1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing Rear Door Handles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BreezyTaco, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Feb 13, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    BreezyTaco

BreezyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    I just installed color matching door handles on the front two doors, and I am stumped on the rears. How do I do this? I saw the thread about removing the whole door, do I have to do that in order to get the crappy cheap black handle toyota put on here? Any advice quickly is greatly appreciated.

2. Feb 14, 2010 at 12:09 AM
    BreezyTaco

BreezyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    I just figured it out, and it is pretty easy...

You remove the door panel by unscrewing the screw by the inside handle and the arm rest.

Remove the window switch and D/C the plug

You carefully pry out the panel, starting at the bottom closest to the cab of the door, and work your way up.

Once the door panel is off you will see one screw holding the outside handle, unscrew that with a T-30 bit, next you will see a rubber piece hiding the screw to the window guide remove that, and with a 10mm socket unscrew the bolt, then unscrew the bolt above it by the window.

Remove the wires that are by the window slide, it is a round thing that you can D/C with your fingernail. Off to the side there are 3 bolts holding the lock mechanism remove those and the lock should fall down allowing access to the bolt holding the end of the handle or where you could stick a key in. Unscrew that and pop out the end of the handle, I used a screw driver in between the handle and the little rubber piece.

Slide out the gripping part of the handle and replace with the new ones. After all of that is done put everything back together. Hope this helps, and is my first little write up let me know if you have any questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top