1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warranty Killing Road Trip

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Okkine, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    hahaha Not in his truck! Maybe Chili's though. Then you can go flirt with your waitress again ;)

2. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    That's a LOT :censored:ing driving

3. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    Okkine

Okkine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    That sounds like an inside joke to me :confused:

4. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    Okkine

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    It's also alot of not being at WORK :brianr:

5. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    You can be inside if our head our way!

6. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    :rofl: But that depends upon how long he spends with Boo boo on the first leg in Jellystone! :)

7. Feb 17, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    LoHoNas

LoHoNas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Jackson TX.
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC TRDSPORT MGM
    Debadged, Fog light mod,Grillcraft, Icons,TC UCA's, OME dakar leaf pack,Procomp 7089,BFG KM2 285/70/17 JVC NAV
    I have noticed that there are many travelers that pass through Texas in search of a town of the same name as there hometown. A little word of caution would be that these "towns" are not exactly replicas. I have seen towns with no intersections, just a caution light in the middle of nowhere.
    However in your case, I have been to Calgary TX. Its a nice place.

8. Feb 17, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    LoHoNas

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Jackson TX.
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC TRDSPORT MGM
    Debadged, Fog light mod,Grillcraft, Icons,TC UCA's, OME dakar leaf pack,Procomp 7089,BFG KM2 285/70/17 JVC NAV
    uh......wait. I was thinking of a different town. Yeah I would not spend much time in Calgary TX. There's nothing across the street from nothing.

9. Feb 17, 2010 at 11:39 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    I live in cali and i looked at your map on the route, and trust me you do not want to take the interstate 5 route. It's mostly a 4 lane 2x2 all the way from San Francisco to LA. Take the HW 1/ HW 101 all the way down do Paso Robles and then cut across the state. The pacific coast is beautiful and you'll enjoy the scenic route from San Francisco to Paso Robles. Also look up Big Sur. You should invest in a camper and scanguage. With a camper you can also set up a rig to sleep in, incase you don't want to set up a tent.

10. Feb 18, 2010 at 12:18 AM
    Okkine

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Hmm... You're right. Best reference I could find says it's nothing more than a railway switch with a sign that says "Calgary"....

I looked at the map last year some time, and it showed it as an actual town (possibly San Augustine).... Could have been an error that has since been corrected

Thanks for that info :thumbsup: I've been wanting to avoid the interstates whenever possible, and that was one area that I was a little concerned about, but didn't know of an alternate route (the map is still in it's rough version). I'm wondering if it might be worth it to spend a night in Paso Roble, or Cambria so we can enjoy a morning drive up the coast, and hit San Francisco by mid afternoon. That way we're not hitting the most beautiful part when it's getting dark, and we're getting tired from driving all day.

11. Feb 18, 2010 at 12:38 AM
    spatchley

spatchley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Uijeongbu, South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad V6 4wd 6spd AC
    Katzkin 2 tone leather interior, TRD Shortshifter, Kenwood 6960, Cascade Audio sound deadening, 2 JL 10W3's in a custom enclosure
    That sounds like an awesome trip. While you are driving through Oregon you should stop and get some clam chowder at Mo's. There are several of them on the coast and they serve the best chowder I have ever had

12. Feb 18, 2010 at 1:20 AM
    LoHoNas

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Jackson TX.
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC TRDSPORT MGM
    I would say millions of people dream about doing this but never get the chance. I don't want to make big Tex sound bad....you could spend a lot of time just in the major cities alone. There's also every landscape and terrain you can think of down here, from the beaches of South Padre Island, to the canyons of Big Bend, swamps in the east, cotton fields as far as you can see in the panhandle. I think people never realize how big the cities are here. Houston is #4 in the nation, and Dallas/fortworth is just as big. You should Goggle New Braunfels TX. You would love it there.

13. Feb 18, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    goingcamping

goingcamping Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Custom body work...boat trailer came of hitch, hit tailgate and Rammed stick thru lower valance while towing boat....hmmm, Maybe I should get a new boat?!?
    A little something to whet your whistle...
    A good friend of mine works for NASA and he sent me this photo a few days ago, it's a pretty cool pick of the last space shuttle launch taken by a friend of his. Yes, he is a rocket scientist.
    image001_946883fa3be1b226e0208d4556c86180c1fb9352.jpg

14. Feb 18, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    :taco: taco road trip :taco:

15. Feb 18, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    I say if you have the resources and time, do it, because it will be something to look back on and say "I did that" the thought of a road trip right now to ANYWHERE is very appealing. Good luck, keep us updated in this thread. :)

16. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Looks like fun!

I wonder though, why not rent a truck and let that thing take the miles and abuse?

Just a thought.

Haven't seen your itinerary, just caught some of the threads:
    For your drive up PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy, aka CA route 1), if you decide to take it, catch it up past Santa Barbara. If you're coming from the LA area, take 101 north then cut over once you pass SB to catch PCH. Then take it north through about San Jose. Yes, Cambria is great! Quaint little town, probably best for just meals or something of that sort. I think there's a nearby campground a few miles up the road. There's also Hearst Castle, built by the Hearst family of late 1800's newspaper fame. There's also a marked turnout where walruses come every year to mate, so you might catch that - the lounging most likely, not the actual fornication.

If you're passing SB though, that's prime wine country if you're into that stuff. I've taken that route at least 3 times, so ask if you have questions. I've also done 5 up into Canada, though admittedly I spelt a good portion of it (came off college finals, family road trip)

17. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    sorry not really related to your taco question, and I haven't read the other replies, but

I have friends that tried over 4 or 5 times to see the space shuttle launch. Every time it was delayed.

So unless you can camp there forever until it actually launches, good luck on seeing it for real :/

18. Feb 18, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Thats an AWESOME pic!

Its hit or miss. First time I tried, they launched right on time.

19. Feb 18, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    novakills

novakills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, debadged, TRD exhaust, bed d-ring mod, rubber bed mat, 6000K Bi-xenon headlights, 3000K HID foglights, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts, 2" Toytec AAL w/Bilstein 5100s, 1" aluminum tapered leaf spring spacer, Eibach 1.6" lift coils on Bilstein 5100s set at .85 with Light Racing UCAs, 10% tinted windows, 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T, Pioneer MVH-X560BT,TRD Supercharger, Grillcraft Black MX upper and lower grill, RAAMmat Sound Deadening, Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Series I61-2 in rear doors, Hybrid Audio Technolgies Legatia L6 and L1V2 in front doors running through Hybrid Audio Legatia L2X crossovers, JL Audio 13TW5 in a bedlined Mr. Marv enclosure, Zed Audio Leviathan Amp on a bedlined Mr. Marv amp rack, DTLT Exhaust Headers w/O2 simulators, full LED lighting interior and exterior, OEM roof racks
    I have witnessed many Shuttle launches and they are SPECTACULAR. Word of advice get to Cape Canaveral early, have reservations well in advance, and plan on staying for at least 6 hours after the launch. Traffic coming in from all directions on launch day is rediculous, there will be no vacancies within 75 miles of the launch site a week prior and a week after launch, and I have sat in traffic for hours leaving immediately after a launch (two lane roads, only so many ways to get out to Canaveral/Cocoa Beach, and toll booths really snarl things).

I can help out if you need to know things to do and where to stay in Florida or Nashville. I grew up and lived in Nashville for 32 years and travelled to Florida all my life living here full-time for three years. Also, I would meet up with you if you're here on the weekend since my wedding and honeymoon a couple weeks prior to your visit will eat my available time off.

Good luck. Enjoy the planning and the execution of your journey.

20. Feb 18, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    Okkine

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Yea, I'm planning for a week in Florida, just in case they delay the launch by a couple days, which is often the case. From the launches I've been keeping track of, most are delayed by a few days at most, and it's not too too often that they're delayed by more than a week.... In the end it's not going to be the end of the world if we don't see it (though still disappointing), since the rest of the trip will be amazing.

Can you recommend the better places to watch the launch? I see that you can buy tickets to watch from the visitors center, but that there's also a number of good viewing areas around perimeter of the complex. Are you actually allowed to camp out around the viewing areas?

Products Discussed in

To Top