1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 TRDOR AC; how much is it worth 3k miles, trading for F150

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lightfire, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Feb 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    usmrocks

usmrocks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    mississippi
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 4wd
    just like she came in 1996
    ok, we'll start taking up donations for everyone who wants him to keep the truck and if we raise enough to pay for it i'm sure he'd keep it. Good job answering his question though.

2. Feb 12, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    actually there was a recall today for the 2010's

3. Feb 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    SoCaliSnowboarder77

SoCaliSnowboarder77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valencia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 GSXR 600 & Snowboarders Hauler
    4x4 OFF-ROAD... that is all I need...
    Just saw that right now. Glad I bought an 09. But who knows when Yota will expand the recall to all 2nd gens... Maybe I'll trade in my Coma for a used STI. Those are so much more fun to drive than my Coma anyway.

4. Feb 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    Don't be so set on that f150 tailgate my dad is on his 4th tailgate since he bought it new in 06.

5. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.

If your getting 17 mpg with a tacoma, you'll be getting 12-13 mpg with an F-150. I promise you that.

If you wanted a full size truck, why did you buy a Tacoma in the first place. If you do trade in an 2010 like that you will lose your a**.

6. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:20 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    you will lose fun driving it after a while I traded in a 2008 stage 2 Wrx that ran circles around my buddies sti's and I got bored. I like 4 wheels of fury and being able to romp shit :).

7. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:37 AM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    I PMd you. Good luck with the F-150, They are a great truck, Ive had several and you can do what you want to them and they hold up very well. 3 F-150s and 2 F-250s and only one F-150 Had a light come on and that was my fault cuz I put gas in it without turning off the truck.

8. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:46 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Talk about a knee jerk reaction :eek:. Taking a bath on your truck because the tail gate is weak is over-reacting. Go get the tailgate TSB done if your worried about it bending. I must be lucky, I weigh 220 pounds, and my father in law weighs 240, both of us have stood on the middle of my tail gate and so far so good. These forums have a way of initiating a placebo effect on those that read them. Most of the problems are perceived instead of reality. The F-150 is a nice truck, and I've looked at them recently too because I like the bigger cab, but spend some time over on the F-150 forums and see what problems those owners grip about.

9. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Take off the door panel and find the problem. Probably a wire that could use some tape around it or something to insulate it. Your gas mileage WILL be worse, however I too like the new F-150. Except the taillights look make it look like something made out of LEGOS.

10. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    I am going to chime in here for one reason. I just purchased and my choices were between a DC Taco and a DC F150. I even rented a 4WD DC F150 for a drive from Maryland to the Atlanta, GA area last year. The truck was a 4.6L powered truck with a nice option set. The Ford drove like a dream and was very comfortable on long drives. Cruise control set at around 5 MPH above posted speed the whole way and the vehicle got 20.2 MPG. Around town/combo driving if you did not jackrabbit I would get about 18. It was an automatic.

It was not as easy to park or drive in the city. It does have lots of room inside. The F150 is a great truck but there can be some costly issues with these trucks that may come up. I am a mechanic so those do not stress me as much, but I still weighed them. I ended up with the Tacoma TRD OR.

More maneuverable, if I get into it a little it does not punish me as much on fuel economy as the full size. Non of the current recall stuff is a concern to me because I understand the technology, Toyota's long term vision and culture, and what I was really looking for. The Tacoma really hits that sweet spot between full size and scrunching my shoulders to fit in a mini.

My first tank, mixed driving was 16.7 MPG. At about 3K miles I have just returned from a run to Richmond. On the way down there was stop and go driving due to the weather but I was in 2WD. Once in Richmond, I worked all week making short (2-5 mile) trips every day and then drove back. The truck is up to 19.2 for this combined tank. It is still coming up and is not broken in all the way yet. I expect to get a little more when I switch to synthetic.

I suggest you get on the Ford forums and read a little first. You will likely find more big ticket repair items than with the Tacoma. Engines and transmissions and so on. The depreciation hit is much larger. These things are easy to see by going to a site like CARMAX and shopping by vehicle. Go look at what 2 year old vehicles you are comparing are bringing. Heck it looks like you could straight up trade the Toy for a two year old XLT.

11. Feb 13, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    lightfire

lightfire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    LOL, I am glad you like the toy tailgate. IMO if someone was smart enough to manufacture an aftermarket strong tailgate for 2005 plus Tacoma they would make their millions of dollars. Steel frame embedded in carbon fiber?

I actually agree with several of the posts. There is a lot to like about the Tacoma. I bought it because I had owned 5 of them (Toyota 4x4) in the past. It does not seem like the older ones to me.

All vehicles of all makes will have some problems. But if Toyota doesn't get their act together with a more fuel efficient engine they are going to lose more market share. There is no way this Tacoma should get less than 22-25 mpg. If a person wishes to sacrifice comfort, room, ability to tow, etc to get one of these then they should benefit from much higher mileage. As it stands there is only 1-2 mpg difference in the bigger trucks and when Ford releases the ecoboost in the F150 this margin will be overwhelmed. Too bad for me it will be next year.

12. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    DSMissed

DSMissed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    3" lift with adjustable shocks and AAL, TPS disabled, anytime locker mod, MOOG greasable ball joints and adjustment pins, URD M3 s/c, Pioneer nav headunit, xplod 1000w amp, 10" infinity sub, tinted windows, lightly tinted tails, color matched front grill with blacked out emblem. Do battle scars count as mods?? =D
    Quit complaining and go buy your Ford.

I honestly think that Toyota has the Tacomas running a little on the rich side to increase engine life. I can live with that.

13. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Why not consider a Tundra if you want a bigger truck? My Tundra was awesome. The only reason I not have a Tacoma is that some dumb ass drunk driver hit it in my driveway. Good luck with whatever you go with. Not sure how you got a 2010 in the first place...if you were wanting a bigger truck. Before I make a 30k purchase I think it out first...but that's just me.

14. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    cartage1

cartage1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleveland, Oh
    Vehicle:
    TRD, Sport
    Great answer by Jim....

I actually traded in my F 150 for the Tacoma, and couldn't be happier. The ONLY reason you should go after the FORD is to buy the new SVT Monster..., but I would buy the Tundra instead and load it up with some gear instead.

If you are realistically looking for a response to your value question, here is what the dealer is going to do:
    Give you Black Book (Auction) value for your Taco, and deal a little on the new truck.

Dealers make their money on kicking your butt on trades, and keep a few nickels and dimes on the new....

They offer auction value, so they always have a positive value on the used car lot. No matter what happens...(i.e. they have to send your trade to auction) they protect the trade position.

The dealers also put their best people on the used side of the business (used car manager is generally the sharpest in the joint), so you would be better off trying to sell private party, and then go in with a clean slate to negotiate for the Ford.

I personally love my 06 TRD OR, and it is hands down a better truck than the F150 I had...

Good luck, and start with the Black Book expectation and work your way up from there.... it won't be pretty...:eek:

15. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    tacolunatic

tacolunatic Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport / 99 PreRunner ExCab
    My 2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport has about 2500 miles so far. I'm very pleased with the milage. Worst has been 19.6 and best 21.2 I have driven easy so far.
    My brother-in-laws new F150 14 - 18
    I'll keep my Toyota. Plenty of room for me and my family of 4
    I still have my 99 Tacoma Prerunner 200K miles and still going strong.

16. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I like the fords. i also like the toyota's. good luck with whatever you decide!

17. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I contemplated trading mine for an svt raptor with the 5.4!

18. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    IIRC the tailgate TSB ended with the 08, supposedly the new improved gate came out late 08

19. Feb 13, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

One of the better internet pictures I've seen. Nice work.

20. Feb 13, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

I don't know what kind of fat ass can stand on your tailgate to make it bend... :confused:

I've had 400+ plus pounds on my tailgate with no issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top