Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replaced Cold Air Intake - Still Have Noise

Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
kbutton1 is on a distinguished road
kbutton1's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Replaced Cold Air Intake - Still Have Noise

I recently installed the TRD Cold Air Intake to get rid of that annoying vibration while in reverse or at 1500 rpm or less. Worked fine for about two days and noise returned.

I checked all of the bolts and noticed one of them had some space between the black box on the intake and a bracket which holds the a/c line in place. I disassembled the unit, inserted a washer, tightened everything up and it worked like a champ. For about a week.

NOW! I have the same noise coming from the cold air intake side AGAIN, but it sounds a little closer to the firewall. Checked for loose bolts - could not find any.

Any hints? What can I check in the engine compartment? What can I check in the cabin?

It's driving me crazy.

Please do not suggest I turn up the radio.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
At work so I can't surf the forums too much but I remember reading a thread here about how the TRD intakes vibrate / rub on something. So a lot of people were buying those double sided foam square tape pieces and putting it on the side of the intake box. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
Well I found two things -

Here's a thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-trd-cai.html

Here's some tsb was in a thread as well that was interesting and sounded like your problem.

Technical Service
BULLETIN
August 1, 2006
ENGINE

Title:
AIR INTAKE HOSE RATTLE
Models:
’05 – ’06 Tacoma (1GR–FE)
EG046-06
Introduction
Applicable
Vehicles
Production
Change
Information
Some 2005 – 2006 model year Tacoma customers (1GR–FE only) may complain of a
rattle noise from the right front fender area while the vehicle is idling in drive or reverse.
The air intake hose assembly has been improved to reduce noise from contact between
the air intake hose assembly and fender.
2005 – 2006 model year Tacoma vehicles equipped with the 1GR–FE engine and
produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
MODEL ENGINE PLANT PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
TacomaTacoma 1GR FE1GR–FE
NUMMI 5TE#U#2N#6Z268587
TMMBC 3TM#U#2N#6M002937
Parts
Information
PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER PART NAME QTY
17882–0P010 Same Hose, Cool Air Intake 1
Warranty
Information
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
EG5035 R & R Air Intake Hose 0.5 17882–0P010 91 99
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is
in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
in-service date.
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
Toyota Supports ASE Certification
Page 1 of 2

AIR INTAKE HOSE RATTLE – EG046-06 August 1, 2006
Repair Remove and replace the air intake hose.
Procedure
Air Intake Hose
Air Cleaner Assembly
N..m (kgf..cm, ft..lbf) : Specified Torque
12 (122, 9)
Page 2 of 2
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Lifes a garden, dig it.
huntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant future

Army: 63H
Name: Fred
huntinggunns's Tacoma Gallery
Had a 2007 4.0 6 speed that did the same thing. The noise you are hearing is where the air cleaner pipe goes through the inner fender well (the foam is just not thick enough to keep it from vibrating on the sheet metal). You can pull the assembly and try to put thicker foam around it (worked for a couple of weeks but came back again) or just cut the tube flush where it goes through the fender well (finally took care of it). Good luck, Fred.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SpaceMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have an annoying rumble when I put the truck in reverse and i have the TRD CAI. Hmmm...
Old 02-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Lifes a garden, dig it.
huntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant futurehuntinggunns has a brilliant future

Army: 63H
Name: Fred
huntinggunns's Tacoma Gallery
If you pull the airbox and look at the sheet metal you will see a shiny spot where it is rubbing and vibrating. This should be where the noise is coming from. Take a look, Fred.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinggunns View Post
Had a 2007 4.0 6 speed that did the same thing. The noise you are hearing is where the air cleaner pipe goes through the inner fender well (the foam is just not thick enough to keep it from vibrating on the sheet metal). You can pull the assembly and try to put thicker foam around it (worked for a couple of weeks but came back again) or just cut the tube flush where it goes through the fender well (finally took care of it). Good luck, Fred.
Thank you so much, I had the Air Intake TSB done and the vibe is back and really is bad when the engine is cold in cold temps, I will get a friend to help me do this for I am not taking it back to toyota for the fix......to the OP I wish you the best in finding a solution to your TRD intake vibration, mine is stock and rattles like crazy in reverse & low rpms even after the suppose fix.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Well today I finally took a better look at this rattle. It drives me crazy.
The dealer supposedly had done the TSB.

Well, the foam around the hose going into the fender is about 1/4" thick & the bottom part underneath which you cannot get to unless you take off washer reservoir had fallen out. Not that it mattered, it only was paper thick.

I used camper shell dense foam all around the area. Its got the 3m sticky stuff on one side. Put it all back together & no rattle....unless...I put it in reverse & slowly back up. But only in reverse. I can put it in park & give it gas & no noise.

Well that is my rant on this stupid intake rattle.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
I'n having this exact same issue.... doesn't look like the new hose even fixes the problem, anyone find a fix on this?? Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
THEDREWS is on a distinguished road
THEDREWS's Tacoma Gallery
God forsaken rattle at cold start-up

I have the same thing happen on my 2008 TRD prerunner. It sounds like marballs rolling around in the crankcase then settling in just to start up again then stop again. This is driving me insane, the dealer wants 105.00 dollars to diagnose it. Yeah right! I can't believe on these threads how many things this could be. Is there anyone out there that has any better idea on what the hell this rattle is? It appears that no dealer knows either. I bought a toyota on how good everyone said they are, but i'm leaning back towards GM. From the rattle at start up, to the ticking blower fan, to the compass light going out, to the glove box issues, to the squeaking left front end, to the knocking leaf spring. need i say more. I never had these small nuisances on any GM product.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
gjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud ofgjacobsjr has much to be proud of

Air Force: 1st Recon Squadron
Name: Jerry
gjacobsjr's Tacoma Gallery
buy a newer truck
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
Foxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Foxer's Tacoma Gallery
Yeap it's definately that tube... I just went back to the stock airbox after removing a trd intake and noticed it instantly... sounds like the noise vinyl material makes when you cut it with a sawzall and the blade catches it the right way it and vibrates. Does it on a cold starts and in reverse. (basically whenever the truck is more prone to vibrate)

I like the cutting idea.. time to get out the sawzall and some varoius sockets 8mm thru 12mm. And a ratchet and extension.

good times
Old 03-23-2014, 04:22 AM   #13
Bully is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Bully's Tacoma Gallery
I had it too. I just tweaked the tube and tightened the screw.....worked for me. So far
Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
forealz is on a distinguished road
forealz's Tacoma Gallery
Any chance one of you can take a pic with the padding you installed or weatherstripping mod?