1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clogged Cat? Bad gas mileage?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spencer_hong, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Feb 17, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    I have an 07 DCab Pre-Runner TRD Sport.. 28,000 miles on it, K&N 63 Series Air Intake.. I get 13 mpg. I live in a really hilly area and I'm always going up and down hill (Palos Verdes, California) but I feel like my gas mileage is terrible. Someone thought it might be a clogged cat.. anyone have any thoughts? How would I check for a clogged cat? Thanks alot guys

2. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    Timber

Timber Crankey Old Yacht Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    just a couple comfort items.
    In my experience when they start plugging up they make a nasty rotten egg smell and start making a different sounding exhaust.
    With your mileage I doubt that's the problem. If your driving stop and go in those hills. Crenshaw and Hawthorne and so on, your mileage will suffer about like what you describe. I am sure I am heavier than you are but that is about what I get in the hills. However I just got a whopping 17.7 to and from San Diego. That is great mileage for me.

3. Feb 17, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    Clogged cat would feel like you have no power. Last car that I had with a clogged cat wouldnt rev past 3k.

Products Discussed in

To Top