Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 check engine light

Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
afireinside is on a distinguished road
afireinside's Tacoma Gallery
2005 check engine light

So I went in today and I had my check engine light read. For a brief history my check engine light has been coming on and off for about 3 months. Everytime Im about to get it read it turns off. One more interesting thing is that when it comes on I lose my traction control and all those lights also come on. Well the read today said o2 sensor was failing. The tech says these trucks (V6) have 4 o2 sensors, is this correct? He couldn't tell which one it was or how many. I have a magnaflow exhaust which he thought might be the cause. If my o2 sensors are indeed bad could this be responsable for bad MPGs? Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
you shouldn't need the check engine light on to read the code. the computer should store the code for future refrence....
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Dependent, pops was a Major
Name: Alex
Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
well the only thing i can say if that if you just have the muffler then no because the o2 sensors are further back closer to the front of the truck. if you have a cat back exhaust then maybe but i doubt it.

i dont know about the 4 o2 sensors i have a 4 banger and i think i have 2 of them so i would seem right that you have 4.

other than that i have no uead how to check the sensors, good luck on finding out
Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
I changed the oil 2000 miles ago. The tech said the computer was telling him that the o2 sensors before and after the cat were reading the same.. Sorry I don't know anything about this and I bought the truck with the exhaust already installed. Could an oil change make the check engine light come on?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, V6 has 4 O2 sensors. Pretty sure you should be able to tell which ones are gone by reading the code.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Did they tell you the exact code?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
Did they tell you the exact code?
No he didn't tell me the exact code and he did erase the computer. Is replacing an o2 sensor considered a DIY job?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
I changed the oil 2000 miles ago. The tech said the computer was telling him that the o2 sensors before and after the cat were reading the same.. Sorry I don't know anything about this and I bought the truck with the exhaust already installed. Could an oil change make the check engine light come on?
It is possible, especially if the computer wasn't reset. Did you do the change yourself? And did you reset the computer? I believe you are supposed to after every change of the oil. Does the light stay on all of the time, or does it shut off occasionally. Also, when you are starting up, does it flash and then go to solid, or is it solid from the moment you turn the truck on?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how many 02 sensors, 4 sounds right. (might have read that on here before) A bad o2 sensor can have a negative impact on your mpgs. It monitors oxygen levels in the exhaust and tells the computer what type of fuel/air mixture to use.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Replacing an o2 sensor is NOT a DIY job, unless you are handy with a welder and have the tools to put it in. If you want to wait a week or so, I am doing a complete overhaul of my exhaust system and am taking out the cats... I will tell you if it throws a code on me or not. If it is determined that it is in fact your exhaust, a company by the name of Empire sells o2 retard units to get rid of that code, and the light.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
It is possible, especially if the computer wasn't reset. Did you do the change yourself? And did you reset the computer? I believe you are supposed to after every change of the oil. Does the light stay on all of the time, or does it shut off occasionally. Also, when you are starting up, does it flash and then go to solid, or is it solid from the moment you turn the truck on?
I think you must be referring to the maintenance light. The light that is coming on is the CEL. And it comes and goes a couple times a month. I reset the maintenance light a few weeks ago.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Quote:
Replacing an o2 sensor is NOT a DIY job, unless you are handy with a welder and have the tools to put it in. If you want to wait a week or so, I am doing a complete overhaul of my exhaust system and am taking out the cats... I will tell you if it throws a code on me or not. If it is determined that it is in fact your exhaust, a company by the name of Empire sells o2 retard units to get rid of that code, and the light.
Yeah that would be great thanks. I don't think that it is anything serious because the truck still runs fine I just lose traction control when it is on..
Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
thekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thekidcatcher's Tacoma Gallery
It may be the TSB that Toyota had with the catalyitic convertors on our trucks. I had the same problem, Check engine light came on and it read O2 sensors. They screwed me over cause I had aftermarket headers so they told me to F off even though it was their cat that was jacked up and not because of anything I had done. May be worth a shot, make them give you something for free
Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
Vivid Illumination

My bad... I got myself confused. My first post is about your oil, which is apparently unrelated here haha. The second one about the exhaust is legitimate though. When CEL comes on do you notice any difference in your truck's behavior?

Also, since you said your traction control doesn't work when it codes, do you know how your wiring in these trucks work? Go and look up the wiring diagram for the truck and check your connections. A disconnection of one of the vehicle's major functions could very well make the CEL come on...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidcatcher View Post
It may be the TSB that Toyota had with the catalyitic convertors on our trucks. I had the same problem, Check engine light came on and it read O2 sensors. They screwed me over cause I had aftermarket headers so they told me to F off even though it was their cat that was jacked up and not because of anything I had done. May be worth a shot, make them give you something for free
Do you think I have a chance if it is out of warranty?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
Quote:
My bad... I got myself confused. My first post is about your oil, which is apparently unrelated here haha. The second one about the exhaust is legitimate though. When CEL comes on do you notice any difference in your truck's behavior?
Haha. I also have a 04 4runner and my wife told me "Babe, my engine light has been on for like 3 months..". I was thinking you have got to be kidding me, 3 months and you are telling me now??? Luckly it was the oil change light and I just reset it. I did notice one time that right before it came on my truck was idling at 500 RPMs when it is usually at about 800. It was a little rough at idle and then the light of doom came on!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #20
jfr02 will become famous soon enough

Army:
jfr02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have to disagree this is a diy job.I have replaced more o2 sensors than i can count and never needed a welder.From what i have seen there are two styles of o2 sensors.One the sensor itself has threads on it unscrew and screw back in make sure to have the connector unplugged while doing this.The other like on my 99 taco had two nuts that held it on.If you do this yourself get some pb blaster and soak it overnight prior just to be on the safe side.