Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stuck Windshield Wiper!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Jevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to all

Navy: MM3
Name: Joe
Jevansjr15's Tacoma Gallery
Stuck Windshield Wiper!

Has anyone else had this problem??

I went to turn on my wipers today and my drivers side didn't move at all. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. I pulled over and tried to move it manually, and actually thought I fixed it, but Its still stuck!

Anyone have any tips/tricks for this? Would something like this still be under warranty? I hear the motors are not very cheap!

Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Is the wiper arm still attached to the spline stud on the truck? Maybe the nut holding it down loosened up enough to warrant it useless.

There is only one windshield wiper motor, so if you're having trouble with just one side dig a little deeper to find the problem.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check the nut holding the wiper on? At the base, there's a small black plastic cover. Pop that off and try tightening up the nut. It's made to let the wiper break loose if need be to save the motor I believe.

I had this happen just about a month ago. Had just a slight amount of snow on the windshield. I hit the wiper, the passenger side was able to push it. The driver side wiper went up a bit and then just stopped. The passenger side wiper even bent the end of the driver side wiper, which was brand new. I was able to bend it back well enough by hand to still be usable though.

ETA: If I remember correctly the nut is a 14mm.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Jevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to all

Navy: MM3
Name: Joe
Jevansjr15's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to look for that nut. Hopefully its that easy to fix.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to bump an old thread but I had the exact same problem last evening after a little snow. One wiper wiped and the other only made an offer to move and just stopped. Once I manually cleared the windshield, the wiper moved but you could tell it was not working right. Plus I could move the arm when the wipers were turned off.

I searched here and found this thread. I tried the solution above with the 14mm socket and discovered the bolt was really loose. Tightened it and works great now. Just remember to position the wiper at the correct resting spot before tightening.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: truck driver 1404
Name: chris
toyotadude5's Tacoma Gallery
yes happens to me all the time. you need to tighten the nut olding the arm.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
dvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant future
dvdrdclf's Tacoma Gallery
this just happened to me. tightened the nut, seems to work now. thanks TW!!