1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Some Good News For Toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toymaker, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    Toymaker

Toymaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra RCSB 4x4 TRD OR, Black
    I just thought, with all of the problems Toyota's having lately, things needed to be put into perspective.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/10/autos/edmunds_toyota_complaints/index.htm?hpt=C2

Relatively few complain about Toyota

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Despite a torrent of high-profile recalls that have tarnished Toyota's once stellar reputation, a study published Wednesday reveals that the automaker actually gets fewer customer complaints per car than the majority of its competitors.
    Edmunds.com reviewed more than 200,000 complaints filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) over the last decade and found that Toyota ranked 17th among the top 20 automakers in the overall number of complaints per vehicle sold.

[​IMG]

The results come amid a series of recalls totaling more than 8.1 million Toyotas worldwide, including 400,000 of the popular 2010 Prius hybrid for problems associated with sticking brake pedals, software glitches and faulty floormats.
    The study was based on the percentage of complaints each automaker received versus the total number of vehicles they sold in the United States between 2001 and 2010.
    As a result, British carmaker Land Rover had the highest proportion of complaints relative to the number of cars it sold. The company received 0.6% of the total complaints in the database, while its sales amounted to only 0.1% of all new cars sold in the United States.
    Meanwhile, Toyota had 9.1% of all the complaints in the database. But the company was number 17 on the list because its sales made up 13.5% of the U.S. market.
    According to the study, Toyota had fewer complaints than its American rivals.Ford (F, Fortune 500) was number 10 on the list, while General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) came in at number 11.
    The only automakers to receive fewer complaints than Toyota were Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and the Mercedes-made Smart Car.

No, Toyota isn't perfect but, it's still one of the better automakers out there.......So, stop worrying about your Tacoma.

2. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    But that number will sky rocket now

3. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    No it won't. Those aren't complaints by customers to toyota or it's dealerships. That study was complaints to NHTSA. If everything's been brought out in the open now (for those they're addressing), why would someone bother to file a complaint with NHTSA now? You wouldn't. You'd just go to the dealership to have it fixed...maybe complain to them or to Toyota, yes. But those wouldn't affect the numbers.

I prefer to see the stats on number of repairs per 100 vehicles sold. Toyota used to be in the top 3 (behind Lexus and Cadillac) of those with the least number of problems. But it's been years since I saw that list.

4. Feb 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    Creemore

Creemore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey TRD Sport/leather pkg.
    No it won't. Driving a Toyota, you may be out of touch with how bad a car can get. My Range Rover was the worst steaming three-coiler of a vehicle I have ever had the misfortune to own, and that's including the Lada my dad made me buy in 1980. Your Taco would have to steal your TV, barf on your kitchen floor, shoot your dog and hit on your girlfriend to come even close to the top of that list.

Products Discussed in

To Top