Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bad design Toyota! Water leak expected. WTF! Recall... oh sorry TSB!

Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #141
&erson will become famous soon enough&erson will become famous soon enough
&erson's Tacoma Gallery
I had a minor leak on my gas pedal foot after pulling away from an incline. A/C had been running.
Was quite a surprise, cold water on bare foot (had flip flops on). Assume just a build up of condensate while on the uneven surface.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #142
B A N N E D
stevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: steven
stevenstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post
I may be old but I remember when a big quality issue to get really pissed about was the engine blowing a head gasket at 40,000 miles.

Life is not perfect, we are not perfect. You have an issue, we deal with it and stop threatening to stop buying the product with the assumption that someone is making it better elsewhere.

Every manufacturer has some issues. Show me one that you can afford and that doesn't have some issue.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #143
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post
I may be old but I remember when a big quality issue to get really pissed about was the engine blowing a head gasket at 40,000 miles.

Life is not perfect, we are not perfect. You have an issue, we deal with it and stop threatening to stop buying the product with the assumption that someone is making it better elsewhere.

Every manufacturer has some issues. Show me one that you can afford and that doesn't have some issue.
LOL Mine had over 80K on it and was waay over warranty when t started leaking and Toyota fixed it and then called me in later to "fix it" and friends as well.

OLD Toyota....not today's in CUSTOMER SERVICE...truck is definitely better than my 93..
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #144
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
I think a lot of the "problems" with the new Tacomas are due to the Internet. Every Toyota I've had in the last thirty years has had a few problems; however, I just fixed them and forgot about it. Now, every little thing that goes wrong with anything gets posted on a web page somewhere. Do a search for any model of vehicle combined with the word "complaints" and you will find scores of posts about it. However, in relation to the vehicles sold the percentage of complaints is often rather small.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If anything todays vehicles from all manufacturers are more reliable. But if 5 people have a problem out of 10,000 sold and they are on a on a forum.... its considered universal. ALL vehicles have issues now and then. Especially ones that are sold as street vehicles and then trashed in the mud. Toyota may advertise the "off road" aspect but the trucks are not built for any "sport" Off roading stock. Most people seem to never take their 4x4 TRDs off road at all. They are "snow trucks" and do that very well..

According to a poll here among "enthusiasts" half don't. So why should Toyota build them for off roading. Just build a street truck THEN have some TSBs for those who want to do more.

They are selling everyone they make and resale is highest in its class.. Must be doing something right
Old 02-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #145
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ALL vehicles have issues now and then. Especially ones that are sold as street vehicles and then trashed in the mud.
Oh no you di'int!!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #146
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
Oh no you di'int!!
Oh yes I did. It is pretty obvious Toyota did not design these vehicles to go off road in any big way...The stock TRD "Bilstens" are a joke really. Not even close to the next version up in girth, They look like toothpicks under there. The stock 3 leafs are for cushy city driving. The TRD suspension is great for hunting dirt roads, snow, and pulling boats in and out.

The lift is nowhere near what it should be for heavy duty off roading. These trucks were built for back roads, dirt roads.Snow.... I believe those who do that kind of off roading will attest to that.

The trucks I have seen that were not carefully "posed" on rocks and banks and actually driven "Baja" hard in the mud and rock seem to be seriously modded for that kind of thing. I seriously believe my truck would come apart in any kind of Baja type running even IF it were 4WD with the stock TRD pack.

I drove my 93 stock Toyota off road and when things got serious where only the wranglers, Suzukis and Hiluxes could go I parked. The Fords and chevys parked a mile behind me. I clearly did not have the clearance, tires or suspension to continue down those paths, and those Tacomas were smaller than they are now. Even if My TRD was a 4WD I would never be able to take it where i took the 93 because of it's size as well.

I like the truck a lot but I would not take to from the showroom to Baja.....I don;t think that was Toyota's intent...mostly show and light off road at gentle speeds.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #147
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
Oh yes I did. It is pretty obvious Toyota did not design these vehicles to go off road in any big way...The stock TRD "Bilstens" are a joke really. Not even close to the next version up in girth, They look like toothpicks under there. The stock 3 leafs are for cushy city driving. The TRD suspension is great for hunting dirt roads, snow, and pulling boats in and out.

The lift is nowhere near what it should be for heavy duty off roading. These trucks were built for back roads, dirt roads.Snow.... I believe those who do that kind of off roading will attest to that.

The trucks I have seen that were not carefully "posed" on rocks and banks and actually driven "Baja" hard in the mud and rock seem to be seriously modded for that kind of thing. I seriously believe my truck would come apart in any kind of Baja type running even IF it were 4WD with the stock TRD pack.

I drove my 93 stock Toyota off road and when things got serious where only the wranglers, Suzukis and Hiluxes could go I parked. The Fords and chevys parked a mile behind me. I clearly did not have the clearance, tires or suspension to continue down those paths, and those Tacomas were smaller than they are now. Even if My TRD was a 4WD I would never be able to take it where i took the 93 because of it's size as well.

I like the truck a lot but I would not take to from the showroom to Baja.....I don;t think that was Toyota's intent...mostly show and light off road at gentle speeds.

This and x2 on the "internet manufactures problems" phenomenon.

You are my nominee for best new member of 2011. So far, I've seen a few of your posts and your head isn't distinctly up your ass like many other folks. Congrats.

These trucks are fine for mild stuff stock. Serious wheeling will damage them stock.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #148
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also, I still want to know if the OP's truck has exploded yet.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #149
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post

You are my nominee for best new member of 2011. So far, I've seen a few of your posts and your head isn't distinctly up your ass like many other folks. Congrats.

These trucks are fine for mild stuff stock. Serious wheeling will damage them stock.
x3....I was totally agreeing with you (kingfrog), by the way, when I made my "no you di'int" comment.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #150
Silver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silver DC's Tacoma Gallery
My 94 has been leaking in the passengers floorboard for years when it rains real hard. I was told that it was due to the drain tube at the evap being clogged. Never helped when I would clean it out. I had the windshield replaced recently, I need to check to see if it still leaks.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #151
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
x3....I was totally agreeing with you (kingfrog), by the way, when I made my "no you di'int" comment.
Yeah I thought so....I know how defensive people can get about their Tacos. I also know who the serious off roader is....They usually don't have a bumper or a custom grill..LOL Just high Iron....and skid plate all the way to the bed LOL

So here we are and I am still looking for the way to clear the drains Just in case I decide to wash the truck this Summer sometime.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #152
Banned

Quote:

Hey thanks man...I try to keep it real and not stir the pot ....... much.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #153
FarmerFrederico is on a distinguished road
FarmerFrederico's Tacoma Gallery
Long Term Problem For Sure

My '81 Toyota Pickup leaked in the exact same way on the passenger side! Hope it doesn't happen to my 2010!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 AM   #154
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, I still want to know if the OP's truck has exploded yet.
Nope! It's still taking a beating but looks like I just bought it brand new.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #155
zano is on a distinguished road
zano's Tacoma Gallery
....wow.... i cant believe i just read this entire tread...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Nope! It's still taking a beating but looks like I just bought it brand new.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #157
Eternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Eternal24k's Tacoma Gallery
My 2009 has the leak, can you repost the pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
LEAK FIXED

Don't get scared.
The part you see here is what I picked-up. The only difference here is that the one I picked up at the junk yard has the molding that was originally falling/coming apart on mine. I installed it already. It came from an 05 Taco.

The part is known as the Cowl. The trim against the window can not be purchased separately. The price at stealerships is over $300. Cowl and 2 D-Rings for $20 at the junk yard. Thank you God!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #158
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal24k View Post
I don't have the pics any more. I'll see if I can take the pics again some time this week for you. I'll post them up.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #159
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal24k View Post
Was your cabin filter wet? Did you make sure the drains in the cowl aren't clogged with debris? If the answer to both is Yes, then it might be advantageous for you to cover the cowl as a permanent solution (3rd link in my sig).
Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #160
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 leaks like crazy when we get hard rain. The drivers side floor gets soaked but nothing else. The stealership said they ran a hose over it for 15 minutes and could not find a leak. So I still have the issue.