1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Leak (opinions welcome please)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mattioss, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    mattioss

mattioss [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Milford, De
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner DB TRD Sport
    None
    Hey Ladies and Gents,

First off i took my truck in for it's 35k mileage maint. Get a phone call from my frantic Service Consultant and he told me when they drained my oil it was a quart low and that there was severe leaking from the timing cover :eek:. I went over to the dealership and checked it out and sure enough the bottom of my truck has a slight cover of oil all over it.

I flip my freaking lid, i never noticed any oil leaking underneath the truck, nor did the oil light ever come on. Need less to say I was livid. The truck is not even 2 years old and it was leaking oil from the timing cover like that and I was a quart low. Well luckily I was traveling to Texas the next few days and they fixed it under warranty, but now I am worried about how long i was driving a quart low and if it did any internal damage.

Do you think I should be worried at all? Any suggestions and check your timing cover to make sure it's not leaking.

By the way this is on a 2008 Double Cab Pre-Runner 4.0L

Matt

2. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i'm willing to bet there are thousands of cars driving around a quart low. you should be fine. most people are not fanatics like us. they are oblivious to their oil levels.

3. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First, the oil light has nothing to do with oil quantity/level, it only detects and warns about pressure. Check your oil frequently to keep track of usage and loss.

Second, if the oil was low enough to be a serious problem in daily driving, it would have been when it was low enough to suck air into the oil pickup...which would have briefly dropped pressure...which would have illuminated the oil lamp. If you didn't see it flickering during a turn or change in speed, then it probably never sucked air.

4. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Why did you flip at the people that diagnosed a problem YOU didn't notice and could have caused serious damage to your engine? They saved your ass, they didn't cause the problem, and then they fixed it for you.

5. Feb 11, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Yea, why flip out over this? Sounds like they were legit concerned and wanted to get it taken care of asap.

Plus, a quart low isn't a big deal... The fact it's leaking sucks, the fact they caught it under warranty and didn't hide it is good. Also +1 on the oil light stuff above, if it comes on.. the damage is already done.

6. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:44 AM
    mattioss

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Milford, De
    Vehicle:
    None
    well when i say flip i didnt literally flip, in my head i was flipping out going crazy. i was extremely nice to Aaron (my service guy) and they took care of it, but it was more of a shock to me that it was leaking. They fixed it, i thanked them for in they even brought it home to my house because of the snow and I was stuck at Philly airport.

Matt

7. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I believe there is a TSB for this.

8. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:55 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah man....Some things are worth getting "Livid" over. This isn't one of them. 1 qt low isn't going to end the world and slow leaks will sometimes go undetected. If you didn't see any lights than you probably didn't do any damage and now the problem is fixed (under warranty I'm guessing).

So no harm-no foul.

9. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    If I got that call from them I'd say
    " cool, call me back when you guys fix it."

10. Feb 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM
    mattioss

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Milford, De
    Vehicle:
    None
    well it's fixed and i am happy with the service it was just a total shock to me plus i was supposed to drive out to texas but i just used a different vehicle so it was all just heat of the moment i was supposed to leave in 24 hours blah blah stuff. i was nice to them but behind the scenes i let the Italian ignorance come out in me.

11. Feb 12, 2010 at 5:04 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    It can be a shock when our piece of mind is interrupted :)

Products Discussed in

To Top