Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

topper camper shell cap locks freezing up

Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
topper camper shell cap locks freezing up

I am sick of the locks on my cap always freezing up. I have tried my best to keep them lubed and use the lock deicer too. Leaving them unlocked is not an option. I have searched online and on here and have yet to find anyone who has installed a DIY electric lock solution. I found this on e-bay and seems a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400103262044&crlp=1_26 3602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=46638 60111b0a0435981ab01fffa9aed&rvr_id=&ua=WXI7&itemid =400103262044

I have the dual handles so I would need an extra actuator or fab up some sort of bars connecting the two. I am not concerned about the wiring as much as the fab work and best way to make it work, and work well. I also can't have the system failing on me. One reason why I don't like the above remote and would feel better with a hard wired switch inside the cab. Just wondering if anyone has done it or have some good ideas on how to do it. Thanks as always for everyones input, this is a great sight with some great people!!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
ksj is on a distinguished road
ksj's Tacoma Gallery
I had a problem with mine freezing. Now I use a dry teflon lubricant for bicycle chains that works great. I just give everything a squirt every 3 months or so. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksj View Post
I had a problem with mine freezing. Now I use a dry teflon lubricant for bicycle chains that works great. I just give everything a squirt every 3 months or so. Haven't had a problem since.
Actually I did try the exact same thing last time I lubed them, and still frozen. And I mean by ice not corrosion.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
ksj is on a distinguished road
ksj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OldManTan" View Post
Actually I did try the exact same thing last time I lubed them, and still frozen. And I mean by ice not corrosion.
Bummer. Last year we got alot of freezing rain and teens to low-20's weather and I didn't have any issues at all with the dry teflon (Finish Line).