1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm affraid!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BSP4x4, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

The only two cars I have ever owned previous to this Tacoma (2009 AC 4x4 Manual) were a 1995 Corolla and a 1994 Corolla. In MY opinion, this was back when TOYOTA was building QUALITY vehicles. Each car lasted over 200K. Actually, I got 300k on the 1994 and 400K on the 1995!!!

I LOVE MY NEW TACOMA! Don’t get me wrong It’s BAD ASS!. BUT we all know there are a few issues with them. But part of me worries about the following.

1.) Everyone says TOYOTA’s “last for ever”. Well the only REAL evidence of this are the older (possibly better quality) vehicles that are still on the road now, or that have lasted a long time.
    2.) There is NO WAY to tell how long a 2005,2006,2007…2010 etc etc will last as they have only been out for a few years. The real test will be 10-20 years from now….how many of our second gens will STILL be on the road.
    3.) I can’t help but feel that QUALITY has or may have gone down hill…for a few simple reasons….more cars are being made, AND they are being made here in the US. ALSO, I can’t help but think that TOYOTA may have said to them selves back in 1998-2000 “wow, we have a great product, let’s skimp a little on quality, and make more money, and ride the reputation wave our earlier year models have given us…”

All in all I’m happy…but a little scared as to what awaits for me after my 36L warranty is up?

I have a 2009 and the bottom is already starting to rust!

I know I’m not the only one who really loves there truck, but deep down may be a little scared of the future..

Maybe I feel this way because it’s the first vehicle I’ve actually paid for myself and I’m 100% invested in it….

And all this recall stuff in the news doesn’t help how I’m feeling.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    sethr21785

sethr21785 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Lake Jackson TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tundra
    Nope... If you so concerned maybe you should sell your truck when your warranty runs out and buy a T100

3. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

T100 are bad ass! you have 100% faith that your truck will last as long as those rock solid early years?

There is NO WAY TO know if these second gens are as good as the early years...time will tell!

I will say this: FOR 30k THE CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CRAWL UNDER THE TRUCK AFTER ONE YEAR WITH A WIRE BRUSH AND RUSTOLEUM RIGHT! ???

ps - YOU'RE IN OOB.....WE SHOULD GET TOGETHER FOR A MOD DAY...I'LL BE DOING THE SATOSHI THIS SPRING...AS SOON AS IT WARMS UP ENOUGH TO USE BONDO

4. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Toyota is going in the shitter

5. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    sethr21785

sethr21785 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Lake Jackson TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tundra
    pm sent to you

6. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Plenty of reason for concern. All you can do is take care of it and see what happens. I've always heard good things about Toyota reliability. So far the truck and the dealer has been great. I'll do my part and hope for the best...

7. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

Dude...im anal about it! she gets an interior clean once a month, regular maintenence, etc etc....engine bay cleaning in the fall and spring. regular exterior washes, wax 4 times a year, clay bar once a year. i'm a freak! Hopefully that will help with how long it lasts, BUT some things are out of our control!

8. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    You are in New England right? Show me one car that does not rust in New England. :D
    I just junked 1997 Ford that had all brake lines and tranny lines rusted to crap. Engine still runned good but the rest just rusted to crap.:rolleyes:
    I have Nissan as well and that thing is rusting despite the fact it is parked majority of the winter in the garage. A f..ing thing is rusting in the garage :eek:
    If not for the schools for kids I would move out south as I am sick and tired dealing with the rusted bolts :mad: Anything you do around the car is challenge

9. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    You should chill out with the caps lock fury, its not making your already hard to read font any easier to read.

10. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I think they are going down the shitter as well, but I don't keep cars, trucks, ect for very long any way. But I was trying to get my other half to buy an FJ or a 4 runner but now we will be looking at other cars for her.

11. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

Get some glasses :)

12. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    lol, im 18, i dont need glassers yet.

13. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Relax... I've seen problems with first gens on this forum.
    If you are that scared, sell your truck, buy a Chevy, Nissan, ford, or some other truck. Then try to tell me there are no complaints about your new truck. there will be.
    I see plenty on other forums.

14. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    braggman7

braggman7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '23 Trail Edition
    I challenge someone to find a vehicle that no one has issues with. My 2001 Dodge was a still a beast at 175k miles, other than the fact that it drank gas like water and had the suspension of a golf cart, but it would be asinine for me to think that it was a better or more reliable truck than my Tacoma. Every vehicle is going to have issues, especially trucks that are used on and off road. And with all of the negative news about Toyota on the news, I suspect people are getting paranoid for no reason. One might call it a placebo effect. As with most vehicles, if you treat it right, it will last. But to answer the OP's question. Mine will probably last forever because it came withe a lifetime warranty. :cool:

15. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Yea to be honest I had chance to see other brands in off road situation. One of the runs we had was Toyota/Jeep run combined. We lined up with Toyota club upfront and Jeep club protecting the rear. Most of the Toyota guys bail out half way on the course because it was just stupid to sit and wait hours while another Jeep was getting towed from the woods with broken 4x4 drive train. We had run with Fords/Chevys.... same story something was breaking every few feet. :confused: its like none of those cars are made to go off the pavement.

16. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    alpineski26

alpineski26 Active Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    Do regular maintenance on vehicle. Watch it rust anyway in New England. Drive until the guy at the shop says, are you f*#$ing serious! You want me to fix this!

Nowadays that should be 150k - 300k miles. depending on how hard it was driven and type of vehicle.

But honestly, stop complaining that your vehicle will only go 250k miles instead of 300k. Technological improvements in everything vehicles is about a 3-4yr cycle. You really shouldnt drive a vehicle older than two generations (collectors, exotics exempted) for the good of the environment, economy, and your own safety.

17. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    91Toyotabogger

91Toyotabogger "Loud Tires Can Save Lives"

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    91 4wd 5sp manual Pickup Standard cab white
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    thats right every type of car or truck has a service department for a reason...shit happens

18. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    In 1985 no one knew how long that pick up would run.
    In 1990, again, no body had any idea how the newer models would last.
    In 1995.5 when the Tacoma came to be, Yup, you guessed it, not a clue as to how long these would last.

Here I am in a 2001 Tacoma given it all hell and have 170k miles.

Now we have a new generation that no one know how long they will last.

I kind of see a trend here.

The point is that when you buy a vehicle, all you have to go on is what you see in front of you. They may not last as long as an 86 pickup, or they may do just as well. NO ONE KNOWS! I am getting awfully bored with all of these F%CKING threads popping up here. Yes, the Tacoma is having new issues, Toyota is having issues. What the F%CK ever. We all know about it and we all know that it is getting taken care of. Quit whining about it, you bought the truck, you decided to get it. No one sat there and forced you to get a loan or however you paid for it. No one held your hand and said "you HAVE NO CHOICE but to buy this Tacoma". Put your effort into talking to Toyota about the issues you have, send a letter everyday, this should not be hard as you seem to write a letter's worth while posting here about your problems. Put that effort into a letter to Toyota Corp.

19. Feb 10, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I think our trucks will last longer than most of the vehicles on the road but not anywhere near how long they used to. With all the electronics they put in the newer cars and trucks nowadays there's more of a chance of having issues the older the vehicle becomes. I personally won't keep this truck as long as my last Toyota (1988 4Runner with 350,000) mainly due to the amount of the electronics and computers.

20. Feb 10, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.

Yeah plus with the first gens in like the 80's and what not there was no Tacoma World for people to go on and rant about the problems they had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top