1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Surging at a Stoplight

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by coolreed, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    kulitxplod

kulitxplod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner
    My 2010 does it as well, really problematic when pulling into the garage for me. On a wet concrete floor, even with the brakes held with a stern foot, the truck will nudge forward.

This is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has had as powerful as a surge as this one does. For me, it generally happens when the truck is below 1k RPM, the A/C is on, and the compressor clutch disengages.

2. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    SubFrozen

SubFrozen r00t

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco SR5 V6
    3" OME Heavy Duty Lift, 18" Chrome Rimes, ARB Front Bumper, K&N Cold Air Intake
    ^^ your link doesn't work.

I always put my truck in Neutral if I'm at a long stop light. Mine doesn't start moving, however, it will surge in the engine before what feels like going into a passive clutch mode while I'm in drive. I'm assuming it's downshifting, so instead of thinking I'm wearing down parts each time I sit at a light, I just throw it in neutral.

3. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    see thats a different response, somewhat helpful instead of telling him he shouldn't drive and stop crying....

his truck actually has an issue and he is just asking about it, he is not crying about something he saw on tv and wants to make a buck out of....

4. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Just a thought, but if your rear-ended by another vehicle and your in neutral you'll fly into the vehicle in front of you! Worse still, if your 1st at the stoplight you could fly into moving traffic!

5. Feb 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/

x5 the answer above it. If you feel it happening,,,check the position of your dials.

6. Feb 24, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    sleepdr

sleepdr Active Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR, Black Sand Pearl
    That's useful info. I've been running in defrost or mix position this winter, and had several surging episodes. Other vehicles I've driven actually had the a/c light go on when switching to defrost. Since there was no usual idiot light indicating that the compressor was churning, it was "out of sight, out of mind."

7. Feb 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    vatechoma

vatechoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryl
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Off Road
    thank you for the comic relief haha

8. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    docuw

docuw Active Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DBL TRD Offroad
    3" Lift: Front - OME 885 Springs with N140S, Toytec 1/2" Spacer; Rear - TSB Leafs with Toytec TSB AAL and OME N182S. Total Chaos UCA's, Access Tonnaeu Cover, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, Polished Aluminum Bull Bar, Bed Mat.
    I found this issue to be a nuisance as well. In fact, I hesitate to let the wife drive my rig due to this problem as I fear that she'll be distracted at the stop light and not realize she needs to press the brake harder.

I also didn't realize that if the control was set to defrost setting that it would engage the AC. As sleepdr mentioned, my other vehicles (honda in particular) would display the AC light on even if you didnt turn it on, but had the dial on a defrost position. It took me quite a while to realize that it was the AC reving the engine speed at the stop due to the mix/defrost position on the control. That extra demand from the AC asks the engine speed to increase enough to overcome the power brake assist.

So, not to bring up the whining issue again (yeah, I'm talkin to you whippersnapper02 :D ), but is this an issue that most are resolved to just live with (yes, whippersnapper, I know your answer is to hold the brake down)?

What is the reason that this rig does it, and many other makes don't have the same issue? I just bought a GMC for the wife - no similar problem, even with the AC maxed out. What would be the resolution - An ECU recalibration to tell the engine to ignore the AC demand at low RPM? That's probably not great either.

9. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    mattsowell

mattsowell Ridiculously lazy member

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD DC SB sport debadged
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    baaaahahahahahahahaha. Some of the stuff on here is priceless. I was directed to both a little more entertaining link and this more useful link by the good peeps of TW. Am a little new but ask a few questions and spend some hours reading and you will find almost anything u need here. (including a laugh). I am verrrrrrrrrry appreciative of all the help and info. All you who put the time in to document, video tape, take pictures, and go to school long enough to be a mechanic deserve a beer on me. PM me if within a couple hours drive of Kamloops, BC here on the west coast of Canada. I got a fridge full of cold ones at all times...

10. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    I don't believe I've had any problems with this in my 05'...but it's not the first time I've heard of it.

11. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
  12. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The majority of standard transmission drivers leave it in neutral at lights. Doesn't seem to be an issue. Plus having it in gear won't provide that much resistance going forward, at least less than your brakes ever will while the engine is running.

13. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    The surge didn't surprise me cause the Nissan Frontier I had before did the same thing, in fact all three previous Nissan trucks I owned before my Tacoma had the surge. I thought it was normal, just keep your foot on the brake, surprised it's such a big deal.

14. Jun 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    mattsowell

mattsowell Ridiculously lazy member

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD DC SB sport debadged
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    so as it turns out. I driven around and tested with ac on or defrost. al the combinations that were mentions and this is what I found: Yes, the RPM definitely increases when the ac something something turns on. It only happens when those settings are on as mentioned before. No, this is not the same issue as I am having. MY issue is that it seems to downshift when I am sitting idle (I know many are having the same issues but so far the only explanations I have heard are the ac and axle wrapping). I know it is not serious as a safety concern and I don't let my wife drive unless I've been drinking so I've just warned her to keep on the brakes. It still bugs me that it's "normal" and yet none of the vehicles I have ever driven has had that kind of jump to it. Anywho, just my $.02 on the debate so far...

Products Discussed in

To Top