Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Possible traction control problem

Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
TeaMan is on a distinguished road
TeaMan's Tacoma Gallery
Possible traction control problem

I have a 10 Tacoma. I live in ND so I'm in snow country. When I get into a snow bank in 4WD, as soon as the wheels start to spin, the truck applies the breaks and since it's a straight stick, it immediately kills the engine. I'm then as you guessed it, in the middle of the snow bank and most likely stuck.

I've talked to other, not necessarily Toyota owners, and they don't think this is normal. Anyone know if it is?

Also, if I'm in 2WD, I can push the traction control button on the left of the steering wheel and disengage it. However in 4WD, it does not want to activate the disengage feature. Again, is this normal?

Last, how can I disengage the traction control when I don't want it to take over and kill my engine and get me stuck?

Any help is appreciated...

TeaMan
Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend disabling TRAC feature while your in the snow. TRAC detects wheel spin and will brake the spinning wheels.

Press the VSC off button once and refer to your owners manual for more detailed instructions.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
TeaMan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Coke, I tried that, I can disable it in 2WD, but it does not disengage in 4WD. This is why I asked if this seems normal. It doesn't seem so to me. If in 2WD and I push the traction control button, I get a red light on my instrument panel telling me it's disabled. In 4WD, no matter how many times I push it or how long I hold it in, it does not disengage. I also found in 2WD, it will turn itself back on sometimes. I understand it will do this after the truck is turned off and restarted, but this is while it's still running, like if I stop and start moving again.

It just doesn't seem like it's working properly.

TeaMan
Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Teaman, Okay I understand what your saying now.

Pressing the VSC off switch once will disable TRAC and VSC (Auto-LSD mode), however, VSC will enable itself automatically at speeds greater than 30mph, and when you cycle the ignition. That is normal.

If your truck is in 4WD-HI and completely stopped. Press and hold the VSC off switch for 5 seconds. That should disable VSC.

VSC is a complex safety system that detects lateral wheel slide. I turn it off whenever I offroad.

If you're unable to disable VSC while in 4WD-HI, then your computer may have a problem.

Strangely enough I had this very issue and took my truck to the dealer sometime last year. Magically, after sitting at the dealer for a few hours the problem went away. They swear they did nothing to it, but I was able to disable VSC in 4WD-HI after I got my truck back. I think they reset the computer in my truck.

Teaman, Here is a link to a thread I started when I had my problem.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
TeaMan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning. I tried holding it in before with no result, but doesn't hurt to try again.

TeaMan
Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Member Me
Wayner275 is on a distinguished road

Wayner275's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Wayner275
Same Issue

I am just north of Tea Man in Saskatchewan. Just had the same experience in heavy snow with my '09 auto dc 4x4. The engine rpm was galloping up and down while the brakes were getting applied.

Curious to see how this turns out as I pressed my VSC button but could not turn off the traction control in 4x4. However, I did not hold it in for 3 seconds while I was in park.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #7

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Wayner, just to be specific and as helpful as possible, while in 4WD-HI you can still disable VSC while the transmission is in drive or park. The vehicle just has to be completely stopped. Press and hold (3-5 seconds) until the "VSC OFF" light illuminates on the dash cluster.

I have also experimented when my truck was having this problem. I would be in 2WD and disable VSC by pressing and holding VSC OFF switch for 3-5 seconds. I would then shift into 4WD and VSC stayed disabled until I cycled the igntion. This bypass method worked for me until the dealer magically fixed my issue as stated in post #4.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Member Me
Wayner275 is on a distinguished road

Wayner275's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Wayner275
Thanks!
I'm going to try that tomorrow (and read my manual in more detail).

thanks again!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
TeaMan's Tacoma Gallery
Works as advertised. I wasn't at a complete stop. It stays disengaged at any speed also, doesn't reengage over 30MPH. I guess I missed the being at a complete stop.

TeaMan
Old 03-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Great!