Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bad design Toyota! Water leak expected. WTF! Recall... oh sorry TSB!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Bad design Toyota! Water leak expected. WTF! Recall... oh sorry TSB!

Stop sugar coating the little things and get them fixed! 2nd generation Tacomas have been out for over 5 years now!!!

Ok so a select number of Tacos have experienced their molding on the bottom of the front windshield is coming undone. I did experience that! Then the inevitable happened and I got a crack on the windshield. So I got the windshield replaced. No problems. The replacement glass is also by United (see build for pictures) and is the same one I had on there before. The windshield itself and the seal around it doesn't leak. However, there is water entering the cab from the passenger side behind the dash board. Don't freakin ask me how.

Take a look for yourself!

So I was washing my truck over the weekend and as I was getting ready to leave is when I noticed water on my all-weather floor mat on the passenger side. When I got home, I looked under the dash where the cabin air filter is and noticed that is was wet and dripping at the same time. What?!?! WTF. I called my windshield installer and he said he would come out first thing tomorrow. So he did. Low & behold, there is no leak from the windshield replacement itself. Instead there is water entering this compartment and landing in this uncovered hole that leads directly to the cab. Water entering in here will land on your cabin air filter and cause it to absorb some of the water and then give you that musty/stuffy feeling/scent in your truck.

WTF Toyota-you are not GMC.
What about a shield over this area with a lip to prevent it from dripping in? Anyways, be advised that if water does get in it will land on the motor that essentially sucks air into the cab for your air to work (hot or cold). There are a lot of wires under there so check every so often to ensure you're not getting fuc*ed slowly in the pocket book. For the record, I wasn't even driving in the rain when it leaked the second time. I was parked outside of work for three hours when it started to rain and had to pull in my vehicle into our warehouse to avoid a flood inside.

I'm pissed and don't know what to do!
Neither would Toyota I bet. BTW, I'm still waiting for an invitation to get that pedal replaced ever since I got the recall notice in the mail. Let's see... thanks for the TSB in the rear. Thank God I didn't bend my tailgate. Still hate that thump while waiting at the light! What's next?
For what its worth, I hope there is a spy among us from Toyota corp that looks to see what their customers bitch about. I'm loyal, but right now I'm in a mood. Watch out!

Pictures for your enjoyment.
Take the cover off...

This is what you see on the passenger side...

To demonstrate how easy water can get in I placed a bungie cord in there!

I took the glove compartment out and removed my wet cabin air filter and dried my carpet. Here you can see from a distance the bungie hanging from the hood to the inside of the cab. Notice directly below is the motor.

What else can you do for me... Toyota!
I need to rent an American car right now to feel good about my truck.

I'm tired! It's 3:11am and going to bed. Good luck fellow Tacomians!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery

Wow will have to get this checked out, thank you for posting wi/ pics & everything. Yeah can't say I'm overjoyed with my toyota either , its at the shop right now for a coolant hose leak again waiting on parts. My last tacoma (which was not a tacoma but the final model year in 95 never had one warranty issue.)
I'm interested it how this is going to turn out, are you going to the dealer to inquire?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
ROOTIN AROUND
08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of

Army: BNCOC SGL
Name: Joshua
08TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Another ting I am not liking is that if your are out of warrenty and they have a TSB that comes out what does your warretny have to do with the fact that toyota has a problem and needs to correct it. I am at 31000 mikles right now and after I hit 36000 if any other further TSB comes out I am screwed. But other then that I love my taco
Old 02-10-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
feel better? thanks for the pics and details. never heard of this before... interesting. +1 for you.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Stop it already!!!

I hate seeing this shit!! And honestly, If I wasn't so loyal to Tacomas - I honestly don't know what else I'd buy. I don't like anything else!!!
I never gave anything else a chance - so maybe that's my problem. I find it hard to spend $30K on something that I don't feel 'warm & fuzzy' about.

Seriously...Thanks for posting. This stuff just makes me sick.

Like I've said before....I hope all this crap is a BIG WAKE UP CALL for them to get their shit back to the way it used to be. QUALITY & RELIABLE!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
Blueridge is on a distinguished road

Blueridge's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you Janster. I wish I would have kept my 06 Tundra. Thinking about replacing my Taco with something...
Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
TREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really nice
Name: Trey
TREY4x4's Tacoma Gallery
WTF! That is a serious problem. I've read several posts talking about a musty smell coming from the vents. Now I have to believe this is the culprit. This needs to be addressed by Toyota.

The more I learn about the problems with these trucks, the more disappointed I become. If I had know about all the TSB's and now the Recall I would never have purchased it. I've been loyal to Toyota for many years. I've purchased 2 Corolla's, 2 Sienna's and now this truck. Never again. I'll most likely end up getting rid of this truck within a couple of years.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
Coprolite
monrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to all

monrad's Tacoma Gallery
Just for clarification...

In all the time you've owned your '06 prior to having the windshield replaced, it never rained and you didn't wash your truck?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Another ting I am not liking is that if your are out of warrenty and they have a TSB that comes out what does your warretny have to do with the fact that toyota has a problem and needs to correct it. I am at 31000 mikles right now and after I hit 36000 if any other further TSB comes out I am screwed. But other then that I love my taco
A little clarification, just because a manufacturer releases a TSB on a specific issue does not mean everyone will experience the problem. A TSB is created to help the service techs diagnose and correct an issue. It does not mean it's something that has to be done to your truck.

Quote:
Neither would Toyota I bet. BTW, I'm still waiting for an invitation to get that pedal replaced ever since I got the recall notice in the mail.
You have some serious issues that need to be addressed. I doubt you'll get an "invite" since the dearlerships are swamped right now but I would take your truck in. I know it's an inconvenience but the problem needs to be addressed and I believe alot of Toyota owners will be content with the service they get from dealerships across the U.S. It's sad it took a major incident for everything to come to a head but that is what usually occurs.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still trying to figure out what GMC has to do with this.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
That warm and fuzzy feeling is not all that it is cracked up to be. It could be someone pissing on your leg.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
Coprolite
monrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to all

monrad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I doubt you'll get an "invite" since the dearlerships are swamped right now but I would take your truck in.
Probably will get an invite, i.e., a notice of recall, for the pedal/floormat issue within a couple months. At least, according to my dealer.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #13
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
I may be old but I remember when a big quality issue to get really pissed about was the engine blowing a head gasket at 40,000 miles.

Life is not perfect, we are not perfect. You have an issue, we deal with it and stop threatening to stop buying the product with the assumption that someone is making it better elsewhere.

Every manufacturer has some issues. Show me one that you can afford and that doesn't have some issue.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #14
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
I'm pissed and don't know what to do!
Get a new seal for your cowl?

And lol at the bungee demonstration. Of course it's easy w/o the cowl. That's like taking your valve cover off and saying "Hey look how easy dust and dirt can get in my engine! God damn you Toyota, BAD design!"
Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #15
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
toyota=poop. im tired of all these stupid defects that can easily be avoided but they choose to cut corners.so sad.thats it im buying a ridgeline......................NOT!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #16
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
I had a puddle in my truck after some rain the other day and was wondering where i came from... This is prob the culprit.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #17
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
OP: Please don't drag down GMC by equating it in some way to Toyota trucks.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #18
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Get a new seal for your cowl?
Any idea what a seal for the cowl looks like? Is it a part to buy or something applied out of a tube? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #19
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
i just posted a similar thread yesterday. i'm sort of in the same boat. this was my dream vehicle. love how it looks drives, etc. but it's been in the shop way too much in the 5 months i've owned it. i've grown acustomed to driving the prius and yaris rentals. i've asked them twice (when i had it in cause something else was wrong) about the squeaky bearing (presumably the throwout bearing issue) coming from the clutch that stops when you push the peddle in and they said nothing sounded abnormal....... what about the fact that i dont sit anywhere anymore in neutral without holding my clutch in because of the embarrassing noise?? i don't leave my truck running if i'm not in it to hold the clutch! for 33k miles and $25k, i expected a little more. I get it, everything has an issue here and there, and maybe it seems worse cause people do more venting about issues than praising the good stuff. I didn't want to jump on the other manufacturer bandwagon but here i go. My '99 S10 ZR2 was a workhorse that I beat the shit out of and never had one problem with. I baby this thing and stuff keeps going wrong. I'm in the same mood. time to go shovel snow.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #20
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, guess you missed reading my #3 answer on this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post1405010

Happened to me in 2005. And I've been bringing it up since on every post where people have water on the passenger floor (a lot of water in a short period of time). What's fun is when you turn it to defrost and set the fan to high, you get shot in the face with lots of water. LOL