1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scan Gauge 2 setup? Or problem? or am I complete NOOB, LOL!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Breadbox, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Feb 22, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    Breadbox

Breadbox [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    4" lift; ION and Camburg, custom progressive rear springs no overload; ION Bumps; Roadmaster Active suspension, quick disconnect sways front and rear, Nitro 4.10s, Detroit TrueTrac, ECGS bushing, Aluminess Rear bumper w/swing outs and flood lights, 285/70/17 on ProComp Steelies, Kenwood NAV, URD Short Shifter, CB, front rally bar with LED flows and fogs, RockSliders, FWC.
    Hey-Ya! So, after reading tons of threads on how everyone loves the ScanGauge II and all...I bought one.

Well...seems like I have a problem? I guess, the first question, is anyone using this device on a 2010 Tacoma with the 4.0L (USA California OBDII)?

I have tried every single setting as well as Auto mode on the Scangauge and it never connects to the cars computer? Actually the most I've gotten this device to do is by forcing it to a "CANx" mode it actually trips the Traction Control and ABS lights which then won't go out until I disconnect the scangauge and the re-start the truck.

I guess the question is what settings is everyone using?
    Has everyone just been able to plug it in with "Auto" mode and have a connection?

For christ sake is there a failure of my ECU???? Doesn't seem likely?

I checked the firmware on the Scangauge and it is 3.17 so that seems pretty new as per the website. Nothing seems to connect this to the truck. I don't have any check engine lights or any problems what so ever but is it possible the ECU is malfunctioning but still keeping the car drivable and not tripping any lights. Or is it possible I just have a faulty Scangauge? For now I'm going to assume a faulty ScanGauge but thought I'd post and see if anyone has some tips, if any of you had to force a protocol or speed or anything? Oh, and yes I've tried both serial ports on the guage too.

Thanks!

2. Feb 22, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    As far as I remember...it's all plug & play.

Did you follow the instructions in the scangauge manual?

After you plug it into your OBD port - and turn the scangauge on...what exactly happens? Do you have any pictures?

3. Feb 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Breadbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    4" lift; ION and Camburg, custom progressive rear springs no overload; ION Bumps; Roadmaster Active suspension, quick disconnect sways front and rear, Nitro 4.10s, Detroit TrueTrac, ECGS bushing, Aluminess Rear bumper w/swing outs and flood lights, 285/70/17 on ProComp Steelies, Kenwood NAV, URD Short Shifter, CB, front rally bar with LED flows and fogs, RockSliders, FWC.
    Yeah, I've tried all the trouble shooting stuff in the manual.
    I've talked to Scangauge they say it should work. They are going to send me another unit to try as a return/warranty thing. Also sending me another cable in case it's the cable that is bad.

But yes, I plug the gauge in, turn the truck on, Scangauge starts up and shows "Connecting..." then never changes to anything else.
    Eventually it will trip some warning lights on my dash in Auto Mode.
    If I try to force a "Mode" it causes the Traction light and ABS lights to come on and stay on until I turn off the truck and remove or set scangauge to defaults. I've tried every combination of "Mode" with no connection and just causing craziness on my dash lights. I guess I have to wait a week for the new scangauge to show up and try again. I hope I didn't fry my computer plugging this thing in!?:notsure:

4. Feb 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    Breadbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    P.S. I don't suppose anyone has the Pin-Out and Color Codes for the OBDII port? I could check and see if my Toyota has crossed wires somewhere?

5. Feb 22, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    pyrite_taco

pyrite_taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    south jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite DC TRD Sport JBL
    i have a Scangauge II on my 2010 4.0, worked no probs out of the box. works fine also with the fast setting for communication update rate
    i made no other changes to the unit except back light color and adding / config gauges that i want displayed

6. Feb 22, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Have you tried it in another vehicle? That would determine if it was your truck or the scan gauge that's FUBAR.

7. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    Breadbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    I wish I could. Don't have a second car. Maybe I'll ask my neighbor tonight after work if I can use his car as a test...
    Since someone else here uses it on a 2010 tacoma, I'm not to happy now...:(

8. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Did you unplug it and then plug it back in? Is it pressed in entirely? Did you make sure the phone jack into the unit is plugged in correctly? Unplug/plug it back in. Check the wires to make sure they're not messed up inside the wires or the chord?

WHich OBD port did you use - the one under the dash?

9. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    Breadbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    Janster, yep. Using the port under the dash by the left foot under the steering wheel.
    Scangauge is sending me a unit and a cable just in case what you say is true there is a problem with the cable.

The scangauge does power up and tries to talk with the truck but that's about it...never connects and actually causes warning lights to come on on my dash after a while.

I've tried unplugging, made sure everything is connected tight. I've tired both ports on the scangauge the side one and back one...

10. Feb 22, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Just a thought but, did you check to see if any pins on the connector are pushed in?

11. Feb 23, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    Breadbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    Kyouto42, I checked my DLC3 port and it looks OK. But when I looked at the cable for the ScanGauge it looks to me like there is no wire in the Pin 1 of the RJ--45 connector...???? Do you have a scangauge, or anyone here can you confirm that there IS suppose to be a wire in that slot on the RJ-45? Or not? Maybe it's just a bad cable either way scangauge said they are sending a unit and a wire but it would be nice to know if one of the pins is suppose to have no wire in it? It's either pin 1 or 8 I'm not sure the direction but the very first pin looking at it doesn't look like there is any copper in there?

Thanks!

12. Feb 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    pyrite_taco

pyrite_taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    south jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite DC TRD Sport JBL
    I just checked my cable, it has all 8 pins on the RJ-45 plug. I also looked at the spare wire that i ordered, it also has all 8 pins.

EDIT:

another thought have you tried both female ports on the scangauge?

13. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    Breadbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    THANKS! This is good news.When I get home I'm going to check that cable again with a magnifying glass. From the front of it it sure looks like one of the pins doesn't have a cable -- I think the Brown colored one is missing. I clearly see copper in all pins but one. Hard to see through the plastic so I'll double check later.

Yes, I did try both ports on the scangauge.

Thanks again for the info!

14. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Not all of the pins may be present. OBD-II uses the ISO 15765-4 format.

Pin-out explanation
    http://alflash.com.ua/tools2.htm

FSM DLC PDF. (see last few pages)

15. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    I would return it and get a new one. You shouldn't have all these problems with a new one.

16. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    Breadbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    Well, a quick update. :help:

The new scangauge arrived and it still doesn't work. SO I started some investigation on my own and I have found that it seems to be a problem with my 3 week old truck. The CAN bus seems to be shorted out to the B+ line. If there are any Toy-Techs on here, any common failure items I should look at? The Service manual goes a little deep into the circuit testing beyond what I think I can properly follow?

YES, I've already made an appointment at the Dealer for after the Blizzard here on the east cost...LOL...But, I'm just the curious type and would like to probe this further if I can find some assistance. For those techs who might be able to help the symptoms are obviously I cannot communicate with the CAN system as well as I show NO Resistance from pins 6 and 14 to pin 16...or CAN-H and CAN-L are shorted to power "Somewhere?":boom:

Thanks! I'll keep you all posted to what the dealer finds or if I probe it further and find the problem.

17. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:47 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    CAN system. Keep in mind this is from the 05-06 FSM. It "should" be the same except maybe some different wire colors.

18. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:54 AM
    Breadbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    Yeah, I've been using that on-line manual and all the color codes and locations of the connectors seem to be the same. That's how I got to the point of figuring out that there is a Short in the system. Because the connector for the entire bus is behind the passenger Air-Bag...that's when I stopped tracing the problem and said to myself "Still under warrantee" called to make the appointment. BUT...I don't have much confidence in dealerships I won't go into all my horror stories now so that's kind of why I'd like to trace this out myself too...

Thanks for the Link...:thumbsup:

19. Feb 25, 2010 at 5:02 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    You think they would test that system before it left the factory. It's probably the easiest thing to do. I am curious to see what the issue is. :popcorn:

Products Discussed in

To Top