1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

gas mileage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacovic, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:05 PM
    tacovic

tacovic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    ok i do not own a tacoma but im hoping to pick up a 1st gen soon. ive owned a couple tacomas before. why is it that these trucks get such bad gas mileage? its a midsized truck with a v6 and its getting equal to or less than full size trucks with big v8s. why is it this? and why hasnt toyota found a way to make these trucks more fuel efficient? you would think a selling point for a midsized truck with a v6 would be its mpg, but with these trucks its nothing to brag about.

2. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    Dr_Kevorkian

Dr_Kevorkian Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Pyrite Mica AC
    i have no idea what your talking about because i get pretty decent gas milage.

3. Feb 23, 2010 at 11:49 PM
    tacovic

tacovic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    do you have a v6? and what mileage do you get? ive had 2 98 tacomas and in both of them i would get about 18 mpg tops on the highway. and from what ive gathered here thats about right. ive never owned a 2nd gen but from what ive seen here it looks as if the average is a little higher than the 1st gens. i was just wondering why a midsize truck with a v6 would get around the same mpg as a full size v8 truck.

4. Feb 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    It has a lot to do with the fact that the HP on our V6 (2nd gen) is within 20-60 of the entry V-8 for a full size truck. Oh, and we use it :)

I just got my first over 20 tank. (20.64) with a DC OR 4x4 with only 3k on the clock and still running dino oil. May not sound like much to you. To me it tickles me that this much larger truck with way more power is already getting within 4mpd of the 2WD manual trans four cyl Nissan I was driving before. I can see 22 once everything is dialed in and shifted to synthetic.

Everything is relative.

5. Feb 24, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Yeah I don't get it either there are engines out there
    even Toyota engines that get better mileage and more zip.
    Look at Nissan's 4.0 engine I had one and it was darn fast , real fast ( one of the only things I liked about it )

6. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    I have no complaints with my 4.0 V-6 gas MPG

I'm getting 19.3 MPG average says my Interceptor scan gauge

And that's all around town so probably better on the highway

7. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:23 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I have been getting 18-22 depending on my driving. I'm pretty happy with that. My V6 Ford Ranger with a manual was about the same.

8. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    Creemore

Creemore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey TRD Sport/leather pkg.
    20.3 mpg (US gallons) on my last tank. It's not incredible mileage, but it's not too bad for a V6.

9. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    grizzbear

grizzbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    last tank was interstate driving about 80 and i was getting 13mpg but thats with a 6inch lift and 35s my rpms were around 2800 to 3000

Products Discussed in

To Top