Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

suspension tsb issue-banging after tsb????!!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
suspension tsb issue-banging after tsb????!!!!

so i got my suspension tsb done this past friday, and i just noticed today over continuous divots and bumps in the road that my rear right suspension is banging around, like something IMPORTANT is loose, and im worried that it will damage my new truck... any ideas?

also the front left end bangs going up speed bumps, not as loudly as the rear does though...

HELP!!!!????

i already left a message with my local dealer, hoping they will call me in the morning...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the leaf springs are moving laterally to one another causing the clunk. This has been happening to mine for years but I just learn to live with it. I fabbed up some clamps that worked for awhile but as they wore the clunk came back.

Go to the rear of your truck in the wheel well area and grab the side of your bed rail. Shake you truck back and forth (side to side) as hard as you can for 12 revolutions or so. This reproduces the noise for me. When I got a buddy to shake the truck I climbed underneath and confirmed this was what it was. Used to happen with my first gen as well but I blamed it on my AAL's and it took much more flexing to hear it.

You'll hear it most often when pulling into a driveway over a curb or crawling over any raised obstacle at an angle. The front sway bar bushings wear quickly as well and cause a clunk sometimes (rubber bushing in middle of bar, not the end links). I'm after replacing mine once and will do so again this spring as my front clunk is back again as well...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
check to make sure the head of the bolts on the hangers are on the inside.. my neighbor had his done and they inserted the bolts in b/w and they were contacting the frame. willing to bet thats whats happening here.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
okay, thanks, how do i go upon switching them if they are backwards
Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
The bolts are just that - a bolt and a nut. if they in backwards you should be able to simply loosen them and insert them the other way. You may have to take some weight off the suspension with your jack (on the frame rail) however as I expect without doing this the holes will become misaligned with the trucks weight on the springs. Best bet if you aren't comfortable with doing it/don't have the time, etc - take it back and have them make it right.

If this is indeed your problem you should see where the bolts have the paint rubbed off the frame. I don't see how they would contact the frame as the hangers are welded to the frame and move with it - not towards it. The bolt heads on mine are on the outside - nuts inside.

EDIT:

Here is a pic of the hanger wand how it is welded to the frame. I don't see how orientation of the bolts should matter as the hanger and frame don't move independent of each other. Everything I have saw has the bolt head outside - opposite of what SETaco has said?

Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
the hangar is a spacer that toyota installed, i will try to get a picture, but it relocated the bolt holes, and im wondering if the spacer is the problem...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #8

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1999t View Post
the hangar is a spacer that toyota installed, i will try to get a picture, but it relocated the bolt holes, and im wondering if the spacer is the problem...
Do you mean the rear shackle?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
yes, sorry