Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sliders, weld on or bolt on?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders, weld on or bolt on?

I've been considering sliders lately, and i'm at a loss as to what to do. Find a set to bolt on, or find some to weld on?

I don't plan on taking them off anytime soon and i want them to be sturdy. A couple of my friends have got me a little worried since they seem to think since the frame is tempered steel(?) and welding to it would decrease structural integrity?

Its a brand new truck and i definitely don't want to wreck it with a bad weld job, but then again drilling a million holes thru the frame can't be fun either....

What do ya'll think? What did you do? Were you worried about ruining your frame, especially with a new truck?

Btw, sorry if this topic has been beaten to death.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I was going to bolt my set in when I get around to getting them but only so I can remove them if I need to.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
I was wandering the samething but now I'm about to order my sliders and I made up my mind and I'm gonna weld mine on bcuz if I bolt it on and offroad itll probably just bend the bolts so I'm just gonna weld them on.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
there are thousands of people with welded on sliders

ive never read ANYTHING concerning negative aspects of welding them on...

hear about the possibilities all the time...never seen it actually happen
Old 02-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
I'd rather eat dirt
AZ11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shaun
AZ11's Tacoma Gallery
I think you only have to drill three more holes if you go the bolt on route, otherwise you can use the holes that are already there.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post

Weld them.... It's easier anyways.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
Taco Man Sam
Ese Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ese Loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTron View Post
I was wandering the samething but now I'm about to order my sliders and I made up my mind and I'm gonna weld mine on bcuz if I bolt it on and offroad itll probably just bend the bolts so I'm just gonna weld them on.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

See, thats what i thought also. I've noticed most ppl on here have their sliders welded on. Can't really be that bad?! Outta all the threads i've browsed through, i don't seem to find any horror stories and/or negative aspects from welding to our frame.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
See, thats what i thought also. I've noticed most ppl on here have their sliders welded on. Can't really be that bad?! Outta all the threads i've browsed through, i don't seem to find any horror stories and/or negative aspects from welding to our frame.
thats just it

theres tons of people who say NO...but theres even more people who have done it...and put a lot of stress on their sliders from all kinds of angles...and never had a problem

the key of course is to make sure they are properly welded on with plates/gussets/capable welder
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ11 View Post
I think you only have to drill three more holes if you go the bolt on route, otherwise you can use the holes that are already there.
Don't you need to add many more holes than that with All-Pro's? (one of my options for bolt-ons)
Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:
thats just it

theres tons of people who say NO...but theres even more people who have done it...and put a lot of stress on their sliders from all kinds of angles...and never had a problem

the key of course is to make sure they are properly welded on with plates/gussets/capable welder
I guess that's what i'm worried about. I wish i knew a highly skilled welder that i could trust my rig with! Unfortunately i don't and i'd either have to take someones word for it or ask around?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
I'd rather eat dirt
AZ11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shaun
AZ11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
Don't you need to add many more holes than that with All-Pro's? (one of my options for bolt-ons)
I was just going off of what JDEMELLO said about their product. I'm sure it depends on which ones you go with
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

just keep asking around...im not sure where everyone else gets theirs done...i had mine done at a friend's shop who builds full offroad buggies...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #14

I'd imagine if i could find someone with +10 years of custom automotive welding, they could be trusted.....
Old 02-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Maybe add a poll to the thread to see how many do what?