Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dont cheep out, get the TRD

Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
jonny_jard is on a distinguished road

jonny_jard's Tacoma Gallery
Dont cheep out, get the TRD

The longer i own my SR5 the more i regret cheeping out and not getting the TRD sport package. Just and extra $5k or so for the tranny cooler, rear diff lock, suspension package, light set, ect..... I am a more aggressive driver and do take my truck off road once in a while, but even the little things like towing and heavier loads in the box when you actually need to do those things. I'm not saying my SR5 is useless, but just those little extras can sometimes mean a lot. What do you guys think?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_jard View Post
The longer i own my SR5 the more i regret cheeping out and not getting the TRD sport package. Just and extra $5k or so for the tranny cooler, rear diff lock, suspension package, light set, ect..... I am a more aggressive driver and do take my truck off road once in a while, but even the little things like towing and heavier loads in the box when you actually need to do those things. I'm not saying my SR5 is useless, but just those little extras can sometimes mean a lot. What do you guys think?
actually, i think you mean trd offroad(has rear locker and tranny cooler...if it has a tow package), and the trd sport has an lsd rear diff, sport scoop hood,etc. both have fog lamps, trd suspension, sport bucket seats.

the locker does come in handy, but you can actually upgrade some of the lacking things on your truck fairly easy(but it does get expensive). i real happy with the features on my trd offroad prerunner.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
It may be cheaper to get the base model and put the parts you want on the truck yourself. If you are going to be buying rims and tires no point in having the sport or offroad package that comes with some nicer rims. You can install a set of headers and a CAI for less than $5K. The tranny cooler may be a little expensive but I bet you caould put that on also and save a bunch.

If you get the Spring TSB done you will end up with the TRD shocks and springs.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

i have been thinking about doing all that and i have already dumped a lot of cashola into the ole girl (URD CAI, MAF calibrator, lights, bull bar, nerf bars, 3 inch lift, tires, stereo, seat covers) but I've been thinkin about just trading in for the TRD off road package, it just seems to be the best bang for your buck kinda deal....
Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i have been thinking about doing all that and i have already dumped a lot of cashola into the ole girl (URD CAI, MAF calibrator, lights, bull bar, nerf bars, 3 inch lift, tires, stereo, seat covers) but I've been thinkin about just trading in for the TRD off road package, it just seems to be the best bang for your buck kinda deal....
hey man.....you've already got all that done..............i say keep it and finish it. better suspension(springs and shocks) and a e-locker diff,tranny cooler and hitch/trailer wire adapter and you would basically have a sweet prerunner. i vote for keeping it and finishing the job you started. that would be awesome man!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you got the SR5 package, the TRD packages include that in the option package. So you're really only looking at about $1000-1200 in upgrades over what you bought.

What is it that you feel you're missing that you'd need to buy a whole new truck?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
It's all in what YOU need. I personally don't need any of that. I will need the towing stuff eventually but until I do I sure don't want to be paying 5% interest on it.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #9
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see that you have an '06, and if your truck is still under warranty I highly suggest you get the TSB done as soon as possible. As luk said, you will get the TRD suspension with the TSB. Then the only thing that separates your SR5 from a TRD Sport or TRD Off Road is color-keyed grille and bumper (Sport), sport seats, and respective differentials.

I had the TSB done this past week and love the way the TRD suspension rides. I would suggest getting the TSB (if applicable) before you decide to trade, and then decide if you really want those seats and stickers...
Old 04-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
I see that you have an '06, and if your truck is still under warranty I highly suggest you get the TSB done as soon as possible. As luk said, you will get the TRD suspension with the TSB. Then the only thing that separates your SR5 from a TRD Sport or TRD Off Road is color-keyed grille and bumper (Sport), sport seats, and respective differentials.

I had the TSB done this past week and love the way the TRD suspension rides. I would suggest getting the TSB (if applicable) before you decide to trade, and then decide if you really want those seats and stickers...

Was the TSB suspension mod free or did it cost you anything to have put in? If so does anyone know if it is applicable in Canada?

The issue started when the locker could definitely have got me out of a few situations already that would have been worth the extra cash on the initial purchase and the other extras would just have just been a bonus.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^It isn't a "mod", it's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and it's covered under warranty (if you're still under 3/36). Canada, someone else will have to chime in.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
I should have clarified, sorry. The TSB is warranty work done to correct the sagging rear end when a lot of weight is put in the bed. They install new 4 leaf springs, and TRD shocks all around. Do a search for "TSB" and you'll be able to find a lot of information, including the actual TSB .PDF. I would assume that Canada is included, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^It isn't a "mod", it's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and it's covered under warranty (if you're still under 3/36). Canada, someone else will have to chime in.

My 07 SR5 DC came with the 4 leaf spring pak. I think thats a difference between US trucks and CDN trucks....no offense meant guys!!
Old 04-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Sir Anal Loin of Beef
Dcrooks84 has a spectacular aura aboutDcrooks84 has a spectacular aura about

Dcrooks84's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Dcrooks84
Quote:
I have an SR5 truck, I'm not sure what different packages they had but mine is the SR5 package #8. I have the tranny cooler, extra oil cooler, rear lsd diff, 16" alloys, fog lights, and tow package.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
tealm0nsta is on a distinguished road
tealm0nsta's Tacoma Gallery
trans coolers are only about $75 and take less than 30 mins to install. Seems like you don't mind modding the truck just get out the wrenches and save some cash.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #16
Kylie's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmo View Post
My 07 SR5 DC came with the 4 leaf spring pak. I think thats a difference between US trucks and CDN trucks....no offense meant guys!!
OK, I have heard that before. I still don't understand why they are upgrading the CAN Tacoma's and not the US ones.