LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Motorcycle Ramps

Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Crazy
DdayIsNear's Tacoma Gallery
Motorcycle Ramps

How do you guys with motorcycles get your bikes into the truck, is it a one man job, push it in, ride it in? i have no clue, also, how do you tie it down, and please include pics of said action of loading into the truck, or ramp pcitures or whatever. i dotn know anything about this so my knowledge is 0
Old 02-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
MStef66 will become famous soon enoughMStef66 will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
MStef66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdayIsNear View Post
How do you guys with motorcycles get your bikes into the truck, is it a one man job, push it in, ride it in? i have no clue, also, how do you tie it down, and please include pics of said action of loading into the truck, or ramp pcitures or whatever. i dotn know anything about this so my knowledge is 0
I am always loading my bike sole. You have to get creative sometimes and be patient. On the truck I simply put a step stool next to the ramp and run it up. Never ride it up unless you have a full width ramp. At home I back up to a small hill to make it easier.

On my trailer I make sure I have all my straps and tie-downs in position and ready. I roll the bike in and hook one strap to the front triple and adjust it to hold the bike as it leans away from it. This holds it up so I can set the next strap. This is on my open trailer with no flat bed on it, only rails. On my flat bed trailer I simply put it on the side stand.

Some people only rely on 2 straps up front. I always use 4 on every bike I haul. 2 up front for stability and 2 in back to make it solid. I always use ratchet straps, I have had too many friction straps come loose. Be careful relying on the open hook on the strap. If the suspension isn't tight enough, a bump can cause the hook to come out of the mounting point. Ask me how I know.

Sorry, no pictures.

BTW, what kind of bike are you hauling? I have hauled both dirt bikes and sport bikes.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
Just as MStef, I'll use a step tool-box next to my ramp.

I use the engines power to push the bike up the ramp into the bed. I just clutch it up, step on the tool box and then onto the tailgate.

When the bike is in the bed, I put it on the kickstand, then start strapping it down. Ratchet straps on the front, attached to the new bed d-rings. Then strap the back to the other 2 d-rings for stability. I've driven with just the front of the bike strapped, and it worked, but for peace of mind, I prefer to strap the rear also.

One piece of advice, tie your ramp to the truck. You don't want it slipping out on you!

To dismount the bike, I do the same, but with the engine off, and bike in gear, I use the front brake and clutch to control the bike coming down off the truck bed.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
No way, get real
silvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud of

silvertaco82's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a set of the fold out ramps you should be fine by yourself. i see you have a crotch rocket but with my dirt bike i just ride it up, if you dont want to do that then just push with running start and have your hand on the front brake
Old 02-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i have 2- 8ft folding ramps i use.i walk up 1 ramp and throttle the bike up the other ramp.ramps are straped so they dont slip.by not being on the bike it would be easier to bail incase of an opps.sorry no pics
Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 AM   #7
lowzone has a spectacular aura aboutlowzone has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ron
lowzone's Tacoma Gallery
i have a triple folding ramp (side by side folding) from Harbor Freight, it folds out and straps to the tailgate supports. very nice product for under 100.00 on sale. i have had my quad up it, rode up, and used it to put my Honda Shadow into the back of my lifted Isuzu pickup (6') bed. As said, its not easy but can be done with one person. I walked up the side with the bike running and throttled up the ramp. ITS SCARY the first time. Try walking the bike on flat ground like that and then try the ramps. Most motorcycle shops sell soft straps, they are basically loops for the ends of the ratchet straps that can go around the triples or the handle bars. DONT COMPRESS your suspension too much, just enough to allow the straps to hold the bike well. You can damage the front shock valving and seals if you pull the bike down all the way. Hit a bump and its bottomed out, not a good combo. I put a third strap thru the rear rim to prevent the back from hopping around. Again, sorry no pics. on longer bikes you can use a 2x10 or equivalent to go from the truck bed over the tailgate so the weight of the bike isnt on your gate. just make sure the rear tire is on the board and strap it down to it as well....hope that helps. ive had a GXSR 600R, SV650, Shadow 750 and a 400ex quad in the bed, Road Kings DONT fit...
Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Purchase a Canyon Dancer and a couple of ratchet straps to secure in the truck. Add some D rings to the front of the bed and don't use the weak tie down rail system. You'll want to cinch the bike down tight enough that a bump in the road won't compress the suspension enough to pop the strap off, but cinching it down too tight will result in blown fork seals. I usually cinch it down maybe 50-60% of total front suspensions travel - you'll have to judge this for yourself as almost every bike is different. You might also want to put a 2' x 2' section of plywood against the front of the bed wall where your tire will rest against it. I don't trust the composite bed but that is just me. Two regular cam buckle type straps can be used for the rear, hooking on the swing arm / passenger pegs etc and using the rear factory D rings on the bed floor. I usually drive the bike in straight, place on kickstand and cinch down the front end. Once the front end is done, swing the rear end all the way to one side so you can close the tail gate. Proceed to tie down the rear and double check the front. Triple check the front after driving for 5-10 mins to see if anything loosened up.

The power-sports dealers around here have a permanent ramp built on their property for loading/unloading quads, bikes, snowmobiles for servicing. Its only a 5 min drive from home so I usually head there on the bike and the Mrs. will meet me there in the Tacoma.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i dont use ratchet straps. i bought some high quality straps that you pull down tight and lock down. i can compress my shocks with them they have "soft ends" (loops) so no hard hooks touch the bike. ratchet straps are too annoying to go from one side to another, to ratchet down. besides you dont need that kind of tightness on a bike strap. i bought an official curved alum bike ramp. best purchase ever. i can run a sport bike up it solo.

hook straps to truck and drap them over the rails. set ramp, run bike in, nose first. sit on bike, grab straps, tie in and yank one at a time until i get the suspension to compress a bit. very secure.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Crazy
DdayIsNear's Tacoma Gallery
is that your blue 650r. thats what i ride, and for the price, a grrrreat bike. love rthe parallel twin and the sound it makes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortech View Post
Purchase a Canyon Dancer and a couple of ratchet straps to secure in the truck. Add some D rings to the front of the bed and don't use the weak tie down rail system. You'll want to cinch the bike down tight enough that a bump in the road won't compress the suspension enough to pop the strap off, but cinching it down too tight will result in blown fork seals. I usually cinch it down maybe 50-60% of total front suspensions travel - you'll have to judge this for yourself as almost every bike is different. You might also want to put a 2' x 2' section of plywood against the front of the bed wall where your tire will rest against it. I don't trust the composite bed but that is just me. Two regular cam buckle type straps can be used for the rear, hooking on the swing arm / passenger pegs etc and using the rear factory D rings on the bed floor. I usually drive the bike in straight, place on kickstand and cinch down the front end. Once the front end is done, swing the rear end all the way to one side so you can close the tail gate. Proceed to tie down the rear and double check the front. Triple check the front after driving for 5-10 mins to see if anything loosened up.

The power-sports dealers around here have a permanent ramp built on their property for loading/unloading quads, bikes, snowmobiles for servicing. Its only a 5 min drive from home so I usually head there on the bike and the Mrs. will meet me there in the Tacoma.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #11
Avman2119 is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
Avman2119's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 09 650R and I agree, it's a great bike. How much is it for the bar harness and where is the best place to get one?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdayIsNear View Post
is that your blue 650r. thats what i ride, and for the price, a grrrreat bike. love rthe parallel twin and the sound it makes
Neither of the bikes in the first post are mine, that's just a few pics I googled to aid with what I was explaining.

My 2006 CBR 600RR
I have a few mods done since this pic, such as a Corbin seat, rear seat cowl, and fabbed up a way to install the CBR 1000RR Integrated signal mirrors to fit the 600RR. Have since bought a new Arai RX7 lid also.

I bought the CBR when it was 2 years old off my buddy who purchased it new. I went out of town for business after purchasing it and when I got home the Mrs had an '08 Ninja 500 in the garage next to it and wanted to learn how to ride and get her license also. I have since done some work to the Kawi as well such as smaller signals, chopped off the ugly rear under-tail fender, and added weighted bar ends and sliders to protect the paint should she drop it.

Neither bike has been outside since September since the winter season struck early around here. We're heading to Florida next week for 12 days and its going to be tough to watch any cycles drive by. I was however contemplating renting a Harley for a day when we get over to Clearwater from Orlando. Either that or an afternoon cruising the beach front on scooter.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #13
z33tec is on a distinguished road

z33tec's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 08 Ninja 650. Never loaded my bike in my truck but have loaded other sportbikes. Since it has been other people's bikes, they are also there with me so I have never done it alone. We usually just use 2 people and walk the bike up.

I like the folding ramps that have straps with hooks that you can attach to the tailgate latches so that the ramp doesn't slip out from under you. I wouldn't feel safe using a ramp that didn't have those (although I have on other, lower trucks.)

I use ratchet tie downs with the soft loops that go over the handlebars. I attach them to the bed rail cleats. Some people say they don't trust them but I've never had an issue with them and they feel sturdy to me. I don't have a fully dressed 900lb harley though so who knows. The 2 straps up front do most of the holding but you can throw some on the back for good measure.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #14
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
For my dirt bike i always used two 2"x12"s, and ran it up the boards. I used a block of wood between the front tire, and under the front fender to eliminate flexing , and to not hurt the springs when i would ratchet it down.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
MStef66 will become famous soon enoughMStef66 will become famous soon enough
MStef66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avman2119 View Post
I have a 09 650R and I agree, it's a great bike. How much is it for the bar harness and where is the best place to get one?
Take care in using the Canyon Dancers. I have seen them destroy the grips and break throttle assemblies. Be sure they pull not twist.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #16

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStef66 View Post
Take care in using the Canyon Dancers. I have seen them destroy the grips and break throttle assemblies. Be sure they pull not twist.
Good word of advice, thanks.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
WVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
WVtriple's Tacoma Gallery
Plus one on taking care to watch the canyon dancers, they chewed up the switch gear on my Aprilia. I usually have a trailer to use, BUT it is snowed in behind the shed, so this will be my first foray into loading a bike up in the back of the truck, my Triumph will be getting new RaceTech springs and gold valve kit up front with a Olins in the rear, Will try to get pics of this adventure but I'm not scheduled to drop off in the shop until next Friday.
Oh yeah heres pics of mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle Ramps-dsc00258.jpg   Motorcycle Ramps-dsc01968.jpg  
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #18
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
One thing I don't think anybody else has said yet, make sure you don't fully compress your suspension. Tension it down to about a 1/4 or 1/2 of the suspension, if you fully compress it you could damage the bike on a bumpy road. Also, if you have a center stand DON'T use it when trailering.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
cjh is on a distinguished road
cjh's Tacoma Gallery
Spend the extra cash on good tie-downs. The only brand I actually trust is Ancra. If you have a $10 bike then get $10 tiedowns. For what bikes cost it is worth it to spend $40 to keep your bike in the back of your truck instead of having a cheap set of tie downs slip and watch as your baby falls over and smashes something on one of your bed rails. As far as ramps go, I have had good luck with the steel harbor freight ramps. I think they have like 800# capacity per ramp. Unless you are loading a goldwing no worries there. Riding your bike up the ramp is like playing the lottery, sometimes you might win, but most times you loose. One little error can eliminate the back window of your truck. If you are having trouble pushing it up yourself, get help and be safe. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #20
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend Canyon Dancers. I've driven two or three thousand miles with them securing my bike and have never had a problem.

As far as getting a bike ramp, some Home Depot stores have a kit that easily turns a 10' long 12" wide pressure-treated joist into a ramp once it's attached. The kit looks very similar to THIS. This is what I've been using for about a year now.