1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen wish list

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by walleyeguy, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Mar 31, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    WILLIAM ROBERT

WILLIAM ROBERT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    it's blue
  2. Mar 31, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    I would like to see the turbo diesel option and I will state why. They way I use my truck is longer trips and towing for a large portion of the miles racked up. Diesel engine have less pumping loss and are much more efficient. The turbo provides additional gains by allowing additional power when required without the need to burn the added fuel all the time. The torque of a diesel is better. This would not be the option for everyone. They can be a little harder to keep traction due to the torque. Diesels do not like to be short tripped, they prefer to get up to temperature and run for the day. However, from a standpoint of CAFE, I think a diesel in this class would fill a hole in the market and have a great impact on fleet fuel economy. Plus you get the DI to boot!

As far as GDI in a gas motor goes, that is fine, but GDI has some issues too. For one, the cold start emission levels tend to be higher. That is one of the reasons, as I understand it, that some of the Lexsus models have twin injection. Ported and GDI together. Start on ported and switch to GDI. GDI engines can tend to have build up on the intake valve faster than ported injection. There is no longer fuel with detergent flowing across the valve so the PCV system buildup is unchecked. As for the fuel economy increases, I offer this. You cannot break physics. If you can you will be rich. If a gasoline engine can make more power, the main way to do so is by having the ability to flow more air and burn more fuel. If you use that power on a regular basis you will burn more fuel. I can see the threads now with the heavy footed drivers claiming foul on the mileage ratings because they are using the power all the time.

IF they do GDI than I say go all the way and lose the starter. Store the stopped engine position in KAM and then just give a snort of fuel into the compression stroke cylinders and light them off. Start the cranking from the injection and ignition system. Now that would be cool.........And yes, the technology has been demonstrated.

Now I will save this post so I can cut an paste it into the next 27 on this topic! :D

3. Mar 31, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    danbow

danbow Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 F150 Crew 4x4
    I'd like an option that would drop nails on the road behind you or lazers in the headlights. Maybe a rocket launcher on the roof rack?

4. Mar 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    walleyeguy

walleyeguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 DCSB TRD OR Auto MGM
    Your reasoning that Europe has diesels in the trucks because our mid size trucks are their large trucks is a bit off base. Europe has diesels in their smallest cars too. Diesel prices are lower than gas in Europe and I’ve read that Europe doesn’t have as strict emissions as we do especially considering NOx.

Supposedly in a few years under CAFE the allowable diesel emissions are cut in half from where they are today in the US. This added reduction is a big jump, and therefore adds additional cost to the already costly diesel engines and after treatments.

I would love to see more diesel automobiles in the US, other than just the German manufactures. However I believe economics in the US are making it very difficult for manufactures to go that route. We have high diesel fuel prices (compared to Europe where gas is much more expensive than diesel) and we have very strict emission standards now and even more so in the near future.

5. Mar 31, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    walleyeguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's a good link and hopefully it will educate some of the skeptics.

And for those who think that dual-clutch transmission are only wet clutches. Ford just started manufacturing 6 speed dual clutch transmissions with Getrag for their vehicles. Their dual-clutch transmissions are dry clutch…and the transmission are in production today. This isn’t some pie in the sky idea...like lasers and rocket launchers.

6. Mar 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    As others have responded, other countries have higher fuel efficiency standards than we do with less restriction on diesel emissions so it makes sense there. Makes sense here too where a diesel Jetta can go gallon for gallon with a Prius in most cases.

The other thing is the title of the post. It states 3rd Gen not just 2011. So if it takes a few years to get it right, so be it. They are already working on a diesel Tundra. Next..........

BMW has a diesel hybrid concept car based on the 3 series. 95 MPG was the reported number. Heck, I do not know how it would work in a truck, but look up the Toyota Volta concept car. Series hybrid with a 3.3l V6. All wheel drive electric motor set up. 0-60 time in supercar territory and MPG over 40.

Technology will change a lot in our lifetimes, even if we have already seen a lot of change. Wecome to the real real world.

7. Mar 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    walleyeguy

Member:
    Vehicle:

Is the diesel Toyota HiLux in Europe $40K?

No, look at Toyota's UK website the HiLux is listed at 17,768 euros to 24,113 euros. That's $24,031.22-$32,612.80 (with today's exchange rate). ...seems to fit the current Tacoma's price range doesn't it?

Also I have not found the cars in Europe to be under powered compared to US cars, if you’re doing an apples to apples comparison.

You can’t compare a diesel Fiat in Europe to a V8 muscle car here, sure it would be considered under powered in that comparison. You would need to compare a diesel RAV4 or Yaris to a gas version to get a comparsion.

8. Mar 31, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    jpg366

jpg366 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5
    Smaller (like 1-gen) and with a diesel.

9. Mar 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    And I want a horn here, here, here, here, and here. You can never find the horn when you're angry!

10. Mar 31, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I'm just hoping for a SA front end lol

11. Mar 31, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    How about toilets in the driver seat?? So you can say it..then do it :laugh:

12. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    walleyeguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ford just created a new website, announced earlier this week, asking its customers and potential customers for ideas for future vehicles. Take a look at the top ten most popular requests so far: http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/

A lot of people are very interested in diesels, and a fair amount of mentions for the Ranger with a diesel or Eco-Boost engine.

I hope Toyota is listening as well, something needs to be done to drastically increase the fuel economy of the Tacoma.

Ford has already announced it will offer a V6 Eco-Boost engine for the F150. The V6 Eco-Boost will have equal or better performance than their V8 with improved fuel economy.

Here’s another article regarding Ford bring more advance technology to their engines: http://wot.motortrend.com/6666243/auto-news/ford-to-bring-more-diesel-tech-into-future-crop-of-ecoboost-engines/index.html

Toyota are you listening yet? Time to step up!!!

13. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I still don't get how people are surprised at the fuel economy of the 1GR engine.

V8 displacement = V8 fuel economy. It's not that complex guys. Most V8s are barely over 4 liters...some smaller V8s slot in the 3.6 to 3.8L range...the only difference between the 1GR and a small displacement V8 is that our engines have 6 slightly larger cylinders rather than 8 little ones. Why do you think this six cylinder can throw these 4000+ lb trucks around with such ease?

I agree, smaller displacement, more fuel efficient diesel engines would be nice. There's some hurdles to overcome there for the US market (poor diesel availability not the least of them), but it's doable.

14. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    Heated leather seats would really be nice to have.

15. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    I want a shitter in mine...I hate being in BFE and not having a shitter with me...

16. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    walleyeguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Why do these conversations always turn to crap? Pun intended.

17. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    x2
    Solid axle on the front with serviceable bearings, full float axle on the rear.
    Front/rear lockers as factory options. No electronic traction crap option. removable TPMS.
    keep current 1GR-FE I like timing chain instead timing belt like used to be in 3.4 slo
    Inline 6 would be nice like 1FZ-FE but i am probably pushing my luck.. :D

Put back the zerk in the driveshaft you knuckleheads. :rolleyes:
    Paint frame with primer and utility paint for Northeast folks.
    Would be nice if Toyota made utility version of the truck. Rugged simple. I am prepared to take driving test upon purchasing if it is required :D

18. Apr 15, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    walleyeguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I understand that it's a relatively large displacement engine for a V6, and it's has a negative impact on fuel economy.

It would be smart and wise for Toyota to stop increasing hp and torque so much and start focusing on MPG's. For example in the new 4Runner and FJ Cruiser they took the 4.0 added dual VVT-I and increased the hp and torque even more (with a very slight increase in mpg). Why not decrease the displacement, and add the additional technologies to keep the performance (hp and torque) the same but increase fuel economy?

In the case I mentioned above I understand that it's a lot easier to just add dual VVT-I to an existing engine than to create a new engine. However how are they going to boost market share if they don't make some more substantial changes?

I’m using Ford as an example they seem to be pushing performance and fuel economy with their eco-boost engines. What has Toyota brought to the table lately? …Dual VVT-i. Ford – Direct injection, turbo chargers, Dual Clutch transmissions with 6 speeds. Toyota has a few 6 speed autos but there are still a number of 5 speed autos (Tacoma for example) and really dated 4 speed transmissions (Corolla and 4 cyl. Tacoma for example).

Don’t get me wrong to this day I have only purchased Toyotas, however I’m getting concerned that they are falling behind in current drive train technologies.

19. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    walleyeguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I with you!

20. Apr 15, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    walleyeguy

Member:
    Vehicle: