1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best way to clean the engine off??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bruce1271, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    bruce1271

bruce1271 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok, I see some pics of used Taco's with a nice and spiffy clean engine. Then I look at my dust bowel and feel "dirty". Anyone wash off/hose off their engine compartment? Mine is mostly dirt/dust, no major grease issues on top. Hose? Cleaner spray?

Too bad i am not back up near my parents, the State Penn inmates will do a super detail for 25 bucks. My dad's F250 looks like new now. ha.

2. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    I hosed my off the other day. Just dont hit the battery or any electronics.. theyre all designed to get wet.. so just dont SOAK them and you're okay. I went to town on it and it came out pretty good. Just used my hardest setting on my garden hose and came out okay..

3. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    just head down to a self-wash place and use the green tire/engine spray, works like magic!

4. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    oo thats a good idea

5. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    bruce1271

bruce1271 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    You guys leave the engine on or off while spraying?

6. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I was paranoid and would spray for a bit.. turn on the engine.. Yup it still works.. turn it off.. spray.. clean.. turn it back on.. okay it still works... ;)

7. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    off for sure

8. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i used a very gentle, low flow from my garden hose. had a bucket with a mild dilution of simple green, and used my soft wheel washing brush to scrub everything down. i took my truck camping in very dusty conditions, and some cute woodland creature decided my engine compartment was a great place to take nuts and twigs to eat...and crap. no issues. i assumed what i was doing was less aggressive than hitting a water puddle at highway speeds. pretty clean now.

9. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
    I know where I'm going after school today. All that offeoadong finnaly caught up with me and my engine bay looks like crap! I'm gonna try copdoctors idea and see if they work!!!

10. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I've always used Gunks Foaming Engine Brite. Just spray on, leave it for 15 minutes, then hose off. Then run engine for 15 minutes to dry. Never a problem doing this and it works great but keep it off the paint because it takes the wax off.

11. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    is there anything we should mask off prior to washing the engine bay?

12. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I've always heard you should avoid getting the alternator wet.

13. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    anything with wires. Just dont spray it directly and you'll be fine.

14. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    everything in the engine bay can get wet... however any frayed wires will short... also if you use a pressure washer try to avoid long term spray on any connectors or wires to avoid blasting them open, other than that you are good. You can blast the shit out of the battery and nothing will happen unless it is broken open... avoid the lights too

15. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    have you used the engine brite junk before? I jsut sprayed with a hose and got pretty good results.. but since ive never taken a hose to an engine compartment... just kinda nervous bout goin to town myself.

16. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    I need to clean mine bad. It has a solid layer of mud/dirt etc. I was just thinking about taking it somewhere to be detailed professionally. I don't feel like trying to get into all those small, hard to reach places to really get it clean like I want it to be. I just don't know how much a good engine detail would cost.

17. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    I always use simple-green. On a cold engine, spray everything down with the simple-green then rinse with the hose but not too hard. Then towel off the engine compartment and hood, fenders, etc a bit then start it up to dry the rest with engine heat.
    I've never had any starting or other problems at all.

18. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    not on the tacoma... but on my previous car and it was fine, I blasted it off with the pressure washer at the car wash.

If you're nervous go slow... remember your entire engine gets wet during drives in rain storms... just be careful on wires and connector

you don't need to dry it either the heat from the engine will dry it quick... but start with a cold engine

19. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i'm sure everyone knows that the engine compart gets wet when you drive in the rain,

20. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    Nowhereman04

Nowhereman04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tar Hill Blue NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 04 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    Bilstein 5100's front, Bilstein 5125's rear
    the green tire/engine gunk at the car wash is what i've always used. and it works great. if you use it once every couple months, it keeps your engine and bay looking clean and new.;)

Products Discussed in

To Top