Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking at an FJ40 - Anything important to check on these rigs?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at an FJ40 - Anything important to check on these rigs?

What do you guys think about the price on this FJ40? I think I'm going to take a look this weekend. Anything important to look for when checking out one of these rigs?

Thanks,

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/1601013124.html
Old 02-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBoy View Post
The new Peterson's Four Wheeler(ing)? magazine (Whichever one has a Jeep buried in the sand on the cover) has a Land Cruiser buyer's guide.
^ Yes it does, and it highlights what to look for with regard to getting hold of replacement parts and engine/transmission quality etc. Nothing too detailed, but it would be a start I'm guessing. Also listed is a summary of average prices for various model years. Very interesting to read. I love the look of the FJ-40.

P.S. - it's the April 2010 issue.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
that fj40 looks pretty good Ive always wanted one of these too good luck.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

Awesome! Thanks guys...

I'm actually in the market for an ATV, but at this price, I may just have to do the FJ40 instead.

I'll grab a copy of that mag, and check out the rig this weekend.

THANKS!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Silver View Post
Awesome! Thanks guys...

I'm actually in the market for an ATV, but at this price, I may just have to do the FJ40 instead.

I'll grab a copy of that mag, and check out the rig this weekend.

THANKS!
What ATV were you looking at? I just bought an '09 Honda Rancher AT (TRX420FA). I love it.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
What ATV were you looking at? I just bought an '09 Honda Rancher AT (TRX420FA). I love it.
Honesty, I know I want a 4x4 utility quad, and that's about it. Does the rancher fit in the back of the short bed ? I've been looking at guy's rigs here making sure if I get something I could put it in the back of the taco if needed....

I was told to stay away from Polaris
Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Silver View Post
Honesty, I know I want a 4x4 utility quad, and that's about it. Does the rancher fit in the back of the short bed ? I've been looking at guy's rigs here making sure if I get something I could put it in the back of the taco if needed....

I was told to stay away from Polaris
I've never owned a Polaris, but I'm told by people I trust that they're problematic. As with any vehicle though, you as the rider must decide.

I don't know about the Rancher in the short box. I have the regular length box and it would fit all the way in if it were not for my toolbox. As it sits now, the rear wheels sit about four inches in from the back of the tailgate, so I tow it on a trailer rather than use my bed. I'm just not comfortable with all that weight on the tailgate. Plus I'd really want to install my Toytec AAL to reduce the squat.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
Not a bad price. Definitely a nice year with front disc brakes and the 4sp tranny.

Don't care for the diamond plate, usually used to hide rust. Any chance of more pics? The most common spots for rust are the rear 1/4's, rear floor, rocker panels, and channel below ambulance doors.

For lots of Land Cruiser info check out IH8MUD.com.

Alan
Old 02-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by musty40 View Post
Not a bad price. Definitely a nice year with front disc brakes and the 4sp tranny.

Don't care for the diamond plate, usually used to hide rust. Any chance of more pics? The most common spots for rust are the rear 1/4's, rear floor, rocker panels, and channel below ambulance doors.

Alan
Thanks! I'm going to view the vehicle Sat. AM. I'll see what the owner says about the diamond plate...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
I assume it has the stock 2F engine?

Post up pics after you look at it.

Alan
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
Thats a good price!!! As with any toyota truck/SUV look for excess rust on the body panels and frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musty40 View Post

Alan
X3. check for corosion....everywhere. the springs/shackles on my dad's '77 prettymuch rusted into oblivion back in the day...but we do live in the rust belt.