Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Axle degree shims OR Driveshaft carrier bearing drop kit

Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
surftodd is on a distinguished road

surftodd's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Axle degree shims OR Driveshaft carrier bearing drop kit

I just put in 1.5 inch rear blocks and get a very, very, very slight vibration from the rear. Any suggestions on which "corrector" kit to go with? Has any one else dealt with this? Rear Axle degree shims OR Drive shaft carrier bearing drop kit?

For those that are ready to go on about "I should have use the add-a-leafs", they were not an option for my 2007 with the TSB... according to the guys at Toytech...
Old 04-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you have blocks - then you shouldn't stack the block & shim together.

I would assume the block has a *hole* in the top where the leaf spring centering pin is inserted. Then - at the bottom, you'd have a round stub sticking out that would be inserted into the spring perch ? If you stick a shim in there top/bottom - you take away from the purpose of the centering pin. It's just not safe to stack the two (shims/block).
Old 04-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If you have blocks - then you shouldn't stack the block & shim together.

I would assume the block has a *hole* in the top where the leaf spring centering pin is inserted. Then - at the bottom, you'd have a round stub sticking out that would be inserted into the spring perch ? If you stick a shim in there top/bottom - you take away from the purpose of the centering pin. It's just not safe to stack the two (shims/block).
i got the shims and put them on top of my blocks. it took away the vibes i was getting. putting it on top still left enough room to get the spring pack pin into the block.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftodd View Post
Great point....what are my options?
Obviously, others have done it without problems.

If you get the right sized shims to prevent your vibrations - then perhaps you might think about having the shims & blocks welded together.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i got the shims and put them on top of my blocks. it took away the vibes i was getting. putting it on top still left enough room to get the spring pack pin into the block.

Any chance that you have a picture off the assembly. I talked to toytech today and they said that the shim will allow the alignment pins to pass through.

Also, when you felt the vibration from the drive shaft, were vibrations felt a little through the steering column??? I notice this slightly, as well as some vibs when I brake. I double checked all bolts on the front and they were found to be tight...

I am hoping that all this is a result of a slightly off drive shaft that is still in an off-kilter rotation even even I am not accelerating.

Hoping that they shims will fix all....
Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftodd View Post
Any chance that you have a picture off the assembly. I talked to toytech today and they said that the shim will allow the alignment pins to pass through.

Also, when you felt the vibration from the drive shaft, were vibrations felt a little through the steering column??? I notice this slightly, as well as some vibs when I brake. I double checked all bolts on the front and they were found to be tight...

I am hoping that all this is a result of a slightly off drive shaft that is still in an off-kilter rotation even even I am not accelerating.

Hoping that they shims will fix all....
yeah, i did a write up in the suspension section about the vibes i was getting and all. i was getting vibes at 55+ and between 20-25 while slowing down.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #8

I just went out and added 4 washers to drop the center bearing holder on the drive shaft... This seemed to get rid of the vibs above 40....but I still feel a vib from 30-20 when decelerating.

My shims should be here in a couple of days. I will have to give that a try then... this is freaking annoying!