Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I've been noticing a howling noise recently

Old 02-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
K-K-K-Kommando is on a distinguished road

K-K-K-Kommando's Tacoma Gallery
I've been noticing a howling noise recently

So my truck is an 07 with about 46200 mile on her, and when I get up to about 55-60 and it switches gears and I let off the gas to coast I've been hearing this howling sound coming from the back of the truck. It's not really that loud but it is noticeable, almost like when a train is trying to slow down on the tracks. A friend suggested it may be the drive-train an my automotive knowledge is relatively amateur, should I be alarmed?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
P-Hill Tacoma is on a distinguished road

P-Hill Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like rear end bearing going bad.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #3

Sounds plausible. If that is the case, what should I do, and how significant is the problem?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
should be under the powertrain warranty. take it to the dealer and let them fix it.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #5

Is it something I should look at immediately? or do I have sometime to play around with do you think?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
P-Hill Tacoma is on a distinguished road

P-Hill Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If that's the case it won't hurt to drive it for awhile. Eventually it will fail. Usually gets louder with time. Definetly should let the dealer do it if under warranty. They sometimes reoccur. They either last forever or they fail periodically. LSD rear ends are hard on bearings in general. Keep in mind it's hard to diagnose over the web.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the help. I'll update if I find anything new about it and I'll contact the dealer as well, they are already supposed to be fixing my windshield because the seal is leaking and water comes in through my garage door opener compartment on the ceiling.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
check your tire balance
Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
mdenesha34 is on a distinguished road
Army: 366th EN BN
mdenesha34's Tacoma Gallery
What ended up happening with your truck? I'm curious because my truck is making that howling sound also in the rear... however, it only makes the sound when I am accelerating.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever changed/checked the diff fluid? Check it for water.

Howling under load/no load is a dead giveaway that there is a gear mesh problem/diff issue.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Sconnie
mudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
mudthedoor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Have you ever changed/checked the diff fluid? Check it for water.

Howling under load/no load is a dead giveaway that there is a gear mesh problem/diff issue.
I know this thread is dead, but i have the same exact issue as descirbed, by the op and I'm wondering if there is any chance it could be my diff?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery