulty oil pumps.... I am starting to feel like I expected too much form toyota.
Your truck has all those problems??

Sorry to hear that...
Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #53
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monrad View Post
Your truck has all those problems??

Sorry to hear that...
ROFL...classic

I've been wanting to clarify something here for a bit as I've now ready the entire thread.

OP, you really only noticed the water getting in after you had your windshield replaced correct? You've owned the car for a number of years and only now notice the problem. And unless you live in death valley, you've had rain and probably washed your car since 2006.

Now I've never replaced a windshield on a Tacoma myself (probably never will) but I'd suspect that the cowl covers part of the windshield base and needs to be removed in order to replace the glass. Is that right?

So lets go through the steps...
1)Windshield replacement
2)Cowl taken off
3)???
4LEAK!!!

I don't think it's too far fetched to conclude there was a possibility that the guy installing the windshield may have reinstalled it incorrectly.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #54
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I'd suspect that the cowl covers part of the windshield base and needs to be removed in order to replace the glass. Is that right?

So lets go through the steps...
1)Windshield replacement
2)Cowl taken off
3)???
4LEAK!!!

I don't think it's too far fetched to conclude there was a possibility that the guy installing the windshield may have reinstalled it incorrectly.
The problem with mine was in this order...
1) Trim (molding) was coming undone on the top half of the cowl. It would flap in the wind on freeways. I had no leaks! The area affected was on the driver's side.
2) Windshield cracked - Still no leaks.
3) Windshield replaced - At this point my installer removed the trim and said it was strictly cosmetics (he referenced his experience to GMC's). He did not remove the cowl as that requires removing the wipers which he did not. The glass does NOT rest on the cowl. The cowl is on the very bottom edge of the windshield and has nothing to do with the seal (adhesive) that is used to secure the window to the body of the taco.

4) Noticed my first leak well after a month of installment. The only difference here is that my trim is not on. To be technical, water is not leaking from the seal of the window to the inside of the truck. Water is dripping off the windshield into that compartment that I pictured. Why it didn't leak earlier I don't know. Perhaps it did and the Cabin Air filter absorbed it until it could hold no more. That's when I noticed the leak. The smell was there before.

The cowl I have on my truck now is the one that came from the junk yard. I could have taken the seal, molding or trim (whatever you want to call it) off that one and placed it on mine but didn't want to risk damaging the trim. Here is a picture of it.

See attachments. Please keep in mind that the trim piece was relatively secured on the passenger side which is where that compartment is.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad design Toyota! Water leak expected. WTF! Recall... oh sorry TSB!-img_4593.jpg   Bad design Toyota! Water leak expected. WTF! Recall... oh sorry TSB!-img_4594.jpg  
Old 02-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #55
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Albert, your engine compartment looks almost as dirty as mine
Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #56
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post
I may be old but I remember when a big quality issue to get really pissed about was the engine blowing a head gasket at 40,000 miles.

Life is not perfect, we are not perfect. You have an issue, we deal with it and stop threatening to stop buying the product with the assumption that someone is making it better elsewhere.

Every manufacturer has some issues. Show me one that you can afford and that doesn't have some issue.
Exactly!! I think everyone is overreacting.

GA
Old 02-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #57
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
3) Windshield replaced - At this point my installer removed the trim and said it was strictly cosmetics (he referenced his experience to GMC's). He did not remove the cowl as that requires removing the wipers which he did not. The glass does NOT rest on the cowl. The cowl is on the very bottom edge of the windshield and has nothing to do with the seal (adhesive) that is used to secure the window to the body of the taco.
x2. The adhesive is above where the cowl just rests against the glass. When replacing the windshield, the old glass just slides up and out while the new glass slides under then they press it down against the adhesive. Just had my windshield replaced and watched them do the whole thing and even commented to them about my surprise that they didn't need to remove the cowl. He's replaced a lot of Tacoma windshields (the adhesive seal anyway) as part of the windshield buzz.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #58
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Caddmannq's Tacoma Gallery
Clearly the cowl seal was disturbed when the windshield was installed. It may not have looked damaged, but it didn't seal to the glass anymore.

It sounds to me like a light coat of clear sealant on the lip of the seal should have fixed this.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #59
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

Ok I just got my blower frozen due to water buildup. Apparently there was so much water that when it froze it stuck my blower. Anybody have a link to instruction how to remove that stupid cowl, I dont want to break it.
Help please