Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lots of milky condensation in oil cap and filler neck

Old 12-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #121
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
True.

Although I wonder if anyone w/ the condensation has had an oil analysis done? Just out of curiousity, to see how it comes back.
Not sure, but it would all depend on when you took the oil out. If you take it out warm or hot, then moisture is prob "cooked" off. If cold, then you might get something else. Probably not evern worth it to check.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #122
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Blackstone requests that you drive 10-15 minutes (or was it miles) prior to taking the sample. Its not required and if you dont, they just ask that you note that to account for the moisture that they will come across from taking a cold sample.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #123
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Blackstone requests that you drive 10-15 minutes (or was it miles) prior to taking the sample. Its not required and if you dont, they just ask that you note that to account for the moisture that they will come across from taking a cold sample.
Well there ya go, they account for moisture if its cold. And I assume that means for any engine.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #124
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about

Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
True.

Although I wonder if anyone w/ the condensation has had an oil analysis done? Just out of curiousity, to see how it comes back.
Yep...

I have a thread about it here...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/109595-oil-gunk-under-fill-cap-revisited-got-blackstone-results-back.html

Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #125
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Well there ya go, they account for moisture if its cold. And I assume that means for any engine.
But my point is, if there are other levels found in the oil that are reading high, it may not be directly related to moisture, as everyone is assuming it is. Moisture may be a contributing factor, but not necessarily the entire cause.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #126

Quote:
But my point is, if there are other levels found in the oil that are reading high, it may not be directly related to moisture, as everyone is assuming it is. Moisture may be a contributing factor, but not necessarily the entire cause.
LOL, . I think we are arguing the same point now? Anyway, like I said before, I think its no big deal.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #127

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
LOL, . I think we are arguing the same point now? Anyway, like I said before, I think its no big deal.
probably lol
Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #128
Gwarrior4u is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Gwarrior4u's Tacoma Gallery
All the time

I have a 2010 Access Cab (V6) and I noticed this last oil change for the first time. My truck has 54K miles (I drive a lot!) I live in Virginia (temp lately in the low 20's), do a fair amount of short (few miles) trips and while it gets warm, it doesn't get *hot*. I use Castrol Edge and change the oil religously every 5K. It's good to know it's not uncommon, it kind freaked me out to see that gunk in there. I'd be up for doing the pipe insulation to the filler neck if anybody notices that helps!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #129
nlic1995 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
nlic1995's Tacoma Gallery
I have the white gunk under the filler cap and in the filler neck as well. I was advised by a mechanic at my work this morning that it's condensation from temp. change inside the engine. I've owned the truck since March and never saw that before when I've done oil changes. But then again it wasn't as cold out. I live in MA and we've had a cold snap with mornings in the single digits. I'm aware that when metal goes through extreme temp. changes is forms condensation, but it's nice to hear others have the same issue and it's not a major problem. Thanks guys.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #130
K3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud of
Name: Ricky
K3tsurui's Tacoma Gallery
Seeing this issue reminds me of a problem I've seen when someone added motor oil into their brake reservoir. You'll get a similar milky mayo substance. I believe the term for this is contamination.

There is nothing "NORMAL" about water mixing in your motor oil! Just counting the people from this one thread that have seen this would make me believe that there is a defect out there. I am only one example but I drive less than 5 mins to and 5 min from work every day, live in Upstate NY where it gets relatively colder than most of the states, have done 2 oil changes since bought new and I do NOT have mayo in my oil.

EDIT--- I LIED!!! I just went outside to check under the cap and can see very little but visible "mayo". WTF MAN!!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #131
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I drive less than 5 mins to and 5 min from work every day, live in Upstate NY where it gets relatively colder than most of the states
It is normal for that type of driving... like has been repeated many times.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #132
skycap is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
skycap's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Was reserching this topic!

Hi All, New member here, I found this tread very helpful, I just did the second oil change on my 65,000 mile new to me Taco. I saw the filler neck and cap thought head gasket! The truck is under warranty till 100,000 but I still thought the worst. Seems like this is normal (thank goodness) but I will go talk and show the service writer the cap to hear what spin he tells me. As for the design problems that were discussed in this forum, could it be it was designed to have the moisture go in the fill neck verses somewhere else? Just a thought, Thanks Taco people.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #133
Navar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Navar's Tacoma Gallery
Milky oil is not normal! I would ask for a better explanation for this "normal" I am kind of leaning towards coolant in the oil? If its condensation then where is it coming from?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar View Post
Milky oil is not normal! I would ask for a better explanation for this "normal" I am kind of leaning towards coolant in the oil? If its condensation then where is it coming from?
Read the WHOLE thread...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #135
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
The oil on my dipstick is fine. The FILL CAP has the milky residue. Like has been stated, I drive a lot of short trips, this is common.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #136
Navar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Navar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Read the WHOLE thread...
OK lol
Old 02-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #137
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap burn it before it spreads....
Old 02-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #139
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
lol I noticed this on my last oil change and it went literally nearly word for word exactly like this thread.

On a slight tangent would a Blackstone Labs test be worth the money? I'm thinking about doing it but idk.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #140
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about

Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseit View Post
lol I noticed this on my last oil change and it went literally nearly word for word exactly like this thread.

On a slight tangent would a Blackstone Labs test be worth the money? I'm thinking about doing it but idk.
That's up to you. If it won't put you out or you want some piece of mind, I say go for it. I'm the guy that posted the picture of the nasty oil cap and the Blackstone report above. I did it out of curiosity and to prove to the skeptics my truck was fine. That was four years ago and my truck still runs like a top (and still has the crap build up under the cap during the winter.)