Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuel Economy

Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #41
NomolosTRD is on a distinguished road

NomolosTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
What Brand and kind of oil are you using..?
What ever the dealership puts in, nothing special.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #42
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, oil whether dino or synthetic doesn't wear-out. What does happen is the oil becomes contaminated with particulates and it's these particulates in the oil that can cause significant engine damage. Thats why it's critical to use a good high performance oil filter and change your oil to remove as many as these particulates as possible. If most of your miles are 'highway' and the truck is not been driven 'hard' then it's same to say most drivers can exceed the recommended 5000 miles mark before a oil change. However, if you make a lot of 'short drives' or drive on 'dusty-dirty' roads then 5000 miles may be a bit too long for dino oil. Toyota recommends 5000 miles as an average but mostly list 5000 for warranty certification purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomolosTRD View Post
I have tested the mileage on my truck and it seems that when the oil has just been changed, the truck will get anywhere from 300 - 320 miles per tank. As the oil gets worn out, the engine gets sluggish and i end up getting around 250-275 per tank. I don't know why Toyota recommends changing the oil every 5,000 miles; it gets really sluggish after 3,000. I jus keep changing the oil every 2,500 miles now to keep the fuel efficiency up.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #43
allan is on a distinguished road
allan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyredken View Post
I just don't understand where in the hell you are getting 26 -28 MPG on your V6 4x4... I haven't seen that on any sticker, website... even toyota, or owners manual.

You you are getting it confused with something else, maybe a different car/truck... you have to be..

Come on guys, back me up here! This is crazy !
Toyota Canada Page 13 of the Detail specification for 4x4 Automatic V6
States 26mpg/ you must be an undercover rep for toyota.
Go to the web and check (Canada)
Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #44
coreyredken is on a distinguished road

coreyredken's Tacoma Gallery
Okay guys... turns out this guy (allan) isn't a freak after all... check this out.. if you can figure it out..

Go to Toyota.ca
Pick English (unless you can read French) and look at the Tocoma and then to Specifications, scroll down till you see the Fuel Economy..... just take a long look...

So, tell me what is going on there? Kinda Crazy eh?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #45
allan is on a distinguished road
allan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Coryredken

And my truck really does have alot of wind noise, Ithought I'd try a Tacoma because I heard great reviews,but not so. My GMC Sierra has a much quieter ride and its 10 years old. I really was expecting more out of the toyota
Old 06-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #46
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Check this out, it is from the other thread that I linked at the begining of this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaster View Post
The results derived from this survey will be inaccurate. For accuracy, only American members should vote or consumption should be measured in miles per liter and not gallons since the US gallon contains 3.785 liters and the Canadian gallon contains 4.546 liters.
With almost an entire liter of extra fuel per "Gallon", I can see how they would say that a Tacoma would get better MP"G"...

Thanks to Themaster for his insight.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:07 AM   #47
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, maybe he's not crazy. I can't believe that they rate the mpg that high in Canada. I would probably be pissed too if my manual told me i would get mileage like that and was so far off. FYI allan, good mileage for your truck would be between 17-21mpg. with a combination of highway and city driving, while using the AC most of the time i get 17 to 18. On long trips that are just highway i get around 20. That is acceptable mileage for your truck.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 AM   #48
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
When I first viewed Toyota of Canada site and looked at the numbers, I said... this is one serious misprint; however, here's what I believe has happened:

Canada gallons(Imperial) vs US gallons(US):

1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons

Therefore;

22 MPG in the US = 26.4 MPG in Canada

This would explain the difference in the numbers and in my IMO is somewhat deceptive. However, these numbers are only realistic when you convert back to US from Imperial. Therefore, no Tacoma was advertised at 26MPG but rather only when Imperial gallons were used to make the calculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyredken View Post
Okay guys... turns out this guy (allan) isn't a freak after all... check this out.. if you can figure it out..

Go to Toyota.ca
Pick English (unless you can read French) and look at the Tocoma and then to Specifications, scroll down till you see the Fuel Economy..... just take a long look...

So, tell me what is going on there? Kinda Crazy eh?

Products Discussed in this Thread