Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Third brake light / cargo light *pics*

Old 02-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
Third brake light / cargo light *pics*

Integrated cargo light in the third brake mod.
Hey. Haven't seen anyone do this so i thought i'd share. Some of you have done great jobs with aftermarket lights in the bed but i wanted something a little more factory looking. Materials:

-Light (I used one off the a chevy colorado. I looked at all the trucks with them and liked how they looked the best. Some mount at weird angles too, so they'd never work)

-Switch (I used one of the ones on ebay with the yellow LED's that fit into our slots.

-Add a circuit

-Wire

I put the add a circuit in the power door locks slot because it's on whether the truck is or not.

Ran the red wire to the supply on the switch, grounded the switch on one of the bolts down behind the kick panel, and ran the load wire down next to the seat under that cowling to the back panel with the seatbelt on it. That panel has a 10mm bolt that you need to take out to get it off. (just chased the brake light wire the whole way. Above the headliner and out through the hole.

The light was tough to get off, it has an adhesive gasket which i carefully ran a razor behind to cut off so as not to scratch or dent the metal around it.
Measured the new light to determine the size hole i'd need to fit it in there. (had to cut about 1x3 inches off each side) This part was really scary. It's tough to cut into your truck. Used a dremel cutting disk. (Be careful, its easy for that disk to grab and want to run up your paint. I just used masking tape to mark the hole i needed and cut inside it.

After the hole was cut i cut off the plug from the new light and from my truck and wired the grounds together, the brake light wire, and then the new wire which powers the white lights. (i wedged something against the brake pedal and tested the wires to determine which was which.)
I just used black RTV silicone and ran a bead around the back of the light to seal it to the truck. Drilled 2 small pilot holes for the screws and just screwed them right into the metal.

Don't mind the dents in the roof. they were there when i bought the truck, apparently used as a bench for a fatass. also sorry about all the salt. its snowed a ton here in the last week.

Love this mod. used it tonight while sawing on the tailgate. Really bright and had it on for like 2 hours with the truck off and no problem. let me know what you think!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Well done, sir!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
That's nice! Great job!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
bigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud of
Name: mike
bigyetti's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet. i might have to give this one a shot some time. great write up
Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
great job!...I was going to do the same thing to my truck a couple years back, but pussied out once stuff started breaking..lol
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
I always wondered why all trucks dont come with this done. I mean its so simple. Good job though, thanks for posting.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great and it definitely looks oem-ish.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Great Job!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Awesome, got ballz man. The only thing I might have done diff was put it upside-down... I think it'd flow with the truck's lines better. Still, awesome job!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome mod! I miss not having a cargo light. It's one of those things that you never realize just how useful it is until you've had one.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #13
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Awesome, got ballz man. The only thing I might have done diff was put it upside-down... I think it'd flow with the truck's lines better. Still, awesome job!
I know what you mean but it's not flat, it has an angle to it to compensate for the fact that the roof isn't flat there. if it was upside down it would point up in the air. thanks though!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #14
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. This needs to be added into the mods sticky.

Don't think I have the nards myself to cut into my truck, but great work.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
tooxslick is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
tooxslick's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Bryan. This is an awesome mod! I also agree that this sound be stickied.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #17
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job Bryan! I was stopped @ a triffic light behind a Colorado last night and was thinking... Toyota should have cargo lights like that. Definitely got more nads than I do to go cuttin on my truck.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
Wow. Nice job Man! looks great!
Curious why you put the 3rd brake light in so the contour sides go up instead of down?
OEM light light goes this way,/ \ and the new light goes \ /
Was that so it would fit?
Yeah. Someone said the same thing on a different thread. And yes, the light is designed to fit on the back of the truck where it's contoured upward, so the light has a 30 degree or so bevel to it to make it point straight back and not up. Had to shop around to find one that mounted on a similar angle as the tacomas actually. all trucks have different shapes back there.
So yes it is angled differently than OEM, but I didn't have a choice, and actually like this way better. On cars, \ / tends to be more sporty and aggressive than / \.