Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My truck is Timberland Mica??

Old 02-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is Timberland Mica??

Until I washed it yesterday I thought it was a new color called salt gray. This cycle of changing colors will probably repeat about a dozen more times as the massive piles of snow here melt over the next month or so... or even longer if we get more. :-(
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
bluecluee is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
bluecluee's Tacoma Gallery
It's been a rough Maryland winter. I feel ya.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
i hate whenit snows here in md. they put WAY
to much salt on the road.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i hate whenit snows here in md. they put WAY
to much salt on the road.
Thank god up here in the Pac NW they have determined salt to be too hazardous to the environment. So we get sand. Fun.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Thank god up here in the Pac NW they have determined salt to be too hazardous to the environment. So we get sand. Fun.
The use of salt also has much to do with the temperature. If it get's below 18 degrees, the salt doesn't work.

That's probably why you get sand instead of salt.......
Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The use of salt also has much to do with the temperature. If it get's below 18 degrees, the salt doesn't work.

That's probably why you get sand instead of salt.......
Unfortunately, it's the environment and how the runoff affects the salmon runs. It usually doesn't get very cold here. Believe me, I would be fine with the use of salt on the roads. Sand does very little. At least they could use a sand/salt mix it would be a lot better.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Unfortunately, it's the environment and how the runoff affects the salmon runs. It usually doesn't get very cold here. Believe me, I would be fine with the use of salt on the roads. Sand does very little. At least they could use a sand/salt mix it would be a lot better.
Ok then....

Just seems odd since we have the Chesapeake Bay at our footsteps, and about 95% of the Rockfish (striped bass) in the world are spawned in the Chesapeake...... I would think the "tree huggers" would have similar concerns here as well.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
Dexter is talking about salt getting into fresh water salmon streams. That could cause some serious problems. Perhaps the salt isn't so bad getting into a brackish estuary like the Chesapeake? And some of the salt will probably get held up and filtered out into the soil in the watershed. Even so most jurisdictions avoid dumping snow w/salt directly into rivers and bays whether they be salt or fresh. I'm not sure what all the env concerns are but I am gonna have to look it up. I would recommend against reflexively sneering at such things unless/until you look at it in detail.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
a decade or 2 ago here in Calif, they stopped using salt due to environmental concerns because it was killing the trees along the highways. Maybe that's more of the situation in the Pac NW? At some point, they started using it again, but in very limited circumstances (overpasses mainly or if there are extreme instances where a lot of accidents are occurring). I wish they sanded the roads here, but in fact Calif uses cinders. Thus, you get a lot of BIG chunks on the road for every tire to fling up at everyone else.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
My pee parts itch

It mostly has to do with the salmon. East of the mountains there are hardly any trees to talk about and sand is still used.