1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust on brand new truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 09638, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:03 PM

09638 [OP] SCRAPER

Member:
    oahu,hawaii
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport sr5 prerunner
    2% tint, 20% entire windshield tint, led bulbs, hids, debadged, grey plate covers, shaved antenna, alpine in dash, rockford t2 and amps, rockford highs and mids, 35x12.50x20 toyo mt's, 20x12 fuel octane's deep, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, camburg UCA's, 6" lift w/4" blocks & AAL, 3" body lift, open hood scoop, BHLM, painted emblem, K&N filters, weather tech mats. Next Mod: resevoir rear shocks, Vinyl camo wrap when I'm bored of the grey...
    My truck is about 6 months old and while washing it the other day i discovered rust forming on the bar that runs along the front horizontally above the skid plate. It is right where the weld is to hold it on. After I found that I decided to pressure wash the area to see if there was anymore, I only had on the medium pressure nozzle and it took the paint right off my skid plate, THE ENTIRE SKID PLATE IS COMPELTELY RUSTED and they just painted right over it. Anyone else discover rust on your new tacomas? I think its a pretty shady thing for toyota to use rusty parts on brand new vehicles. should I make a complaint with toyota because i have the 60000 rust warranty, but I'm out of the 30000 full warranty. Will they do anything about it? or does it have to be on the paint job (body parts) for it to get repaired? Please let me know if you have had any experience with this and what you got out of it. I'm sure if i look some more I can find more rust spots...

2. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    Your full warranty should be 36000 miles. I would take it to the nearest stealership and have them look at it. And how can you drive more than 30,000 miles in less than 2 years, in Hawaii?

3. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    I was thinking the exact same thing!

4. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Lot's and lot's of circles:D

5. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    91Toyotabogger

91Toyotabogger "Loud Tires Can Save Lives"

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    91 4wd 5sp manual Pickup Standard cab white
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    haha..maybe he works for Dog The Bounty Hunter and covers the whole Island..

6. Feb 11, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Stay off the beach....the "salt life" will eat your truck up very quickly. Sodium Chloride and metal are not friends.

7. Feb 11, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    i dont think these frames are protected very well on the 2nd gens. including my own, i've been seeing more and more threads pop up on frame rust with the 05's and up.

8. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I've had been concerned with rust on my 2007. I used a water pressure spayer twice a year to keep it clean and spray the undercarriage with WD40 after each cleaning. I haven't seen a sign of rust since I started doing this.

I know it's not right having to deal with rust on what is bascially a new vehicle. I'm thinking I have no choice but to just deal with it. I also don't want to cover it up with something that hides the problem...

9. Feb 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    he is getting ready for nascar. :)

10. Feb 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM

09638 [OP] SCRAPER

Member:
    oahu,hawaii
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport sr5 prerunner
    2% tint, 20% entire windshield tint, led bulbs, hids, debadged, grey plate covers, shaved antenna, alpine in dash, rockford t2 and amps, rockford highs and mids, 35x12.50x20 toyo mt's, 20x12 fuel octane's deep, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, camburg UCA's, 6" lift w/4" blocks & AAL, 3" body lift, open hood scoop, BHLM, painted emblem, K&N filters, weather tech mats. Next Mod: resevoir rear shocks, Vinyl camo wrap when I'm bored of the grey...
    ya guess I spaced it my warranty is for 36. Ima take it in and complain. there shouldnt be any rust on an almost brand new truck, its BS. I shoot off the entire undercariage weekly with my pressure washer, I just didnt do the skid plate until I found the rust because I usually wash it or I would have found it earlier. and to all the people wondering how I rack up the miles so quickly, I use the truck for deliveries of home furnishings 5 days a week.

Products Discussed in

To Top