Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Got Snowmobile?? With Tacoma??

Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Got Snowmobile?? With Tacoma??

Since it is winter in many parts of the world, post a few pics of your sled and/or your sled with your Tacoma.

To eliminate buckling of the tailgate I fabbed up a little false floor platform that enables you to store some loading ramps underneath. A trailer doesn't really fit my needs as I live on a very large hill and backing it into the driveway after a run would be nearly impossible.

My 2005 TRD Off Road has the leaf TSB done in addition to some Firestone air bags installed in the rear. 5100's up front set at 1.75". I only inflate the bags to 35 psi or so even with the weight of the platform and sled in the back. Bags are rated at 100 psi max so lots of leeway left. The bags are well worth the money and prevents that sagged out look while running lots of weight in the rear. No problems to level to stock height or a height to complement the 5100's up front.

Pics show my winter steelies as well as the smaller 245/75/16 ice radials I use in winter. Color keyed grill also removed to avoid rock chipping from heavily sanded roads.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
deadphish28 is a jewel in the roughdeadphish28 is a jewel in the roughdeadphish28 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tim
deadphish28's Tacoma Gallery
thats a sick sled and set up man.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Nice homemade setup.

My days of wrestling the sled in the old Ranger's bed are over, esp w/ a 5ft deck. I take the easy route now.

Also hard to see, but had 700 lbs of wood in the bed in this pic too. TSB essential. And of course, snow tires.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Wow with your sled in the back its not sagging at all. Looks good!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
That is a great deck, I have not seen one like that in a Tacoma, but have watched a few put em up on the sled decks that sit on the bed rails. Hats off to all that ride it loading it up there.
I also swap out my tire setup with a set of studded tires for more traction for winter towing, great idea on swapping out the grill too, for I am going to have a color-matched done this spring so I guess I will keep my chrome grill.
My setup is all aluminum tilt enclosed, it tows nice but likes to eat up my gas with so much drag. It does provide nice summer storage tho. We are heading up to camp again tomorrow, cannot wait!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
The thing I don't like about the sled decks over the rails is that the center of gravity of the truck is increased dramatically. Even raising my sled up 8-10 inches level with the wheel wells makes a HUGE difference when cornering. I see sled decks on lots of half tons but wouldn't try it myself on anything less than a 3/4 ton.

Love the yard - especially all the trees. What species are the larger/taller ones?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortech View Post
The thing I don't like about the sled decks over the rails is that the center of gravity of the truck is increased dramatically. Even raising my sled up 8-10 inches level with the wheel wells makes a HUGE difference when cornering. I see sled decks on lots of half tons but wouldn't try it myself on anything less than a 3/4 ton.

Love the yard - especially all the trees. What species are the larger/taller ones?
Thank you, one of the reasons I liked the yard was it was flat & surrounded by healthy trees, maple and oak. My neighbor is a fellow sledder & owns a tree company who pruned them up high for me I do get lots of leaves in the fall though ....
I love the looks of your sled, I have always wanted an orange sno pro F5...but Chris sells Polaris so I drive Polaris....
Old 02-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
mach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
mach1man001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
That is a great deck, I have not seen one like that in a Tacoma, but have watched a few put em up on the sled decks that sit on the bed rails. Hats off to all that ride it loading it up there.
I also swap out my tire setup with a set of studded tires for more traction for winter towing, great idea on swapping out the grill too, for I am going to have a color-matched done this spring so I guess I will keep my chrome grill.
My setup is all aluminum tilt enclosed, it tows nice but likes to eat up my gas with so much drag. It does provide nice summer storage tho. We are heading up to camp again tomorrow, cannot wait!

What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your set-up?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin good all
Old 02-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
Wag More Bark Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1man001 View Post
What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your set-up?
It averages around 11-12 on mostly secondary hilly roads & minimal highway/flats...because of the elevation, OD is off. Also a lot of the time it is in 4WD. It tows great though fwiw.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #12
Nukewater is a glorious beacon of lightNukewater is a glorious beacon of lightNukewater is a glorious beacon of lightNukewater is a glorious beacon of lightNukewater is a glorious beacon of lightNukewater is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Adam
Nukewater's Tacoma Gallery
niiiice!

Attached Thumbnails
Got Snowmobile?? With Tacoma??-1-ramp-down-.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
Bristow.907 is on a distinguished road
Bristow.907's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but how in the hell did you manage to bolt that down to your truck? I just bought a tacoma and need something like this to haul my sled around, cant seem to figure out how I'd bolt the ramp down into the truck.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristow.907 View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but how in the hell did you manage to bolt that down to your truck? I just bought a tacoma and need something like this to haul my sled around, cant seem to figure out how I'd bolt the ramp down into the truck.
If you do the " Add D ring mod " you can secure the ramp and deck at the front of the bed .

Not sure if this is how Fortech did it though

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-bed-pics.html
Old 05-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
If you do the " Add D ring mod " you can secure the ramp and deck at the front of the bed .

Not sure if this is how Fortech did it though

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-bed-pics.html
Awesome, very helpful, Thanks :bc:
Old 05-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #16

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
To keep the platform from falling out of the truck, I have a couple of eye bolts attached to the rear so I can tie it into the truck (note yellow rope).

If you are worried about the front of the platform popping up while you are climbing the ramp, I've never had a problem. If it would make you feel better however, I mounted a piece of 2x4 vertically at the front of the ramp. On the top of the 2x4 I cut a notch in the shape of a V. If the 2x4 is the same height (or higher) than your front tie down points, you can run a strap from one side of the bed to the other, passing through the notch in the 2x4. This will keep it from popping up. Kinda hard to see and I wish I had a better pic, but you can kinda see the 2x4 in the front of the bed of the below pic. That's the setup I used in my previous '98 Tacoma.

As for next year, saving my pennies for:

Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #17
I love that ramp set up a lot. Cat has some nice sleds this year, although if I were to buy cat, I'd buy that snopro 5 and throw a 720 D&D big bore into it, clutch and gear it, or buy an 09 600 mod. I think my mod fusion is about 52" ski tip to ski tip so I should be alright after putting in this ramp deck.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think my Skandic would fit in my Tacoma it's 11 1/2 feet long.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have pics since I got the truck after sledding season, but the skis of my 98 Summit 583 fit right between the wheel wells no problem. No platform or anything else needed. Still lots of room for gas cans etc.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #20
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
sorry no pic with truck cuz its to high to load sled or tow the trailer

but here she is...... 97 670 (running about 705 cc's) a few mods but she look great and is pretty fast ( 65 at half throtle) and will cruze in 4 ft of powder.......

oh and its for sale(looking for 2000-2003 skidoo summit 800 to mod out) heres the website http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...509128&cat=146