1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bent Back Bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flightcancled, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Feb 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled [OP] Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    So the previous owner of my truck appears to have backed into something at some point, bending the back bumper down. Its not a huge deal, but it does piss me off a bit and considering that it appears to otherwise be in good shape I am hoping there is a hanger or something that I just need to bend back into place or something.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics by clicking the little camera.

2. Feb 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    FL Forester

FL Forester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    loosen the bolts that hold the bumper on and straighten it out.

3. Feb 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Its really that easy? Awesome! Where are the bolts located?

4. Feb 22, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i'd recommend getting down on the ground and taking a look underneath the truck.

5. Feb 22, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Thanks for the sarcasm, but when that cold metal grate covered in snow and road salt is your work-space you want to have a good idea of what you are doing while people walking by on the side walk are tripping over your legs. ;)

6. Feb 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    You laugh but honestly that's the only way to find out what's going on. It's possible there's a lot more damage than you might think... you really should inspect it. The bumpers are pretty solid on there, not much room for play at all. I know cause I swapped out my chromie for a color matched one...

7. Feb 22, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    True, but from the outside there appears to be no damage, so I am willing to bet it is something simple like it spun on the mounting nuts/bracket.

8. Feb 22, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
  9. Feb 23, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Awesome, thanks for the help! Hopefully this is not the case, but if there is something bent down do you think it would be possible to bend it back up with some blocks and jacks?

10. Feb 23, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    you can move the bumper around quite a bit with a little brute force. although, you may want to save your enegery...since these bumpers seem to attrack alot of attacks from other motorists. mine's been smacked 3 times in the last 14 months

11. Feb 23, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    Boomtacoma01

Boomtacoma01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    10 bolts as Timmer stated. The OEM bumpers bend if you look at them wrong. Thats why I replaced mine. It is probably would be nearly impossible to get it back to the OEM spec though. The steel in these bumpers is fairly "springy". I ripped mine up on the rocks and got it fairly straight but it still looked crappy. If you do decide to try it at least remove the taillight so you dont crack the lens like I did. ;)

12. Feb 23, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Looks like they used the bumper for a trailer ball mount instead of the receiver hitch. Get under the truck and look around. Like others have said, probably just a bent bracket.

13. Feb 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    If all this is true should I invest the time and energy in machining a stronger set of brackets? Seems like a set of beefy steel brackets would the solution to all these problems.

14. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Would really only be worth it if you replace the whole bumper, but then aftermarket bumpers come with stronger mounts.

Even if you strengthen the mounts the stock bumper is still pretty tinny and will bend if bumped.

I'd just bend things back to where they should be and call it a day. Replace everything only if it's necessary, or if you plan on going with another stock bumper in the future in the event that this one gets dinged.

15. Feb 23, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Well whatever caused that was pretty powerful, I lifted the truck a full six inches, and I only got the bumper to lift about 1/2 way back. At this point it looks like it is at the right height, just needs to be re adjusted. Those bolts are not budging whatsoever though, and without an air impact wrench I am stuck.

Products Discussed in

To Top