Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My 2010 Pre-Runner Build – A Collection of Essential Mods for Every New Tacoma

View Poll Results: Whats your favorite mod in this thread?
The "hose clamp" and "cable strap" tailgate security mod... 24 28.24%
The rear bed cargo area compartment locks... 18 21.18%
The plywood bed liner with the 4 extra D-Ring bed tiedowns... 5 5.88%
Removing the rear seat headrests for enhanced rear view mirror visibility... 15 17.65%
Replacing the OEM cigarette lighter with an additional OEM 12V power outlet and cover... 18 21.18%
Adding an additional OEM 12V power outlet and USB port to the rear console panel... 16 18.82%
Adding the plastic soup cups and OEM ashtray for additional center console storage... 3 3.53%
I think all the mods are cool and I vote for them all... 33 38.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
olgzr is just really niceolgzr is just really niceolgzr is just really niceolgzr is just really nice
olgzr's Tacoma Gallery
Good timing on your post, I picked up a 2010 Tacoma yesterday. I do plan on doing some of those mods. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #22
Slick10 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Electrician
Name: Bill
Slick10's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for sharing your ideas with the rest of us. I've got the exact same truck. I' need some additional D-ring tie downs but wasn't sure how to attach them, you have enlightened me.

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #23
redraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
redraider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedWeirdo View Post
Looks good. The only one I'm not 100% behind is the plywood in the bed. I really like the power outlet mods and the removal of the rear headrests. Those damn headrests piss me off. And now...thanks to you, I'm headed outside with my tools to get rid of those mofos.
ditto on the plywood thing, but good job on everything else
Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #24
andrewrosz is just really niceandrewrosz is just really niceandrewrosz is just really niceandrewrosz is just really niceandrewrosz is just really nice
andrewrosz's Tacoma Gallery
$38.50 from citytoyotaparts.com for both the 12V power outlet and grey cover. Price also includes shipping.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #25
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
nice work
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #26
andrewrosz is just really niceandrewrosz is just really niceandrewrosz is just really niceandrewrosz is just really niceandrewrosz is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Pete View Post
Everything looks really good man, nice job! I might have to try some of these. Just not sure about the plywood in the bed. Won't it rot after it gets wet for a while?
Not really, at least not in my case since I always store my truck in the garage and out of the weather. On my last Tacoma (which was purchased brand new by me in 1997), I did the same plywood bed floor thing and that piece of original plywood was still in excellent shape; even after 13 years. Never had to replace it even once so I probably won't have to replace this new piece of plywood anytime soon either. Besides, even if you tear it up in a few years from heavy use, replacing it is a quick, easy, and cheap. Twenty bucks at most, and in my opinion, this sure beats the hell out of those pricey rubber bed mats that are likely to get stolen anyway...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #27
coldcanuk is a splendid one to beholdcoldcanuk is a splendid one to beholdcoldcanuk is a splendid one to beholdcoldcanuk is a splendid one to beholdcoldcanuk is a splendid one to beholdcoldcanuk is a splendid one to behold
coldcanuk's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up.

You should buy stock in JB Weld. I think I'll go get some.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #28
zimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant future

zimm52's Tacoma Gallery
Great ideas, especially about the lighter, extra 12V in the console, and usb. Thanks for sharing them.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #29
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
RickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Retired
RickG's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to RickG
Thanks for sharing your mods. Like an earlier poster, I'm on my way out now to get rid of those damn headrests.

I'd like to make that whole back area more useful (...nobody I know will ever be able to sit back there, except maybe the dog, and she doesn't like the seats much either). I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to fit that storage rack deal that's in the double cabs, in place of the jump seats.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #31
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up, very well explained. Like others have said, not sure about the plywood thing. Kind of sticks out like a sore thumb IMO, and don't see the advantage over the plane old rubber mat and drings. You obviously like it, which is all that counts. Nice work
Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #32
James
jamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamesglynn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Pete View Post
Everything looks really good man, nice job! I might have to try some of these. Just not sure about the plywood in the bed. Won't it rot after it gets wet for a while?
Nice mods...
Pete, I think he used exterior grade plywood which should be pressure treated, which is the same grade of treated as material you build a deck out of. Should last a good long while...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #33
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for shaing
Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #34
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
I think we have another PB2theMax on our hands!!! Here are his mods for reference... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238

Great Job!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #35
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Nice mods, thanks for posting them up. Also not sure on the plywood thing myself but eh... If I were to do it, I'd personally paint it black or line-x it at the least. I still like my rubber mat, but I got an undercover that'll keep it from pulling a David Blaine
Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #36
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Why plywood? why not on the bed?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #37
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
very nice Op!
one question.. maybe i missed something. Why the plywood in the bed? just curious, not tryin to stir sht.
keep up the good work
Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #38
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
very nice Op!
one question.. maybe i missed something. Why the plywood in the bed? just curious, not tryin to stir sht.
keep up the good work
Throughout this thread, several Tacoma owners have asked me why I chose plywood for the floor bed. My answer... I routinely use my Tacoma as a work truck and often transport heavy construction materials like concrete blocks, bags of cement, lumber, construction tools (like shovels, picks, a wheelbarrow, and the like), pressure cleaners, and all sorts of heavy metal things that literally have to be slid along the bed floor during loading. And as I found out early on with my last Tacoma of 12 years, plywood seems to hold up the best and can really handle the abrasion caused by raw metal scraping and sliding along the bed floor. In fact, plywood hardly shows any wear or scratching at all, even when subject to extreme use and abuse. So for me, plywood is simply the best choice. Granted, plywood may not be as appealing as other floor bed options, but it really holds up well when subject to the heavy wear and tear of transporting construction materials. And since I store my Tacoma in the garage and out of the weather, I won't be needing to relace the plywood any time soon. Indeed, my last piece of plywood floor bed (in my 1998 Tacoma) lasted 12 years and was sold along with the truck when I recently upgraded to a new 2010 Tacoma Pre-Runner. Hope this helps to clear things up as to why I chose to go with a plywood floor bed.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #40
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
it does