1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cold weather washing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jimiola, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    HARDSHELLTACO

HARDSHELLTACO HoofHearted

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Quick tip: if you get stranded and your lock is frozen you can use a cig lighter and heat the key. Just the tip, so that the plastic or computer chip inside doesn't f-up. Then stick it in and repeat if neccessary. Wait a minute, that sounds kind of perverted.

2. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    I did mine today with 8*C about 46*F, but it was kinda sunny.... still the water was freaking cold

3. Feb 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    We have multiple bay indoor wash facilities in my town and unless it's goofy cold out (say -20C and colder) I'll wash my truck in those when ever the truck needs it. I've done the same thing with every vehicle I've ever owned and never had an issue with paint damage or anything like that. The only thing I make sure to do is to air dry the door handles and locks so that they don't freeze up. I also make sure to run the defrost lots when leaving to try and get rid of as much moisture as you can from within the cab, otherwise you'll get ice on the inside of the windows. You'll probably still get a bit even if you do this, but it usually sorts itself out after a day or two of normal driving.

Truth be told, I don't think there is a BETTER time to wash your vehicle than when the temp consistently stays between -10 and -15 or so, especially if your city doesn't use salt. Nothing melts at those temps and your vehicle stays nice and sparkly clean for weeks :D

4. Feb 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    VixTacom

VixTacom SYC TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Wayne, NJ
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD
    LED's and Neon Glow inside, Blacked out front end, 4X4 with Locking Diff, 5spd Manual, TRD package, CB Radio, Gray Wire Mod, Thrush exhaust system, Tinted marker lights, tailights, interior lights
    the coldest for me was a 40 degrees...

5. Feb 15, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    NorthXNorthwest

NorthXNorthwest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Creek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4X4 Not Debaged
    BHLM, Ultra Mammoths, Husky mats, K&N non true CAI, window tint, Avid Steps and light bar.
    Home on leave in Oregon this winter and I washed my truck in the evening at about 35 degrees. Within hours, the driveway was a sheet of ice.

Side benefit, my mother in law could not get her car up to my house.... :)

6. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I installed a gas heater in the garage, now I can work on my truck and keep it clean all year round. Heater was only a couple hundred bucks. When I get home from work I turn the heater on and in an hour the garage is warmed up.

7. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    jbone

jbone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    CT
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Sport Pyrite Mica
    Weathertech floor liners, Bed mat, Transmission TSB, disabled seat belt chime, Pioneer Avic- x920bt, TRD catback exhaust, Bilstein 5100s on all 4 (front @ 1.75"), Rear TSB, 17x8 pro comp 7005, 265/70/17 Duratracs, AFE Pro Dry S filter
    I will not hand wash my truck unless its above 40 and sunny out. Every other time, I will take it to a touchless car wash. Its awesome. It'll do the undercarriage as I drive in, blast the sides where all the salt stays, and dry it with these loud ass jet dryers. $10 might be a little steep, but I think its worth every penny.

8. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    I use a touchless up here from Dec. to about March.

9. Feb 16, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    btw, i use a brush when i clean the truck, not by hand really, its a pbrush on a pole, so that way my hands dont sit in water

10. Feb 16, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I went wheelin in the snow once and my truck was COVERD in snow. it started to melt off but re froze that night. the next morning on the way to work my truck was making all kinds of crazy clunking sounds from everything under it being solid ice.

I did my best to power wash as much out as i could the next day, It was probably 28-30 degrees. I did have ski gloves and all my cold weather gortex stuff on

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top