LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Non OEM bug deflectors -What's Best?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Non OEM bug deflectors -What's Best?

I tried searching but found a lot of older information, etc. There's sooooooo many brands & types out there and I'm somewhat confused what to get.

I don't want an OEM Toyota one.

I should've bought something last year when I was looking but didn't really think I needed one until now. It's really depressing after spraying my truck off of the salt/road grime from winter....discovering 3 sizely chips on the front edge of my hood down to the primer. My 2nd set of chips in the front edge of the hood....time for a bug deflector.

For what its worth, I had a Lund on my 96 and that thing was great. Mounted to the underside of the hood and didn't come in contact with anything other than the mounted points. That's what I'm looking for....virtually no contact with the hood.

I don't need to know WHERE to buy from - as I have a buddy who works at a truck accessories shop and I'll buy it from him once I decide what I want (and hope he can get it).

Thanks ahead of time!!
Let me know what you got and picts would be great!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
I love my weathertech...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I like my ERG. Solid and only attaches underneath the hood. Doesn't touch the paint at all except at the bolt holes.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
wmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nice
wmb67's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
For what its worth, I had a Lund on my 96 and that thing was great. Mounted to the underside of the hood and didn't come in contact with anything other than the mounted points. That's what I'm looking for....virtually no contact with the hood.
I purchased from Weathertech. Mounts underhood into factory holes. Deflector does not touch the hood or the leading edge of the hood at all.

I don't remember the cost, but I do remember thinking it was a bit high (I also thought the floor liners were high priced). But since purchasing the deflector, floor liners and window vents, I've realized these are "you get what you pay for products".

I don't want to sound like a schill for Weathertech... but their products have been high quality, good fitting and easy to install. Thumbs up for their stuff.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Lund Avenger on mine, but took it off after 1 year. Just wanted a different look.

I did like the way it mounted right to the underside of the hood using the factory mounting holes. No extension brackets like a lot of them. It was a very clean look.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
jay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shedjay_shy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jay_shy's Tacoma Gallery
I have a stampede one that is clear. It also mounts under the hood and does not touch the paint.

Jason
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I love my clear AVS bug guard. I got it from summit racing!!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I know you said not OEM, but i'm taking mine off if my hoods not f-d up from the mounts & Ill give it to you. The grass is always greener on the other side. I want mine off so I can stop the chips in my windshield + the dents in my A pillars that are down to bare metal. I have friends in Lancaster & get out there every other month.
Thanks for the offer but I'm not totally sure what I want to do yet.

I'm also thinking about looking to see how much it would cost to have one painted to match my truck..... I might have to play around with photoshop to see how that would actually look before I decide.

Thanks to everyone else for the manufacturer names! I'll be looking at them closely!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:33 AM   #10
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
I got an AVS high profile. Attaches at predrilled holes, and does not touch the top surface of the hood. Solid!