Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

oil capacity

Old 02-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
spyshot is on a distinguished road
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
oil capacity

i have a 09 trd off road with 4.0L v6. what is the correct oil capacity? the manual is very confusing but i understood it to say 5.5qts. i called my local dealer and they also say 5.5qts. so i put in 5.5qts. the dipstick is reading really high. an inch or two above the top dot. what's the deal?

i checked it after the truck ran for 2 minutes and then sat for an hour.

adam
Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Its 5.5 QTS for the 6 lug (when changing oil filter)

and its 4.8 QTS on the 5 lug (when changing oil filter)

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...6ta/002011.pdf
Old 02-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
TRIFECTA!!!
swise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to behold

swise's Tacoma Gallery
Having the oil filter on top takes a little more oil, but My TRD OR takes 5 qts exactly.

Like the stick says "do not overfill"
Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
The dipstick can sometimes be hard to read, plus it can smear oil when you take it out and it makes it look like there is more than actual amount. Try taking out the dip stick, then wipe it off. Put back in and take out to check again. That sounds kinda dirty lol.

Anyways......after engine is warmed up, and then turned off. You should only have to wait about 3-4 minutes before checking. And make sure you check the oil on level ground. Hope that helps, and that does sound like the right amount. Maybe your running into the problem up above. Or you put too much in.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
spyshot is on a distinguished road
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
no. i spoke to a tech at toyota and he advised me to use the dipstick at the proper amount, not the manual. if the oil is too full, (i'm told) that can lead to sloshing which will aerate the oil and it will loose it's lubrication properties.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
You would think Toyota would get this dipstick vs owners manual oil capacity thing straitened out. In my case (2.7L four banger) the dealer's work order shows 6 QTs with filter and the dipstick is on the full mark.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
On my 4.0L V6 I use 5.5qts with new filter. The dip stick is a pita but if you take a file and etch it in a "X" pattern between the marks it's easier to read. I've get the best readings after letting the truck sit over night. 5.5qts shows up even with the full mark on the dip stick.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
I usually put 5.5 quarts even though it reads high on the dipstick.