Notices

Looking for some good ideas...

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
guitarcrzy21 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 2nd AA BN
Name: Ben
guitarcrzy21's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for some good ideas...

Hey I've had my 2006 taco prerunner for just over 2 years. Its a five speed 4 cylinder 2.7L and i love it. I'm at that point where I want to start toying around with it and improve a few things. Primarily gas mileage considering I drive over 80 miles a day. On a lesser note I would like to improve midrange torque because it would be nice to have a bit more pull when I hit it hard. Any ideas are welcome though I would appreciate a price range around $500. I have heard that increasing the voltage pushed through the spark plugs helps this. Any truth there?
Thanks guys!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I guess you could re-gear your diff. to give it more torque. But this may give you less MPG's, and I'm not sure how much that would cost. My guess is it would cost more than $500 if you had someone else do it.

You could put a supercharger on, but that is way more than $500. You could also try a cold air intake, will help in the HP department and will give better MPG's.

Sorry I wasn't that helpful, but could point you in the right direction. And welcome to TW!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
CAI won't improve gas mileage. Better or cooler airflow means more gas not less because the computer matches air intake with fuel. Marginally improved power and different sound but not better gas mileage.

http://fuelsaving.info/power_economy.htm
Old 02-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarcrzy21 View Post
Hey I've had my 2006 taco prerunner for just over 2 years. Its a five speed 4 cylinder 2.7L and i love it. I'm at that point where I want to start toying around with it and improve a few things. Primarily gas mileage considering I drive over 80 miles a day. On a lesser note I would like to improve midrange torque because it would be nice to have a bit more pull when I hit it hard. Any ideas are welcome though I would appreciate a price range around $500. I have heard that increasing the voltage pushed through the spark plugs helps this. Any truth there?
Thanks guys!!!
Probably the best thing you can do to improve gas mileage is buy a gauge that tells you how much fuel you're burning (e.g. Scangauge or Aeroforce Interceptor gauge) and adjust your driving habits accordingly.