1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy or not to buy a 2010 Tacoma ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rendertrust, Feb 16, 2010.

?

Would you tell a close friend/relative looking to get a 2010 Taco

Poll closed Mar 18, 2010.
  1. Buy a new Tacoma without worries and enjoy the discounts

244 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Wait till Recalls are sorted out, maybe 2011 model year will be better

37 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Don't ever trust Toyota like I did !

12 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Feb 16, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Having to go out of my way to get the leaf spring TSB done is IMO horseshit. I was just lucky that the service advisor I had took care of me. Others on this board haven't been so lucky. The fact that this truck has been out for years since the TSB was issued, without any changes to the rear leaf spring assembly, doesn't sit well with me.

The sum of time consuming and negative experiences I've had with my Toyota, Toyota dealers, plus all the hubbub going on now will definitely play a part in my decision to purchase another in the future.

I just hope the '10 I have now is trouble free for the rest of the time I own it.

2. Feb 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    packetshooter

packetshooter Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    I bought one before the recall and love it! It was good timing too. Right before the two blizzards hit.

Get the warranty on it and life will be good. There has not been a vehicle I've owned that has not had a recall. :eek:

3. Feb 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    If you can hold out a few more months I'd say get the 2011. My Truck is only at 2500 miles and has only one issue (won't shift between 2 wheel and 4 wheel below 0 degrees right away, Waits til all moving parts have warmed up (5miles or so!) . This makes me put it in 4 wheel before I shut it off to ensure I'll get out of my driveway on cold mornings).
    BUT with the newest recall of the Tacomas built from mid DEC. to end of FEB. for the drive shaft issue I wouldn't be surprised to have some sort of recall on my Tacoma (built earlier than that) for something else with Toyota under the Government's microscope now.

From my understanding The 2011 should come out late summer early fall so I'd say by then they can work all this Sh@@ out and you should still be able to get a GREAT deal on either a leftover 10 or a new 11. Either way if you get it tomorrow or next year you will love this truck, At least I DO!!

4. Feb 16, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    I own a 2005 2wd base model and have gotten over my head with electronic parts that are wearing out prematurely and my warrenty from TOYOTA will not cover:confused:. Good thing I'm the mechanic, other than that the truck is over built. It has seen mud holes that Dodges, Chevys, Fords, and even other TOYOTA's have failed to cross. The truck takes a beating and asks for seconds.:D

For better deals go to the dealers about 2 days before the end of the month. The dealers will make much better deals due to dealership competeing.

5. Feb 16, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    Dan893

Dan893 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 doublecab longbed
    TRD cold air intake, 6k HID headlights, 3K HID foglights, custom sockmonkey decals
    Am I the only new member that doesn't care about the latest toyota bull in the news and enjoys his new truck.

6. Feb 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    mpressive

mpressive Member

Member:
    I don't know of any other truck out there that is bought without a test drive. But for a Tacoma I know of at lease 5 people that bought one sight unseen. I even bought mine over the phone.

7. Feb 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Pretty much my story too... I heard such good things about the Tacoma from so many reliable sources, it's the only model I seriously considered when shopping for a used late model pickup. Of course I priced the Ranger and Frontier just for comparison purposes, they are good trucks but I never really imagined owning one. The Tacoma is not perfect but it is the best midsize pickup available and I am very happy. The local dealers were asking $15,500 for the 2006 model I wanted and they all had about 80k miles on the odometer. A friend drove me 2 hours out of town to pick up the one I bought, got the 2006 for $14,500 with 40k miles. It pays to shop around. :D

8. Feb 16, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Unless your feet fall through the rusted out floor boards
    j/k
    No one beats TOYOTA quality no one, that is why this stuff is big news

9. Feb 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    4th option:

Who cares what you decide to do, I am happy with my choice after reviewing the options available.

10. Feb 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Thing is this is the 10th year of the second 2005+ gen's
    When the new generation comes out in 2014 (it has been pushed back from 2012) I can not imagine the problems that this first year production model will have - they all have them. I am glad to have the 2010 that has been smoothed out and improved over the years

11. Feb 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    kdepew

kdepew Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Houston, Tx
    And what does that say? To be honest, I don't know why anyone would buy a vehicle sight unseen or without a test drive. In my opinion, that says nothing about the truck. No offense, but that says something negative about those who would purchase a vehicle in that manner. It also says that at least some people really are "fan boys" and would likely say their truck is the greatest no matter what Toyota does.

Toyota has made some mistakes. They are paying a price. There quality reputation is to a certain extent lost, and it is their own fault. That doesn't mean Toyota doesn't make great trucks, but they are definitely having their fair share of issues now.

And for people suggesting that if someone buys a Ford Ranger they would want their Tocoma back, so what? The Ranger is an ancient design (although I do wish there were still other small trucks available now that everything has gotten bigger including the Tacoma). I wouldn't be surprised if the Ford Ranger was lower maintenance than a Tacoma. It has been selling almost unchanged for more than a decade. They probably have worked out all of the problem areas by now.

12. Feb 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    First new Toyota truck 1989 xtracab 4cylinder, 4x4. A great truck.

Would I buy a 2010, I did with NO regrets. I have owned Toyota trucks since 1989 and have never had an issue that Toyota would not correct asap.

Bought my 2010 and have NO regrets. The media/talking heads are selling newspapers...good news does not sell. Toyota trucks are the best IMHO.

13. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    i just bought a brand new one. TRD, loaded 25900 out the door!

14. Feb 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    well sounds like mr ed went through the ringer. I have never in my life herd of someone having serious problems with a Toyota.

I would buy one in a heart beat, but I like not having a payment right now. Toyota will take care of you on the recalls.

15. Feb 17, 2010 at 1:02 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    The thing about the recalls that bugs me is when Toyota gets the blame for faulty parts that contracted parts manufacturers made. The front shafts for example were made by Dana and not Toyota.

Furthermore Dana supplied the same shafts to Nissan and Ford and both have said they see no safety concern or cause for a recall. So on the shafts I think Toyota is just practicing an abundance of caution. Plus it's only 8000 Tacomas (of which mine is one).

The nice thing about the 2010s is they're unchanged from 2009 ... which means the 2009 model year was successful enough for Toyota to go ahead and give it another year. Car manufacturers don't do that unless what they came up with is very very good.

As for discounts, don't expect to see them on Tacomas. That is one vehicle Toyota doesn't have to discount to sell.

16. Feb 17, 2010 at 2:48 AM
    Got Tacoma

Got Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gila
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl. Cab Sb 4 x 4 Trd
    Undercover Tonneau, Roof Rack, ABR Bumper, Warn 9.5xp, OME 886, Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein 5100 Struts and shocks
    I purchased a 2010 Tacoma DC TRD 4 x 4 in November 2009.
    I have one complaint with the truck.
    The bed is shifted to the passenger side about .75 or greater of an inch.
    At first I thought it was my vehicle only so I went to the dealer and examined all the new double cab Tacoma's and to my surprise they are all shifted to the passenger side.
    I discovered this by putting my hand in between the bed and truck body
    Passenger side = wide gap
    Drivers side = small gap
    The gap differnce is such that you can only fit your fingers half way in the space in the drivers side.
    On the passenger side you can fit your fingers all the way in and then some.
    I asked the dealer service manager and and service rep about this and their reply was I have never heard of this from anyone except you.
    How the heck did you discover it.
    They were trying to make me look like I was strange for discovering it.
    My answer was maybe I'm smarter than the 2 of you or maybe I should get the service managers job.
    I don't mind the recalls. Every vehicle manufacturer has recalls.
    I had the rear spring TSB done dealer was great no hassles.
    I live in Arizona and vehicles here do not rust no matter how badly they are constructed.
    If I lived back east or any of the 22 US states where they use corrosive snow and salt melting chemicals.
    I would not have purchased a Tacoma.
    BTW The Tundra recall involved the 22 US states where they use corrosive snow and salt melting chemicals
    Read the post here from people back east a Tacoma 2 years old with visible flaking frame rust.
    The floor boards do not rust only the frame
    Some Tundra owners on Television with trucks 7 years old were so rusted they risked spring shackles detaching from the body, frame members holding the spare tire in place were so corroded they risked the spare tire dropping from the vehicle while it was moving and possible frame collapse.
    This should not happen on a vehicle even 25 years old.
    General Motors did something similar back around 1977 to 1978.
    If you rode behind one when and it was about 6 months old you saw bright red rust from far away on the differential and suspension links.
    Oldsmobile, Buick, Chevy,etc... had bumpers rust trough form behind in 7 years.
    This occurred because the they stopped using surface galvanization on the metal.
    I didn't see the media giving as much coverage to Ford when their cruise controls were catching cars on fire or when their variable power assist steering was not consistent.
    I guess they figure while we are in a depression let's not let a good crisis go to waste.
    Let's smear that Toyota company.
    In a world where money rules and profit is more important than the product that is produced look for more vehicle manufacturing problems, recalls, tsb's from virtually all vehicle manufacturers.
    Keep on chipping away everything little by little and the next generation will think their cars are great and the life in the USA was always like this.
    Welcome to the race to the bottom.
    But don't worry in the end everything will be OK.

17. Feb 17, 2010 at 2:58 AM
    Got Tacoma

Got Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gila
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl. Cab Sb 4 x 4 Trd
    Undercover Tonneau, Roof Rack, ABR Bumper, Warn 9.5xp, OME 886, Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein 5100 Struts and shocks
    I purchased my 2010 Tacoma DC TRD 4 x 4 in Phoenix, AZ in November 2009 Sticker was $32,258 I paid $28,250. I purchased it through the Costco new vehicle program.
    Give it more time the economy will deteriorate faster and faster as time goes by and they will discount even more.

18. Feb 17, 2010 at 3:44 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Something from a quality Guru, Jim Womack:

Only a month ago I wrote about going beyond Toyota. And in light of the last month's events, I suppose that must seem prescient. But actually it wasn't because I wasn’t writing about Toyota. I was writing about the path ahead for our Lean Community.
    I want to continue that thought process this month, based on your feedback to my request for responses. But first I do feel a need to pay brief attention to the current situation by suggesting that we all keep two points in mind:
    As I said last month: Toyota will be fine. I believe that around the turn of this century the company made a very human error by deciding it wanted to become the biggest auto maker quickly, a goal of no interest to any customer. Then it worked backward to do what it took to rapidly become the biggest, surpassing the "do not exceed" speed that every organization has on its instrument panel.
    By stomping on the gas Toyota briefly lost touch with the core values and rigorous methods that had worked brilliantly for solving customer problems over the preceding 50 years while permitting Toyota to prosper. The result has been some bumps in the road to the future. And there are likely to be further jolts in the near term as every journalist, regulator, legislative committee, and trial lawyer in every country pores over Toyota's product safety performance.
    There's not much to be done about that. But what Toyota can and will do is hansei (critical self reflection) and organizational rework to get back to basics and move on. This requires root cause analysis and testing of countermeasures that will seem agonizingly slow to outside observers. But surely we have learned that quick fixes based on incomplete knowledge with no rigorous testing aren't durable. So let's all be patient. (And, let's hope that government regulation becomes a robust, consistent process as well.)
    Emotional heijunka is really useful in a crisis. It's amazing how the media oscillate effortlessly between over-the-top-praise and outlandish criticism of companies. Toyota wasn't quite as good as many thought and it isn't nearly as bad as some now believe. But within the Lean Community emotional gyrations of this sort are as distracting as the failure to level demand (that is, to practice heijunka) while managing any process. So let's all calm down and get back to work on our own problems in creating lean enterprises while Toyota deals with its problems.

19. Feb 17, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    But UAW built my truck in California?
    And Toyota treats them better than so called domestic employers..

20. Feb 17, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    propulsion

propulsion New Member

Member:
    Where is the source for the release date for the next gen?

Products Discussed in

To Top