Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lots of milky condensation in oil cap and filler neck

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #41
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about
 
BBY2KS2K's Avatar
Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2010, #28886
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 137
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not going to sweat it too much. I watched the oil drain from the case and there was no indication of water in it. I'll get it tested next time through Blackstone to be sure. I would have done it this time, but I had already drained the oil when I popped the cap off. I'll check the PCV valve, maybe just replace it. It's a cheap part anyways.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #42
Member
Got Tacoma will become famous soon enough
Name: Gila
Joined: Nov 2009, #26385
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 48
Got Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBY2KS2K View Post
I'm not going to sweat it too much. I watched the oil drain from the case and there was no indication of water in it. I'll get it tested next time through Blackstone to be sure. I would have done it this time, but I had already drained the oil when I popped the cap off. I'll check the PCV valve, maybe just replace it. It's a cheap part anyways.
You will not see water in the oil. The water is trapped in the coffee colored jelly like substance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #43
Junior Member
Usfive is on a distinguished road
 
Usfive's Avatar
Joined: May 2009, #17387
Location: NH
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
Usfive's Tacoma Gallery
Normal?

I checked mine yesterday. I have the milky condensation on the filler tub & cap also. I checked coolant in recovery tank & radiator after it cooled and it was fine. I also checked the oil through the filler and dip stick. It looked OK too. Also, use Mobil 1.

I cleaned it and took a short trip maybe 5 miles and let the engine sit until cool again. There was a small amount again. Cleaned it and took a much longer ride 20 miles and checked it this morning and it was OK. Checked the oil through the filler tube as the engine idled and it looked OK too.

OK this is my DD and it's a one way distance of 4 miles most days with extended driving (20+) miles maybe once a week. But I've been doing this for 20 years and NEVER had this on either my '95 Tacoma 6cyl, '02 Camry 4cyl, or my '05 Solara.

If its the extended filler neck I thinking of wrapping it in insulation and see what happens.

Are others in warmer climates seeing this also?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #44
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about
 
BBY2KS2K's Avatar
Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2010, #28886
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 137
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Tacoma View Post
You will not see water in the oil. The water is trapped in the coffee colored jelly like substance.
Not neccessarily. Like I said, I'm not gonna sweat it. I'll keep an eye on it, get the oil tested and go from there. I'm sure my 6 mile commute, 1 mile trip to the gym and the cool weather are not helping. Add the fact that I work graveyard, so my truck's longest trips occur at 11:45 at night and at 8:15 in the morning. Not exactly the warmest part of the day.

I should add that a lot of the crud on the cap and filler tube in the picture was crusty and not sludgy (if there is such a word.) That to me would indicate that it is build up over time, perhaps since the truck was new. I just checked it again and there is a good amount of sludge but not nearly as bad. No funny smells, the oil on the dipstick came out clean and the coolant level is fine. I'll get the oil tested and keep you guys posted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #45
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,548
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usfive View Post
Are others in warmer climates seeing this also?
Nope. But, I change my oil more frequently in the winter time. Usually every 2500 miles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #46
Junior Member
Usfive is on a distinguished road
 
Usfive's Avatar
Joined: May 2009, #17387
Location: NH
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
Usfive's Tacoma Gallery
[/quote]

So Toyota's next commercial will show this picture and say its NORMAL!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:44 AM   #47
Senior Member
MattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the rough
 
MattN03's Avatar
Name: Matt
Joined: Jan 2009, #12571
Location: Bluegrass State
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 684
MattN03's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed this milky stuff on the oil filler cap during my last oil change also. I'm glad it seems to be normal, thankfully, mine doesn't look anything like the one above! That would have really scared me!! lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 AM   #48
Junior Member
Lexirob is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
Joined: Jan 2010, #28552
Location: Rhode Island
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Lexirob's Tacoma Gallery
Most Likely Not a Problem

I just wrote in 2 days ago in Tech Chat about this same problem. The milky stuff on mine is only under the cap and at the very top of the filler neck. If coolant is in your oil, most likely the entire filler neck would contain the stuff and you'd see it on your dipstick. Plus, my oil looks normal when drained and in 2 years the coolant has never been low. I have about a 20 min ride to work but only about 12 of those is at normal operating temp. I think this is only an issue because we see it. In the cold, an engine develops condensation overnight when the oil is sitting in the pan. On short trips the water most likely also circulates through the engine but we don't see it. Don't get me wrong, it's still not good for the motor. If they made the neck out of metal it would prob heat up more and we wouldn't have this issue. I'm going to do 3 things:

1) Warm it up more adequately before driving
2) Periodially completely clean out the cap and filler neck
3) Go from 5k oil changes to 3k oil changes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #49
Junior Member
Usfive is on a distinguished road
 
Usfive's Avatar
Joined: May 2009, #17387
Location: NH
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
Usfive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexirob View Post
If they made the neck out of metal it would prob heat up more and we wouldn't have this issue. I'm going to do 3 things:

1) Warm it up more adequately before driving
2) Periodially completely clean out the cap and filler neck
3) Go from 5k oil changes to 3k oil changes.

#4 I'm going to wrap the filler tube in fiberglass pipe insulation and see what happens on short trips.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #50
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about
 
BBY2KS2K's Avatar
Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2010, #28886
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 137
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN03 View Post
I noticed this milky stuff on the oil filler cap during my last oil change also. I'm glad it seems to be normal, thankfully, mine doesn't look anything like the one above! That would have really scared me!! lol
Yeah, I would be lying if I said it didn't scare the shit out of me. But I don't think it's anything serious. Just a build up over a long period of time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #51
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about
 
BBY2KS2K's Avatar
Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2010, #28886
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 137
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
So the 2nd gen Tacomas don't have PCV valves??? Surely it must have something in it's place. Anybody know what it's called and where it is?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #52
Member
Vectorit is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2010, #30673
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 52
Vectorit's Tacoma Gallery
OK, I admit it. I was alarmist and mistaken with my earlier posts.

My apologies to the OP.

I did some checking with other people in colder climates, and build up of the brown snot on the 710 cap is to be expected.

Now, to me this is something never seen where I am and what I have experienced.

I live in a warm to hot climate, and I never see anything like this as a normal.

Personally, my 02 is driven mainly short distances within my town. I don't use my Tacoma for commuting, so it doesn't have a steady diet of extended run time. (only 31k on the odo) I use Mobile1 oil, and a Wix filter. Never seen gunk like described in the other posts...

So, is this symptom a result of only colder climates mixed with short trips only? Driving habits?

So again, I stand corrected.

But I am still interested in what the consensus is on this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #53
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,548
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorit View Post
OK, I admit it. I was alarmist and mistaken with my earlier posts.

My apologies to the OP.

I did some checking with other people in colder climates, and build up of the brown snot on the 710 cap is to be expected.

Now, to me this is something never seen where I am and what I have experienced.

I live in a warm to hot climate, and I never see anything like this as a normal.

Personally, my 02 is driven mainly short distances within my town. I don't use my Tacoma for commuting, so it doesn't have a steady diet of extended run time. (only 31k on the odo) I use Mobile1 oil, and a Wix filter. Never seen gunk like described in the other posts...

So, is this symptom a result of only colder climates mixed with short trips only? Driving habits?

So again, I stand corrected.

But I am still interested in what the consensus is on this.
It mostly occurs in colder climates. More common where it gets below 30*.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #54
Senior Member
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BlueT's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2009, #15341
Location: NorthEast
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,275
BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorit View Post
OK, I admit it. I was alarmist and mistaken with my earlier posts.

My apologies to the OP.

I did some checking with other people in colder climates, and build up of the brown snot on the 710 cap is to be expected.

Now, to me this is something never seen where I am and what I have experienced.

I live in a warm to hot climate, and I never see anything like this as a normal.

Personally, my 02 is driven mainly short distances within my town. I don't use my Tacoma for commuting, so it doesn't have a steady diet of extended run time. (only 31k on the odo) I use Mobile1 oil, and a Wix filter. Never seen gunk like described in the other posts...

So, is this symptom a result of only colder climates mixed with short trips only? Driving habits?

So again, I stand corrected.

But I am still interested in what the consensus is on this.
Now that could be just coincident but that white residue showed on my cap after goign to Mobil 1. Now after readign bunch of post sayign "I have Mobil 1 and white stuff on my filter" I am starting to think maybe oil is playing a part role here. I will change to Rotella 5-40 for summer and see if that happens again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #55
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,548
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Now that could be just coincident but that white residue showed on my cap after goign to Mobil 1. Now after readign bunch of post sayign "I have Mobil 1 and white stuff on my filter" I am starting to think maybe oil is playing a part role here. I will change to Rotella 5-40 for summer and see if that happens again.
You should use a 5w-30. FWIW, From what I have found, Mobil 1 is less likley to have this happen. Alot of Dodge owners (Gasoline engines, and mostly the 4.7), have had this very thing happen, as the oil fill tube is similar to the Tacomas, and switching to M1 wwould eliminate this. Still interested in your findings though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #56
Senior Member
VTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Oct 2008, #9658
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 189
VTDave's Tacoma Gallery
This is a VERY common issue

I live where it's cold and moist. I take lots of short trips. This happens on all three of my vehicles, one of which is at 230k miles right now, so no need for gloom and doom.

The remedy is simple. Take a long trip every now and then to boil off the condensation. Also, shorten your oil change interval.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #57
Senior Member
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BlueT's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2009, #15341
Location: NorthEast
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,275
BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You should use a 5w-30. FWIW, From what I have found, Mobil 1 is less likley to have this happen. Alot of Dodge owners (Gasoline engines, and mostly the 4.7), have had this very thing happen, as the oil fill tube is similar to the Tacomas, and switching to M1 wwould eliminate this. Still interested in your findings though.
Honestly I have bad feeling about Mobil 1 (somebody is mixing something in it) . so I am itching for Shell Rotella.
My only problem was that old one (before T6) was not very good at cold temperature but T6 should be better. Plus with more cleaning additives maybe will prevent that.
As for Mobil 1 5w-30 suv my cars run like $it after 3000 miles (noisy mostly) once I put fresh oil it stops. That never happened. I switched my other cars to 0w-40 and Rotella 5w-40 and noise dissaper. then again I got 5w-30 from dealer for hecks and I have no noise either so I am thinking I bought bad batch of oil from Wallmart.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #58
Senior Member
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all
 
dog tired's Avatar
Army: Infantry
Joined: Jan 2010, #29750
Location: NE Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 465
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usfive View Post
I checked mine yesterday. I have the milky condensation on the filler tub & cap also. I checked coolant in recovery tank & radiator after it cooled and it was fine. I also checked the oil through the filler and dip stick. It looked OK too. Also, use Mobil 1.

I cleaned it and took a short trip maybe 5 miles and let the engine sit until cool again. There was a small amount again. Cleaned it and took a much longer ride 20 miles and checked it this morning and it was OK. Checked the oil through the filler tube as the engine idled and it looked OK too.

OK this is my DD and it's a one way distance of 4 miles most days with extended driving (20+) miles maybe once a week. But I've been doing this for 20 years and NEVER had this on either my '95 Tacoma 6cyl, '02 Camry 4cyl, or my '05 Solara.

If its the extended filler neck I thinking of wrapping it in insulation and see what happens.

Are others in warmer climates seeing this also?
If you were to look this stuff would be all over the inside of the valve covers - least it was on a old jeep I had once
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #59
Senior Member
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all
 
dog tired's Avatar
Army: Infantry
Joined: Jan 2010, #29750
Location: NE Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 465
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Honestly I have bad feeling about Mobil 1 (somebody is mixing something in it) . so I am itching for Shell Rotella.
My only problem was that old one (before T6) was not very good at cold temperature but T6 should be better. Plus with more cleaning additives maybe will prevent that.
As for Mobil 1 5w-30 suv my cars run like $it after 3000 miles (noisy mostly) once I put fresh oil it stops. That never happened. I switched my other cars to 0w-40 and Rotella 5w-40 and noise dissaper. then again I got 5w-30 from dealer for hecks and I have no noise either so I am thinking I bought bad batch of oil from Wallmart.
Mobil 1 is way over rated
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #60
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
carmellocafe's Avatar
Name: KEVIN
Joined: May 2009, #17267
Location: N. California
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,264
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
I checked mine out today. This is after about 1,200 miles since last oil change. And like I said before, it doesn't really matter how long you drive because at least 1,000 miles or so have been pretty long trips ( 2hrs.) on the highway and the mayonnaise sludge did not burn off!





I don't like the looks of this stuff. Coolant level is not changing at all either.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm concerned. yellow gunk under oil filler cap... neverstuck 2nd Gen. Tacomas 24 02-20-2012 12:23 PM
foam in my oil filler neck and cap deftoned_one Technical Chat 14 09-26-2011 09:21 AM
Milky white residue in Oil Fill Tube and Cap??? TacoMagnum 2nd Gen. Tacomas 6 01-02-2011 08:03 AM
Mold in my oil filler neck? MaineYota 2nd Gen. Tacomas 5 03-28-2010 06:32 PM
White Gunk in Oil Filler Cap/Tube Lexirob Technical Chat 3 02-21-2010 05:11 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.