1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dont cheep out, get the TRD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jonny_jard, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Apr 4, 2008 at 7:21 PM
    jonny_jard

jonny_jard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco
    3" suspension lift, bull bar, IPF 100w flood light system, side bars, custom fit leather seat covers, URD CAI, URD MAF calibrator,
    The longer i own my SR5 the more i regret cheeping out and not getting the TRD sport package. Just and extra $5k or so for the tranny cooler, rear diff lock, suspension package, light set, ect..... I am a more aggressive driver and do take my truck off road once in a while, but even the little things like towing and heavier loads in the box when you actually need to do those things. I'm not saying my SR5 is useless, but just those little extras can sometimes mean a lot. What do you guys think?

2. Apr 4, 2008 at 7:25 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    actually, i think you mean trd offroad(has rear locker and tranny cooler...if it has a tow package), and the trd sport has an lsd rear diff, sport scoop hood,etc. both have fog lamps, trd suspension, sport bucket seats.

the locker does come in handy, but you can actually upgrade some of the lacking things on your truck fairly easy(but it does get expensive). i real happy with the features on my trd offroad prerunner.

3. Apr 4, 2008 at 7:28 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    It may be cheaper to get the base model and put the parts you want on the truck yourself. If you are going to be buying rims and tires no point in having the sport or offroad package that comes with some nicer rims. You can install a set of headers and a CAI for less than $5K. The tranny cooler may be a little expensive but I bet you caould put that on also and save a bunch.

If you get the Spring TSB done you will end up with the TRD shocks and springs.

4. Apr 4, 2008 at 7:35 PM
    jonny_jard

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco
    3" suspension lift, bull bar, IPF 100w flood light system, side bars, custom fit leather seat covers, URD CAI, URD MAF calibrator,
    i have been thinking about doing all that and i have already dumped a lot of cashola into the ole girl (URD CAI, MAF calibrator, lights, bull bar, nerf bars, 3 inch lift, tires, stereo, seat covers) but I've been thinkin about just trading in for the TRD off road package, it just seems to be the best bang for your buck kinda deal....

5. Apr 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hey man.....you've already got all that done..............i say keep it and finish it. better suspension(springs and shocks) and a e-locker diff,tranny cooler and hitch/trailer wire adapter and you would basically have a sweet prerunner. i vote for keeping it and finishing the job you started. that would be awesome man!!!

6. Apr 4, 2008 at 7:48 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I agree with Tacomaman06. Go get your oil changed at the dealership one day and go test drive a new tacoma if you need but I think you will see that your truck is better off than you suspect. I am the kinda guy that when I get an idea in my head its hard to get it out so i completely understand you.

7. Apr 4, 2008 at 8:14 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    If you got the SR5 package, the TRD packages include that in the option package. So you're really only looking at about $1000-1200 in upgrades over what you bought.

What is it that you feel you're missing that you'd need to buy a whole new truck?

8. Apr 4, 2008 at 9:14 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    It's all in what YOU need. I personally don't need any of that. I will need the towing stuff eventually but until I do I sure don't want to be paying 5% interest on it.

9. Apr 5, 2008 at 12:30 AM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I see that you have an '06, and if your truck is still under warranty I highly suggest you get the TSB done as soon as possible. As luk said, you will get the TRD suspension with the TSB. Then the only thing that separates your SR5 from a TRD Sport or TRD Off Road is color-keyed grille and bumper (Sport), sport seats, and respective differentials.

I had the TSB done this past week and love the way the TRD suspension rides. I would suggest getting the TSB (if applicable) before you decide to trade, and then decide if you really want those seats and stickers...

10. Apr 5, 2008 at 4:53 AM
    jonny_jard

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco

Was the TSB suspension mod free or did it cost you anything to have put in? If so does anyone know if it is applicable in Canada?

The issue started when the locker could definitely have got me out of a few situations already that would have been worth the extra cash on the initial purchase and the other extras would just have just been a bonus.

11. Apr 5, 2008 at 6:51 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^It isn't a "mod", it's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and it's covered under warranty (if you're still under 3/36). Canada, someone else will have to chime in.

12. Apr 5, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I should have clarified, sorry. The TSB is warranty work done to correct the sagging rear end when a lot of weight is put in the bed. They install new 4 leaf springs, and TRD shocks all around. Do a search for "TSB" and you'll be able to find a lot of information, including the actual TSB .PDF. I would assume that Canada is included, but I'm not 100% sure.

13. Apr 5, 2008 at 1:04 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.

My 07 SR5 DC came with the 4 leaf spring pak. I think thats a difference between US trucks and CDN trucks....no offense meant guys!!

14. Apr 5, 2008 at 1:51 PM
    Dcrooks84

Dcrooks84 Sir Anal Loin of Beef

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab SR5 Pkg #8 lng bd 4X4
    Removed secondary air filter, Fog light anytime, Map light mod, Scan Gauge II, Polished Stainless Steel Westin E-Series Bull Bar, Black GrilleCraft Grille, Borla CatBack Exhaust
    I have an SR5 truck, I'm not sure what different packages they had but mine is the SR5 package #8. I have the tranny cooler, extra oil cooler, rear lsd diff, 16" alloys, fog lights, and tow package.

15. Apr 5, 2008 at 4:07 PM
    tealm0nsta

tealm0nsta Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner
    trans coolers are only about $75 and take less than 30 mins to install. Seems like you don't mind modding the truck just get out the wrenches and save some cash.

16. Apr 5, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    OK, I have heard that before. I still don't understand why they are upgrading the CAN Tacoma's and not the US ones.

Products Discussed in

To Top