Notices

Lots of milky condensation in oil cap and filler neck

Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
spaz10 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 2nd Recon Bn.
Name: Joe
spaz10's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Lots of milky condensation in oil cap and filler neck

I am finding a lot of yellowish milky condensation covering my filler cap and filler neck. Toyota says it's normal, but it seems like an awful lot for it to be normal. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
I just noticed this my last oil change so it makes me feel better that Toyota said it was normal. Maybe some others will chime in. I think I've heard in the past that it's condensation from the crankcase and normal. Hope it is!!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
Are you using synthetic oil? I find that the synthetic oil makes it even worse..Cause I use Mobil 1 5W-30

Do you take short trips to work each day?

My 05 Tacoma 4.0 does the same thing and it makes allot of that yellowish stuff under my oil cap and even more in the winter

It's condensation and can't burn off of the plastic oil filler neck and cap like it can on other metal engine parts witch get hotter

Not a whole lot you can do about it
Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its normal. Lots of short trips, and cold weather cause this. Change the oil more frequently.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
That is usually not a good sign, milky looking oil is a sign of water. Could be head gasket or something to that effect. Does it show up on the dip stick? If so i would definitely question there "normal" statement. Do you have a scan guage, if so i would monitor your engine temp daily, if temp continues to gradually increase over time you have a water leak somewhere.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Vectorit is on a distinguished road
Vectorit's Tacoma Gallery
To be blunt, you have serious problems.
Do not run the engine, since you are circulating coolant and will destroy the motor.

Still under warranty? drag it to the stealer and have them fix it.

No longer warrantied? drag it to the best mechanic you know, and be prepared for a big bill.

Frothy, or milky oil is "not normal".

Simple as that.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
chugchug is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
chugchug's Tacoma Gallery
I change my own oil for the first time since i bought the truck in Nov. It had a bunch of that crap in it so unbolted the filler neck and cleaned it out and put it back on.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its normal. Lots of short trips, and cold weather cause this. Change the oil more frequently.
x2
Old 02-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
That is usually not a good sign, milky looking oil is a sign of water. Could be head gasket or something to that effect. Does it show up on the dip stick? If so i would definitely question there "normal" statement. Do you have a scan guage, if so i would monitor your engine temp daily, if temp continues to gradually increase over time you have a water leak somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorit View Post
Do not run the engine, since you are circulating coolant and will destroy the motor.

No longer warrantied? drag it to the best mechanic you know, and be prepared for a big bill.

Simple as that.

Hold off on the Doom and Gloom, folks. Condensation forms under the oil cap, as mentioned, it is platic. Short trips can cause water to get into the oil, as water is a by product of the cumbustion process, and if the engine isnt run long enough at operating temp, it cant burn this off. Thus the "Milky" colored oil under the cap. Knock the oil change interval down to 3K miles durring winter, or sooner if all you do are short trips, and it should go away. Also, maybe consider sending an oil sample to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ to see how the engine is doing.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz10 View Post
I am finding a lot of yellowish milky condensation covering my filler cap and filler neck. Toyota says it's normal, but it seems like an awful lot for it to be normal. Does anyone have any ideas?
Apaz10, just liked mentioned up above my post by other members, it is probably just condensation. Could also be coolant, probably not but should check the dipstick.

Here is a link on the same subject, review both threads. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gen...ml#post1450847
Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
if it just on the cap your ok, like Chris said, just change oil more often. I get it from short file mile commutes, I suspect the extreme colds dont help either. I had oil tested and it was fine.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
No need to freak out yet. This isn't something huge.

It's called "cold water sludge" and it comes from moisture condensing in the crankcase in cold weather, and trips in the truck too short to allow the moisture to boil off.

Estimates vary, but the conventional wisdom is your engine needs to spend 20 minutes or so at operating temp to boil off condensed moisture completely.

Take a long trip every 2 or 3 trips, or start giving the engine some time to warm up. Should at least decrease the problem.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Simple as that.
Nobody said anything about milky oil. He is referring to the milky substance that collects on the underside of the filler cap due to the long, plastic filler tube being surrounded by cold air.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
dirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to behold

dirthawker1313's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Simple as that.
x2
my wifes 99 tahoe had "condensation" on her oil cap and filler neck. it turned out to be an intake manifold gasket that was leaking coolant in to the motor. its not normal to have "condensation" in the motor. once i fixed the leak the "condensation" went away.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
Condensation, water, or coolant is not a "normal" situation to just shrug off. Water, and especially coolant will tear up crank case bearings super quick.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Condensation, water, or coolant is not a "normal" situation to just shrug off. Water, and especially coolant will tear up crank case bearings super quick.
Agreed, but this isn't from some mechanical defect in his engine. It's how he's using the vehicle, and it's essentially unavoidable with that type of use.

There's a reason we always hear about engines doing their best at operating temp...it prevents this kind of stuff.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
^^What Cris4x4 said. Also, I've read the condensation forms due to the plastic fill tube...perfectly normal with our trucks and nothing to worry about.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Simple as that.
sweet mother of mercy

its a normal thing to have this under the cap. on Tacoma 4L V6 . filler neck is too long so it never heats up, synthetic makes it worse since engine runs cooler'
Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
hmmm, OK, well if that's what "the factory" tells ya then it must be OK right?

Long oil fill tube? you are kidding right?

To me I don't see this as something worthy of debate.

Water/condensation + oil = damage.

The OP should have everything checked out none the less.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #20
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
Wait stop what your doing!! this is a tsb and recall....NOT ...its no big deal ...take the tacoma on a road trip and the condensation will go away