1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma driveshaft recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toyby4, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    toyby4

toyby4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 INDIGO INK PEARL TRD Sport
    Black HID Headlights, HID FOGs, Leer Tonneau, Tint, Pioneer NAV, Backup CAM
    In a dealer communique sent out today, Toyota has announced the voluntary recall of some 8,000 2010 Tacomas that could suffer from a defect in the front propeller shaft.

Pickuptrucks.com reports that a crack can form in the rear joint, causing the driveshaft to come loose from the truck. Obviously, this defect will only affect four-wheel drive models, so standard two-wheel drive Tacomas are left out of the recall.

According to Brian Lyons, Toyota's head of safety communications, "Most of the vehicles [included in the recall] are in the pipeline in Toyota's distribution system or on dealer lots."

Affected owners can contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331 for more information, and Toyota dealers will perform a ten minute visual inspection of the trucks. Naturally, if they find a fault with the prop shaft assembly, it will be replaced free of charge.

source

2. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    When will it end

3. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Thanks for the heads-up! :mad:

4. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    ASH

ASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    SnugTop Rebel Shell, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, Rear TSB, BFG A/T KO 265/75/16, Tranny TSB, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Debadged (Sides), Black Badges (Tailgate), Avid Off Road Sliders, TRD Shoulder Pads, Factory Color-Matched Grille w/Blacked-Out Emblem
    Here's the text:

5. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    Tim A

Tim A Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    Well I gotta go pick up my license plates anyway...might as well have them look at it.

6. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    FishErTaco

FishErTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 DoubleCab 4x4 SR5
    Extang Trifecta tonneau, black textured N-Fabs, AFE Pro Dry S, WeatherTech vent visors, WeatherTech floormats
    Here's another link with info: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02/recall-alert-2010-toyota-tacoma.html

Says it's for "Toyota Tacoma models were produced from mid-December 2009, to early February 2010".

Checked inside the drivres door frame, mine was built in Sept '09... hope they're sure about the dates.

They say they'll do a visual inspection to see if it needs replaced...not sure what they're looking at, it may not crack until months from now. They should just replace them all if they know there's a serious problem.

7. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Bought mine in early November '09. I also hope they have the dates of manufacture right! Crap! More stuff?!!! Wonder if they have a new supplier?
    Bastidges!

8. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    FishErTaco

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 DoubleCab 4x4 SR5
    Extang Trifecta tonneau, black textured N-Fabs, AFE Pro Dry S, WeatherTech vent visors, WeatherTech floormats
    All of these problems seem to be b/c of USA-made products that are defective...they need to get back to building these in Japan and using quality parts....hate to say that they should be sending these jobs overseas but I care a lot more about the safety of me and my family.

9. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    Tim A

Tim A Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    Just got off the phone, the Toyota guy verified the Dec 09- Feb 10 dates and said there was a defect with the casting of the front propeller shaft on the vehicles produced during those 3 months.

Mine was made Nov 09, cuttin it close.

10. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    I agree ....to a degree. I'm not a fan of building the trucks outside the U.S., but at least put some quality control responsibility on the supplier of the parts. Hell! If we were that lax at Electric Boat, building submarines, we'd kill many people and be out of the business. We perform site and receipt inspections of every part from every vendor. I work as a Process Engineer (read: Lean, Six Sigma, Toyota Method). What in Hell happened? Are they unable to hold their suppliers accountable? Seems they may be failing to follow the system they honed to near perfection!

11. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    FishErTaco

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 DoubleCab 4x4 SR5
    So are all parts of the Tacoma completely fabricated and put together in the US? Suspect it's cheaper for Toyota to build them here than to build it overseas and pay an import tax (I assume there's still an import tax on vehicles being brought into the US...years ago when I bought my Nissan pickup I remember reading there was a couple thousand dollar import tax on the Nissan, but it was still competitively priced to what you could buy here)

12. Feb 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Nov 09 as well :smash:

13. Feb 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    They build them here and from what I can tell, use a mixture of suppliers for parts....(Sticking throttle was a North American supplier). If they would just apply the quality philosophy and controls that got them to where they were the most reliable car sold, IN the North American plants, they would not have these problems.

And now..........Mark looks around sheepishly :sorry:..........and concludes his rant! :rant:

14. Feb 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    couldn't have come at a worse time...when it rains it pours!:rain:

15. Feb 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    warrior

warrior Member

Member:
    York,Pa
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dc Trd Offroad
    December 09 here! Father inlaw die hard Ford man keeps me up to date on all Toyota recalls. My 10 taco and wifes 09 matrix. I`ll never here the end of this.

16. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.

word! thank goodness my ford friend is in costa rica..he would have a field day.

17. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I just read it. One of the comments towards the commercials made me laugh.

" Toyota: Moving Forward (sometimes faster than we'd like you to) "

Maybe they should change it to Lunging forward for now. ha ha.

18. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    ToyoTaco10

ToyoTaco10 Member

Member:
    San Jose, Ca
    Vehicle:
    10 Mag Taco
    S.O.B. I just went out and checked 01/2010.

The truth is that all new cars have some defects that never get brought to light for various reason mainly economic, so I guess its good that toyota is under a magnefying glass for the time being.

19. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I picked mine up in August 09. I suppose this makes me safe from the recall?
    Sounds like just a bad batch from the supplier and nothing like the gas pedal issue.

20. Feb 12, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    Broke

Broke Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 L/B Black Sand Pearl TRD Sport
    Sun Roof, Leather, Clear Bra, Tint, TRD Exhaust, Scratch Film Door Handles
    10/09 here

Products Discussed in

To Top