LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

brake pads?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
the fresh prince
toyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to behold
Name: Aaron
toyotacoinwa's Tacoma Gallery
brake pads?

so i'm getting this yellow light on my dash that i'm pretty sure means new brake pads.. everytime i brake it makes a squeal. so i was wondering how often do brake pads go out cuz i've had my truck since march of 08 and bought it brand new and also how much does it usually cost to replace them? thanks for your help
Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
pads are cheap and its a half hour job DIY
Old 02-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
the fresh prince
toyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to behold
no i've havent gone offroading lately do to skool...

and my parents said i have to get it done professionally. how much do people like mitas or les schwab charge?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
just wondering,how many miles do u have on your truck?cause ive got 80,000 miles with plenty of pad left.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
the fresh prince
somewhere around 35k? yeah my dad says his truck went 100k without any noise from the brakes.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotacoinwa View Post
so i'm getting this yellow light on my dash that i'm pretty sure means new brake pads.. everytime i brake it makes a squeal. so i was wondering how often do brake pads go out cuz i've had my truck since march of 08 and bought it brand new and also how much does it usually cost to replace them? thanks for your help
Dude, the yellow light on your dash sounds like the low tire pressure indicator... confirm this by looking in your owners manual and it'll show you the dash symbols. Now it won't tell you a specific tire that's low so check all your tires.

As for your front brakes, depending on what type of driving you do, you should expect the front pads to last from 30K-50K; not the rule just a generally. Hope this helps!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no i've havent gone offroading lately do to skool...

and my parents said i have to get it done professionally. how much do people like mitas or les schwab charge?
"Do to skool", huh? That sucks. Please spend your time studying and not offroading.

If you aren't sure what is wrong, your parents are right, you need to get professional assistance. I would recommend that you find a good independent mechanic in your area. Ask some older people in your area that know some stuff about cars - the more you ask, the better. If you hear the same name a lot, go there and keep going there. It may cost a little more than the volume shops, but it will pay for itself in the long run with correct diagnosis and good quality parts.

Those shops live and die on their reputation.

I realize money can be tight - especially when you are in school, but maybe make a deal with your parents to cover the difference between the cheapie shop and the good shop. They seem to be concerned enough about your safety to not let you monkey with your brakes on your own so I think they will go for that.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
"Do to skool", huh? That sucks. Please spend your time studying and not offroading.

If you aren't sure what is wrong, your parents are right, you need to get professional assistance. I would recommend that you find a good independent mechanic in your area. Ask some older people in your area that know some stuff about cars - the more you ask, the better. If you hear the same name a lot, go there and keep going there. It may cost a little more than the volume shops, but it will pay for itself in the long run with correct diagnosis and good quality parts.

Those shops live and die on their reputation.

I realize money can be tight - especially when you are in school, but maybe make a deal with your parents to cover the difference between the cheapie shop and the good shop. They seem to be concerned enough about your safety to not let you monkey with your brakes on your own so I think they will go for that.
greight advise,skool is so impourtent.rep your way john.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
the fresh prince
yeah thanks guys..

I told my dad that light was for air pressure and I took it to the tire place and they filled it but it doesn't go away so he said it's probably the brakes cuz he heard my brakes one day when I pulled up.

Also yeah I'm planning on going tomorrow to get a few estimates if places are open cuz my parents won't mind paying a lil more if the job is done right.. and your right taco john brakes arent anything to play around with..
Old 02-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
If you are talking about the tire pressure light, don't forget the spare. It has a monitoring valve too.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
the fresh prince
oh lol i will check that out today.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

Army: Infantry
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You sure it isn't low tire pressure ?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Either look in the owner's manual and figure out what that light is, or take a picture and post it up here.