1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible traction control problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TeaMan, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Feb 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    TeaMan

TeaMan [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 10 Tacoma. I live in ND so I'm in snow country. When I get into a snow bank in 4WD, as soon as the wheels start to spin, the truck applies the breaks and since it's a straight stick, it immediately kills the engine. I'm then as you guessed it, in the middle of the snow bank and most likely stuck.

I've talked to other, not necessarily Toyota owners, and they don't think this is normal. Anyone know if it is?

Also, if I'm in 2WD, I can push the traction control button on the left of the steering wheel and disengage it. However in 4WD, it does not want to activate the disengage feature. Again, is this normal?

Last, how can I disengage the traction control when I don't want it to take over and kill my engine and get me stuck?

Any help is appreciated...

TeaMan

2. Feb 16, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I recommend disabling TRAC feature while your in the snow. TRAC detects wheel spin and will brake the spinning wheels.

Press the VSC off button once and refer to your owners manual for more detailed instructions.

[​IMG]

3. Feb 16, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    TeaMan

TeaMan [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks Coke, I tried that, I can disable it in 2WD, but it does not disengage in 4WD. This is why I asked if this seems normal. It doesn't seem so to me. If in 2WD and I push the traction control button, I get a red light on my instrument panel telling me it's disabled. In 4WD, no matter how many times I push it or how long I hold it in, it does not disengage. I also found in 2WD, it will turn itself back on sometimes. I understand it will do this after the truck is turned off and restarted, but this is while it's still running, like if I stop and start moving again.

It just doesn't seem like it's working properly.

TeaMan

4. Feb 16, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Teaman, Okay I understand what your saying now.

Pressing the VSC off switch once will disable TRAC and VSC (Auto-LSD mode), however, VSC will enable itself automatically at speeds greater than 30mph, and when you cycle the ignition. That is normal.

If your truck is in 4WD-HI and completely stopped. Press and hold the VSC off switch for 5 seconds. That should disable VSC.

VSC is a complex safety system that detects lateral wheel slide. I turn it off whenever I offroad.

If you're unable to disable VSC while in 4WD-HI, then your computer may have a problem.

Strangely enough I had this very issue and took my truck to the dealer sometime last year. Magically, after sitting at the dealer for a few hours the problem went away. They swear they did nothing to it, but I was able to disable VSC in 4WD-HI after I got my truck back. I think they reset the computer in my truck.

Teaman, Here is a link to a thread I started when I had my problem.

5. Feb 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    TeaMan

TeaMan [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning. I tried holding it in before with no result, but doesn't hurt to try again.

TeaMan

6. Feb 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    Wayner275

Wayner275 Member Me

Member:
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Step bars, Weathertech mats, Sirius sat., Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Pop-n-Lock (ditched the PopnLock and went with the Dyno Lock, RedLine hood struts, Cloud-rider Grill insert,
    I am just north of Tea Man in Saskatchewan. Just had the same experience in heavy snow with my '09 auto dc 4x4. The engine rpm was galloping up and down while the brakes were getting applied.

Curious to see how this turns out as I pressed my VSC button but could not turn off the traction control in 4x4. However, I did not hold it in for 3 seconds while I was in park.

7. Feb 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Wayner, just to be specific and as helpful as possible, while in 4WD-HI you can still disable VSC while the transmission is in drive or park. The vehicle just has to be completely stopped. Press and hold (3-5 seconds) until the "VSC OFF" light illuminates on the dash cluster.

I have also experimented when my truck was having this problem. I would be in 2WD and disable VSC by pressing and holding VSC OFF switch for 3-5 seconds. I would then shift into 4WD and VSC stayed disabled until I cycled the igntion. This bypass method worked for me until the dealer magically fixed my issue as stated in post #4.

8. Feb 16, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    Wayner275

Wayner275 Member Me

Member:
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Step bars, Weathertech mats, Sirius sat., Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Pop-n-Lock (ditched the PopnLock and went with the Dyno Lock, RedLine hood struts, Cloud-rider Grill insert,
    Thanks!
    I'm going to try that tomorrow (and read my manual in more detail).

thanks again!

9. Feb 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    TeaMan

TeaMan [OP] Member

Member:
    Works as advertised. I wasn't at a complete stop. It stays disengaged at any speed also, doesn't reengage over 30MPH. I guess I missed the being at a complete stop.

TeaMan

10. Mar 2, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Great!

Products Discussed in

To Top