Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stiff steering?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
nmce is on a distinguished road
nmce's Tacoma Gallery
Stiff steering?

I've been following the motor mount discussion, and so far have avoided that problem, but now have one of my own:

In the last few weeks, the steering in my '05 4x4 double-cab (~55K miles) has gotten fairly stiff. Not so difficult to turn as if you lost power steering, but significantly more resistance than just prior. My wife had used the truck for a couple of days (she swears she didn't hit anything!), and at first I thought I had just become accustomed to her Odyssey, but now I am sure something is screwy. When turning the wheel, it seems to go through points of more and less resistance.

I had them check it out at my last oil change. At first the tech said he could not feel it, but then acknowledged it, saying it felt more when turning left. He could find nothing in about a 20 minute front end inspection.

Has anybody else noticed anything similar with their truck? Any ideas where to point the next trouble-shooting?

Thanks all!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timbo805's Tacoma Gallery
your going to need a new transmision and motor hahahah
Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo805 View Post
your going to need a new transmision and motor hahahah
That was helpful
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timbo805's Tacoma Gallery
sorry bud just cant think of anything
Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
maybe check the tire pressure? If its low due to cold, or a leak maybe that can cause it.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I just drove my dad's prerunner for a few days, and when I got back into my 4x4 I really noticed how stiff my steering is.
I think its just because of the CVs on the 4x4s.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
melon16 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
melon16's Tacoma Gallery
try giving the power steering fluid a flush. cheap and not a terrible idea anways.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
nmce's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the ideas. I went ahead and ordered the new engine and transmission. That should fix it!

OK, seriously: thanks for the tips. I was also wondering about the CV joints, but thought it unlikely that would lead to noticeably stiff steering but no other symptoms.

Flushing and replacing the power steering fluid seems like a good idea. Hopefully that does it, or they find something (cheap) next time I bring it in.

Thanks again....
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Are the tires old or under inflated? I notice when I put new tires on vehicles, the steering eases up.

If you flush the ps fluid, you might try synthetic. It flows better in the cold and I'm sure it's probably cold in NH.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
nmce's Tacoma Gallery
We just got back from a couple of hundred mile trip skiing today. Problem has gone away completely - for now.

That bothers me even more, knowing that it's likely to surprise me at the worst time, and now trouble-shooting will be impossible. Although, now flushing the fluid makes even more sense.

Thanks for the brainstorming!